Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489891 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

This would make a fun succession game. Each player can launch a ship, complete the mission, and spend the Science they get before handing the game off to the next player.
This. Last time was extremely fun. Want more.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Seems like a good idea. Also, since this uses in game features. It has zero workload.

If nobody wants to set it up, I'll do it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I'm prepping the thread

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I'd participate.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I'd participate, too, but as a very, very novice rocketeer I'm not good at collecting much science.
Nothing important here, move along.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I'd be in for it, preferably with Mechjeb.  I admit I've grown fat and lazy in this time of automatic maneuver nodes and bringing super-large ships to orbit...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Ok, I'll start the thread. Join up here!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I'm prepping the thread
You know, I believe someone else was planning to do something.

Edit: Now you did it. We have 2 OP's.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

I did what someone suggested and got 360 science out of a single trip with fairly basic parts:
1) Launch
2) Orbit
3) When in periapsis, prograde burn until you leave Kerbin orbit
4) In solar orbit, do !!SCIENCE!!
5) Burn retrograde, attempt and perhaps fail at getting back to kerbin.

Landings are definitely a whole lot tougher, and parachutes a whole lot less parachutey in this version. Definitely unlock radial parachutes ASAP, or have enough fuel/engines to break the fall.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I haven't had any trouble with chutes. As long as the chute is just holding the pod and maybe a little equipment, it'll usually land fine. I even landed a pod and solid booster... though the booster itself exploded.
Nothing important here, move along.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

As someone just starting out on the career (only have up to the stability tech) what's some good ways to get some science?

I find it's fastest to really really push the boundaries of what you can do with each tech. Your first launch should orbit. Your second launch should fly-by the moon. Your third should land (though mine needed launch 4 because there wasn't enough fuel...)
How could you possibly do that on the early tech? I can still only just push into Kerbin orbit, and then no further. Building larger craft would end up with overengineering problems.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I haven't had any trouble with chutes. As long as the chute is just holding the pod and maybe a little equipment, it'll usually land fine. I even landed a pod and solid booster... though the booster itself exploded.
You can easily have a pod and Science Jr. land on only a single top-mounted chute.  Hardware-assisted-landings do help.  Having an empty fuel tank or SRB on the bottom of a rocket can break your crash enough that the upper items survive.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Rescue missions are about 120% more awesome in 0.22.

I have already failed 5 of them. Now Jeb has some company up there on the Mün.

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I noticed that parachute landings sometimes crash your vehicle or break components if you have any time acceleration going on.

Drop to 1x right before chute fully opening, and 1x before touchdown seems to do the trick for me.
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 848