Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490503 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5565 on: September 28, 2013, 04:00:42 pm »

What about the sheath idea?
No way I know of. Not stock anyways. (Purely coherence, not empirical.)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5566 on: September 28, 2013, 04:03:23 pm »

What about the sheath idea?
If you're dead-set on it, you could work on it with docking ports and some figgigling to piece the ship together on the launch pad by decoupling the structs and docking the ports...  But it gets heavy and impractical.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: September 28, 2013, 04:16:17 pm »

So the latest in my series of 'make rockets based on SpaceX's rockets' has shown that, while the smaller Falcon 9 and Falcon 9 Heavy - alikes made with medium rockets and fuel tanks works gloriously (can escape the sun in fact), doing the same with mainsails and orange tanks doesn't work well at all. The larger forces resulting from more fuel and thrust end up making the entire rocket unstable and prone to randomly just dropping its shit everywhere.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: September 28, 2013, 04:49:14 pm »

Then try limiting acceleration? You are using liquid fuel, it's a nice boon.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: September 28, 2013, 09:26:35 pm »

Doesn't work with Falcon-alikes. The thrust:weight ratio is very low, to the point where they barely lift off the ground when full (the smaller version actually needed to burn for about 2 seconds, as its thrust:weight starts at 1:1). As seen in that image, it's be thrusting on full for 2 minutes and is at a mere 10km and 225m/s.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: September 28, 2013, 09:42:04 pm »

It'd be great if there was a parts editor, where you had to maintain the physics of what you're editting.(so no 100% efficient super-thrusters with no downsides)

For those of us who can't mod, of course. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: September 28, 2013, 09:47:28 pm »

I had similar problems with the gargantuan rockets I attempted making in the demo, generally i found more struts and creative use of decouplers+struts helped, but I could never get the N 1 to orbit. (oddly enough it's difficult to get a rocket composed of lots of little engines to work correctly)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: September 29, 2013, 05:04:50 am »

Wow. I am absolutely terrible at this game.

Like, seriously. My asparagus system drains -backwards-. The central tank empties out soon after the first two outer tanks.

Adding more thrust and changing the systems to be more efficient makes my rocket go slower and not reach as high. :v

So either my game is bugged or I am absolutely wretched.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: September 29, 2013, 05:17:29 am »

You need to be careful from which tank you set the fuel line. If you start it at the central one, the central tank will drain into whichever one you linked it to.

Anyway, the Enhanced Navball mod is amazing. A must-have for people who like to fly by the Navball without including too many maneuvers.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: September 29, 2013, 07:43:52 am »

Are there any mods with walking legs?
I want to put a quadropod rover on the Mun.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

March

• Bay Watcher
  • undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:23 am »

Just search the spaceport for "robotic" or "legs" your bound to find something.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: September 29, 2013, 07:54:25 am »

It'd be great if there was a parts editor, where you had to maintain the physics of what you're editting.(so no 100% efficient super-thrusters with no downsides)

For those of us who can't mod, of course. :P
Actually, I remember seeing some kind of dynamic in game part development mod. It looked very interesting. And it still has phsyics and stuff.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: September 30, 2013, 02:33:11 am »

Search the plugins forum for "procedural". Right now there are procedural tanks, procedural wings, and procedural fairings. I think procedural engines were in the works.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: September 30, 2013, 02:40:40 am »

My first orbital depot was a failure. I sent up a resupply craft. When i tried to approach it, the acceleration got stuck and the craft collided at a relative speed of 100mps. It was very pretty.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: September 30, 2013, 03:37:19 am »

My updated space tug, in a display of true Kerbal "let's see what this baby can do" mentality, aborted its second test flight's "return to Kerbin" stage, and set course for the Mun.

Good news: it got there.

Bad news:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...kiiiiinda ran out of fuel. Not enough to crash, but enough to be unable to get out of the crater I landed in. On rockets, at least. Winch-crawling go! ^_^

Still, that leaves Erbree Kerman stranded on the Mun with no fuel. And you know what that means...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rrrrescue mission! :D
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 848