Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490096 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Polonium 86, you mean. Plutonium has more protons than that. And it's artificial, so if they actually ran out they could just make more.

Even an unshielded reactor wouldn't be much danger, honestly. Unless it actually melted down, it would still be emitting mostly fast particle and electromagnetic radiation, both of which aren't really that deadly and tend to go away quickly anyway.
Meant Plutonium 238 . Which can also be made, but there are currently no reprocessing plants making it in operation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

We are fine with useing it for power. Just cant power weapons with it.

Good rockets have failure rates between 1%-5%.  You sure you want to put radioactive material in there?

They decided that we aren't allowed to use them in the atmosphere over 50 years ago. It's really not a big problem.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

All these safeguards are applicable to very small amounts of materails used in a slow fissile manner.  It's a lot less easy to put a safety envelope around your second or third stage engines, especially considering the sheer size that a nuclear engine would require.

Yes there isn't any danger of a fissile chain reaction leading to an explosion.  There is however a pretty significant concern that you might detonate a dirty bomb over florida and lead to massive economic fallout.

The technological hurdles to do this safetly aren't insurmountable but they won't be solved anytime soon.  There are much more promising avenues of exploration for high velocity propulsion methods.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Meant Plutonium 238 . Which can also be made, but there are currently no reprocessing plants making it in operation.
I was talking about the plutonium when I said it could be made. I'm not sure polonium is transmutable.

All these safeguards are applicable to very small amounts of materails used in a slow fissile manner.  It's a lot less easy to put a safety envelope around your second or third stage engines, especially considering the sheer size that a nuclear engine would require.

Yes there isn't any danger of a fissile chain reaction leading to an explosion.  There is however a pretty significant concern that you might detonate a dirty bomb over florida and lead to massive economic fallout.

The technological hurdles to do this safetly aren't insurmountable but they won't be solved anytime soon.  There are much more promising avenues of exploration for high velocity propulsion methods.

I don't think a NERVA engine could actually melt down. It's supposed to spend all its heat on the propellant. Even if it did, it would do so in space, since it doesn't even get used in the atmosphere.
Nothing important here, move along.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A nuclear meltdown in space would be awesome. A sphere of molten metal throwing out neutrons like they're going out of style.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

A nuclear meltdown in space would be awesome. A sphere of molten metal throwing out neutrons like they're going out of style.
We'll be sure to do it over your house :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A variant of the "launch-rockets-with-nuclear-explosions" technology is actually on NASA's roadmap. Go here, access TA01, go to pages 18 and 27 of the .pdf, and look for "External Pulsed Plasma". Readiness for limited flight testing is anticipated for the early 2020's. However, the report later dismisses nuclear (launch) propulsion as being "non-credible", and it was written by scientists and engineers, so it's not reflective of policy or budgetary limitations.

I wouldn't expect the later to be a problem for the Kerbals.

Fake edit: Stars don't have containment vessels to melt through, hence they're not in a state of meltdown. They're also mostly not metal.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Hydrogen can be metallic!

Also stars are always in a constant state of meltdown. Just look at Miley Cyrus!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Probably some decompiling nonsense or something.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Velocities are given if you mouse over the planet, and SMA can be calculated.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vroom vroom
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:42:46 pm by BigD145 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

As a matter of fact, I do not dare to kiss those lips. However, have you considered using a landing strut or two to flip it back upright in the event of a roll?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When it flips something blows up. If it's still controllable it could easily flip itself back over in low G. Just don't turn it too quickly and it's fine.

I kinda started fiddling with build a dinosaur, but the way parts connect and where they connect is making it very difficult. The only way I can see doing it is using oodles of the tiny box frames as contact points. Even then a Mecha Gojira would be a nightmare to build.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Out of curiosity, are the velocities of the planets or the length of their semimajor axis given anywhere in the game, or do people just fiddle with what is given to you (at least in career mode) to get values?

When you select a planet two small icon appears on the left side of the screen, center height, with miscellaneous information. I remember some numbers here but cannot remember what because I navigate with nodes and not math.

Also, wiki.
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 848