Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489848 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Wow, I feel special. That button's one of the few things I figured out really, really quickly.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I found the update late.
Then my computer was a twit.
Then I screwed around for youtube.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a well answered thread from the official forums re: recovery vs transmission and diminishing returns.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53170-Science-Question-When-How-do-diminished-returns-kick-in-with-radio-transmissions

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Q.E.D.: Spamming science from deep-space probes is a good idea.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I think the point value could be tweaked a lot (no matter how many soil samples you "transmit" back, you're still going to get more use out of actually bringing the sample home), but overall, I like the system. I would like an overview of completed experiments, of course, and a few hints at experiments I haven't done yet, but other than that...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Discovered science is saved in your [KSP path]/saves/[savename]/persistent.sfs file.
Sciences are separated into [sciencetype]@[location]. An example being "mysteryGoo@KerbinInSpaceLow".
Each science you've discovered has whether it's been discovered, the current value per data, the base value per data, the ammount of science you've gained so far from it, and the cap for how much can be gained from it.

Code: [Select]
Science
{
id = mysteryGoo@KerbinInSpaceLow
title = Mystery Goo™ Observation while in space near Kerbin
dsc = 1
scv = 0.1975309
sbv = 1
sci = 14.44444
cap = 18
}

Base value seems to be based on location.
Kerbin on land=0.3
Kerbin in water=0.4
Kerbin in atmosphere=0.7
Kerbin orbit=1
Mun Orbit=3

PS: The "orbit" locations are actually "sphere of influence" locations. Actually being in orbit is not required to do science in those locations.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:39:33 pm by Leonon »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

That can't be totally true.  I know there's differences between 'close' and 'high' orbits...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I still wish it was split into "Transmittable data" and "Recover-only data", and clicking "transmit" sends the transmit data and stores the recover data. Everything else can be the same, only being able to save one sample per Kerbal, one crew report, one experiment per container. But splitting them into "Transmit" and "Recover" data makes sense, is easier to figure out what you need to do*, and is how, I think, NASA does it, transmitting the astronauts reports and observations and then when the lander returns home, investigating the samples.

As it is, you have to pick "transmit" or "recover", with weird nonsense math to figure out which is best and getting even more science from doing the same experiment again? I mean that makes sense, more data points are always good, but you'd think it'd be related to whether you transmitted or recovered.

*Watching JefMajor just click transmit -constantly- was painful, then he goes on to say "Well I can't transmit it so I guess I HAVE to recover, that sucks" which just baffled me.

TL; DR: I would prefer if the system was like this: recover/transmit split of data, ex. Out of 10, 4 is transmittable. You transmit 4, it saves 6 for recovery. You recover, you get the remaining 6 for a total of 10. If you don't recover and do the experiment again, you have 6, 0 of which is transmittable, from the original experiment. Doing the experiment after a full recovery gives you a smaller amount of total data, because while it's a reinforcing data point, it isn't a novel experiment, I.E. "We know what happens when this does that, but this second experiment tells us we didn't screw up the first time."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I has a question. How do you plant your flag once you're on the Mun?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

EVA.  Land and right click your Kerbal.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

EVA.  Land and right click your Kerbal.
Thanks. I feel like a tard for not knowing that though. >.<

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That can't be totally true.  I know there's differences between 'close' and 'high' orbits...
They're two different science resources but they have the same base values for gaining science points. There's quite a few under the "Kerbin on land" category.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

-snip-

What about just recovering the data? It sounds like you'll lose out if you don't put an antenna on your ship.
Nothing important here, move along.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I really like the system now that I know you cannot lose out on science. Its never wasted, you simply don't get it all that time.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

-snip-

What about just recovering the data? It sounds like you'll lose out if you don't put an antenna on your ship.
Damnit I thought I was being clear with "recover ONLY", as in you can ONLY recover that data. I MEANT it to mean that while you can -only- recover the recover-data, you can transmit or recover the transmit data and get the same amount of that data either way.

Basically, you would be transmitting because you don't think you'll be able to get your probe/ship home in one piece, either by design by sending an un-manned ship out into the kerbol system, or by accident by running out of fuel. That and a precaution, you transmit your data before you land in case you destroy the continers/your capsule.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:31:28 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 848