Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484383 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Anyone have tips on how to recover crew from a landed mission on Kerbin?
For example: I have a splashed down crew pod on the complete other side of the planet from my base, so a retrieval rover is somewhat out of the question, especially since fast forwarding breaks rovers. Would an orbiting space plane work?
Select it from the tracking station and press 'recover mission'?
[/missingthepoint]
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile

Out of fuel, rover upside down with smashed solars, flag at just the right angle to never catch any sun so you need to use floodlights to see it?
Just another KSP Mission.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

My post-update Mun mission was slightly more successful. I had enough fuel to return, but my parachutes had a nasty habit of ripping the command pod from the engines, and therefore, from the other parachutes, so I'd invariably crash into the water at an absolutely breakneck 18 m/s. So, I orbited instead. Now it's just a matter of sending a rescue ship.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

I always use nuclear engines when in space, including lunar landings. Are those sideboosters any good for landing on the Mun and getting back into orbit and/or back to Kerbin?

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile

I am very much confused by the new ASAS system. I think, if I understand correctly, ASAS and SAS are kind of combined. Anything that says SAS Enabled "functions" like the old ASAS, aka, it provides input to control surfaces and the like.

The other non-rcs parts on the control tab provide torque, which keeps you from spinning I guess?

Either way, unless I am missing something, there seems to be no heading assist any more.

I keep flipping over with the new SAS, even with a ship pretty much composed of RCS and control surfaces. And batteries.
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

I did only two launches but it seems good for me so far.
Also holy crap the quad coupling engines. I replaced my mainsails by four basi engines on my standard launcher and I gained so much efficiency that the mainsail is going to rust in the hangar from now on.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

Really?! I guess I need to try that. My main way of getting things to the Mun right now is a 1+8+16 mainsail setup :P

Also, I just got a nice rover down to the Mun where it proceeded to extract some Kethane! HUZZAH!

The problem of course is that now it doesn't have enough fuel to get back up to wherever because I'm an idiot and didn't put a generator on there. I'm wondering whether I can drop a some generator base next to it. The problem being - how do I transfer fuel? I guess I could do a spider-like thing, the rover gets beneath it, and docks onto a bottom port, then transfers kethane, the base converts it into oxidizer+fuel, and refuels the rover. That could be a thing. Perhaps it can even mine while docked? Hmmmm...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Bah the new asas work greats to keep things pointed upward but drifts slightly donwards when on planes/horizontal things 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone have tips on how to recover crew from a landed mission on Kerbin?
For example: I have a splashed down crew pod on the complete other side of the planet from my base, so a retrieval rover is somewhat out of the question, especially since fast forwarding breaks rovers. Would an orbiting space plane work?
Select it from the tracking station and press 'recover mission'?
[/missingthepoint]
Thats a thing I can do? Oh. Never realized.

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile

Really?! I guess I need to try that. My main way of getting things to the Mun right now is a 1+8+16 mainsail setup :P

Also, I just got a nice rover down to the Mun where it proceeded to extract some Kethane! HUZZAH!

The problem of course is that now it doesn't have enough fuel to get back up to wherever because I'm an idiot and didn't put a generator on there. I'm wondering whether I can drop a some generator base next to it. The problem being - how do I transfer fuel? I guess I could do a spider-like thing, the rover gets beneath it, and docks onto a bottom port, then transfers kethane, the base converts it into oxidizer+fuel, and refuels the rover. That could be a thing. Perhaps it can even mine while docked? Hmmmm...

Next time, put that Kethane part on your ship that's in the Science tab...It blends Kerbals into about 150 units of Kethane.
Drop a 'rescue crew' nearby, grindy grind and off ye go.
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you may be taking human resources a bit too literally.

Then again, it's pretty much par for the course on this forum.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

Next time, put that Kethane part on your ship that's in the Science tab...It blends Kerbals into about 150 units of Kethane.
Drop a 'rescue crew' nearby, grindy grind and off ye go.

Well, I never! Bill Kerman is not going to be turned into fuel! I mean, he just got off some pretty tough situations... like this one.

Besides, the epic Mun Mining Rover needs no such inkerbane (inhumane) measures. Took quite the remodelling of the carrying vessel, but the conversion station finally made it to the Mun. The landing was calculated with such pinpoint accuracy (it was luck...) that I literally had to boost it an extra not to crash into the rover!!!

After withdrawing some landing struts, driving the rover in (lost an "extra" solar panel by crashing into deployed langing gear), and firing the engines just a tiny bit so the docking ports would connect, mining and conversion operations were commenced.

Behold the power of this fully operational Death St... Mun Mining Base!

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

Well, I brought Jebediah down from orbit using a rescue craft. Now for Bob. He got seperated from Jeb when I sent up an earlier iteration of the rescue craft which ran out of fuel, so I have to send another up.

Spoiler: The crew transfer (click to show/hide)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

this is what I am using for all my launches, it is boring as hell as far as design goes, but can bring 100t to the mun with no effort.

and here is my exploration vessel, built over three sections of about 100t each. coincidence? I THINK NOT!

the lander should be able to land anywhere, drop the two rovers and get back to dock with the vessel.

there's room for improvement, however: the capsule as it is cannot return to kerbin after being spent for a descent, so I have to recover my kerbonaut from orbit each time they return for refuelling the modules and loading a new exploration section.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 848