Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489367 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to say I'm pretty miffed at the Sensor Array Nosecone. While it brings back ok science (20-24) it claims to be giving you ten times that until you actually transmit or recover it.

I was wondering what that was.... damn nosecones!

And the data size is 200!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a known and reported bug. It's actually an easily fixable one too, there's just a bad value in ScienceDefs.cfg which causes the wrong number to display.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It's not really a "bad value" as such, the bug is that the initial in-flight report shows a different amount of science than you'll actually get. The value of the nosecone's aerial data is permanently capped at 0.1, but the in-flight report doesn't show you that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know this is small-time compared to a lot of what goes on in this thread, but I just managed to land an intact probe on Eve!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So very proud.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Am I the only one that feels probes are kind of like cheating?

Isn't this about putting/crashing Kerbalkind where no Kerbalkind has been put/crashed before?

I dunno, unless Jeb, and/or Bob and/or Bill are smiling victoriously or panicking over their impending doom it just isn't the same...

That said, I've only just gotten to Minmus and haven't ever gone further than that so... grain of salt, two cents, and all that ;)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

I found my Kethane probes to be really thematic and pleasing... just watching them orbit around endlessly scanning. Having a kerbal sit in a tiny can for years on end seems like a waste.

My latest Mun mission was successful, a vehicle with four landers that dispersed kerbals to various craters for new surface samples and science!
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Anyone experimented with MOOSE (Man Out of Orbit Simple and Easy [or whatever])?  I've seen a few examples using ladders and wings to make boxes...

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

cheating?

I prefer to think of it as "easy mode" ;) Plus, I'm so terrible at this game, if I didn't have some success I'd probably ragequit more than I already do. Also, I'm perpetually terrified of losing Jeb; he's too awesome to lose!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can use KAS and just plain grab a radial parachute and deorbit. :P

Also. I love how this thing looks in space.

I quite like how it looks mining Kethane on Moho as well. ^_^
(mods used: Kethane, Near Future Propulsion, one little insignificant part from KAS. And FAR/Deadly Reentry, but they didn't affect much.)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Oh, I use probes to scan for things, but I definitely take them to wherever they're supposed to be on a manned craft, and then detach them! At least most of the time :) For landings and things, there definitely needs to be a kerbonaut in there!

Sean, wow, that's pretty amazing! There's a lot of weight there, I'm surprised that thing held together on a long journey, and that you had the fuel for it! Nice!

Also, there's a Kerbal hiding in the back! What's he doing?!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He's not hiding, he's appreciating the view.

There's another kerbal on the top. Gang's all here. ^_^

Also, it's not very heavy. I tried to save as much mass as possible. Argon tanks are lightweight (relatively), the heaviest things here are the pod, the drills (1 ton each), and the reactor (6 tons). The whole craft is about.. 28 tons or so. I think.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:30:40 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

@Sean: Ah, but I see you are suffering from the same wonky lander leg bug that has plagued so many of my designs. I've had to edit the config so the engineers would stop using bed-springs for heavy duty pistons.

Other than that little issue, this is a great release. I'm amazed how much the science system has added to the game; I'm flying several simultaneous flyby missions, making more use of SRB's than I ever used to, and revisiting old but practical designs. Less is more!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Sean: Ah, but I see you are suffering from the same wonky lander leg bug that has plagued so many of my designs. I've had to edit the config so the engineers would stop using bed-springs for heavy duty pistons.
Only slightly. I managed to land fairly level, and nothing happened to tip it over. The effect you're seeing is primarily a perspective trick - check how high the segments of the Kethane drills are off the ground. ;)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I finally managed to get my first ever (EVER!) landing and return on Minmus.  I am aware that this is absolutely nothing compared to what some on here have achieved, but it's a big deal for me.   :D  I've had KSP since way back when, but I've never actually done more than land on the Mun and return back to Kerbin (so, in a sense, I've almost exactly mirrored real-life space exploration  :-[).

Spoiler: Warning, big image (click to show/hide)

Now for the next step in my explorations...

...modding!

I've just extracted Kethane (because awesome) and Near Future Propulsion (because those engines look amazing!), and will see how they go.  :)

P.S.  Yes, there is a technical flaw in my lander design that I didn't spot until I got to Minmus.  Stupid lander leg blocking the ladder.  Glad the gravity is as low as it is!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Word of advice: I had to manually modify the Kethane Converters to be able to convert Kethane into Near Future Propulsion's new fuels, Argon and Hydrogen. A future version of NFPP might fix that, but in the meantime I suggest you perform those modifications yourself.

Add
Code: [Select]
MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
    InputRates
    {
        Kethane = 1.5
        ElectricCharge = 3
    }
    OutputRatios
    {
        ArgonGas = 0.4
    }
}MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
    InputRates
    {
        Kethane = 1.3
        ElectricCharge = 4
    }
    OutputRatios
    {
        HydrogenGas = 0.6
    }
}
to the kethane_1m_converter 's part.cfg, and add
Code: [Select]
MODULE
{
    name = KethaneConverter
    HeatProduction = 300
    InputRates
    {
        Kethane = 2
        ElectricCharge = 8
    }
    OutputRatios
    {
        ArgonGas = 0.25
    }
}
MODULE
{
    name = KethaneConverter
    HeatProduction = 400
    InputRates
    {
        Kethane = 1.8
        ElectricCharge = 12
    }
    OutputRatios
    {
        HydrogenGas = 0.55
    }
}
to kethane_2m_converter 's part.cfg.

Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 848