Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489748 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

This is because Bill was piloting.  Jeb would have landed on the right moon.  Jeb would have landed on every moon.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

This is because Bill was piloting.  Jeb would have landed on the right moon.  Jeb would have landed on every moon.
(Removes hat)

He was a good Kerbal.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm actually in danger of losing my Jeb.  I'm making a return from Eeloo with only 1,000-ish Dv remaining...  Gonna take about 300 to change inclination, gonna hope the other 700 can get me into a VERY harsh approach...  Not gonna bother with changing orbits or anything.  Just gonna make a straight dive out of high solar orbit and slam into the atmosphere at... probably something like 8,000 km/h.

Goddammit Jeb...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

He's not dead yet!

<enter Bob Kerman>

*fanfare*

So why is Minmus so much easier? Less gravity?

Also, another really important thing is that once you get to space/orbit, you want to definitely be using the more efficient engines. Look for the engines with the most ISP, which essentially stands for efficiency. These will have less power, but they will produce more acceleration for the same amount of fuel. Longer burns, but less fuel burnt total.

Make sure to have enough of them for landing though, 'cause they're difficult to stop. I had a fairly heavy rover once, and very little fuel with which to land. I think I must've tried to land it, oh, about 20-odd times before it finally worked. But worked it did... can't say I had much fuel left though!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minmus has a lot less gravity.  You can achieve escape velocity with just your EVA suit.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm actually in danger of losing my Jeb.  I'm making a return from Eeloo with only 1,000-ish Dv remaining...  Gonna take about 300 to change inclination, gonna hope the other 700 can get me into a VERY harsh approach...  Not gonna bother with changing orbits or anything.  Just gonna make a straight dive out of high solar orbit and slam into the atmosphere at... probably something like 8,000 km/h.

Goddammit Jeb...
I misjudged my speed.  Solar Peri was about 1,200 km/s and Kerbin Peri was 65km (by choice) and about 4,500 km/s.  This was not enough to aerobrake, and I escaped orbit with no fuel left.  Jebediah is now floating in solar orbit, waiting for a lucky Kerbin intercept with his parachutes out.

I assume he's spending this time dancing and thinking about how Bill has sabotaged him...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Now it's time for me to ask for some advice.  Since it seems other people don't have an issue with this.

How the heck do you land where you intend to?  I set up maneuvers so that it looks like I'll land in the kerbin desert, intentionally overshooting a little figuring the atmosphere will slow me down a bit and I still missed the desert by miles.  I can aim a node to drop me someplace, wait a couple minutes and look at it again and it's miles off.

It seems like I would have no chance of ever sending a rescue mission anywhere if I can't even hit a thousand mile wide desert.  What is your secret?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Overshoot alot.  It's not just air resistance, it's also the planet's rotation.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course...rotation.  That explains why where the nodes say they drop me is always heading west.  I feel like an idiot now :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mechjeb also has a landing autopilot, for landing at a position and for doing the actual slowing burns.  You can enable landing markers and then fly manually to get an idea of how rotation and airbrakes work.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I shot another probe at Eve, this time with parachutes.
One problem though, I attached the parachutes to the probe itself, which meant it was violently ripped off when the parachutes deployed! The rest of the craft landed perfectly though... just minus the actual probe.

Damn you Eve, eater of probes!

It did net me 400 science from all the transmitting I had done in orbit and the atmosphere.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I too would suggest mechjeb so it can lead by example.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hold on a sec

mechjeb is released for 0.22 somewhere?

goddamnit i were doing all this stuff i weren't used to by hand while i could have mechjeb crashing me into the mun by now

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hold on a sec

mechjeb is released for 0.22 somewhere?

goddamnit i were doing all this stuff i weren't used to by hand while i could have mechjeb crashing me into the mun by now

Here: http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/
Install the zip. The dll is for updates only as the part has not changed in a long time.

You can also alter the old .21 version by hand.

I need a redesign now because of couplers going 1 to 3 to 3 to 1. Or more space tape. MOAR SPACE TAPE
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:46:04 am by BigD145 »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wanted to explore the new science compound.  But walking was so slow and I didn't have rover parts unlocked.

So I made do with what I had.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If this dosn't give me a scholorship to the Wile-E Cyote school of vheicle design I don't know what will.

You need to apply full brakes and use the reaction wheel to add extra weight to one side's brakes to turn, it moves by powering the engine up to 10% in short bursts.  It is actually capable of becoming airborne...once... if full power is applied.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 848