Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485014 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

So if I understand you correctly, the commsats point their dish at the space probe (or is this not necessary), and the space probe has a dish for each commsat? Or does it just point at Kerbin? I'm not sure when it's okay to point at a body instead of individual stateliness.
That's exactly what I'm testing now actually. I'll let you know soon. :)

Edit: The forum post for the mod says this:

If you have two vessels that are far apart (for example one in orbit around Kerbin, and one around the Mun) you don't need to precisely point them at each other, it's enough to point them at each others planets.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:57:03 pm by forsaken1111 »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Good to know, but isn't the moon close enough for antennae anyway?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Good to know, but isn't the moon close enough for antennae anyway?
Mun is 11.4 million meters away. I don't think any of the omni reach that far, do they?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

The non stock one goes 20m meters. nvm it goes 8Mm

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

It SEEMS like once you're not in the same SOI of the planet you can point the dish at the planet. Once I was within the munar SOI I could target kerbin and it would pick the nearest commsat with a dish aimed at the mun.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I'm really hoping that, if we get space resources, we get at least a few tiny asteroids with ice and other mineables on them, because I want to put one in orbit and then use that as a permanent fueling base.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I'm really hoping that, if we get space resources, we get at least a few tiny asteroids with ice and other mineables on them, because I want to put one in orbit and then use that as a permanent fueling base.
They said already that an asteroid belt is planned, along with a captured asteroid moon around jool. I can't imagine they'd put all that in and not make them minable.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Will we be able to change the trajectory of the astroids?  I want to put one in a decaying orbit around Kerbin.  Or just put it on a direct trajectory towards the space center. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Will we be able to change the trajectory of the astroids?  I want to put one in a decaying orbit around Kerbin.  Or just put it on a direct trajectory towards the space center.
Yo dog, I heard you like massive lag, so we put hundreds of physics objects in your system.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I doubt it. To much potential for catastrophic lag and physics glitches sending rocks careening into each other or your ships.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Damn it.  I didn't want to, but it doesn't look like I have a choice.  Anyone up to helping me steal a couple of those supercomputers?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I have no idea.
Yo dog, I heard you like massive lag, so we put hundreds of physics objects in your system.
If I were to do it, I'd make the asteroids be 'on rails' just like the planets until a certain amount of force was applied or until something landed on the surface.

Anyway I have more pictures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

All objects with orbits are on rails until they're give a new trajectory. Asteroids would be more like very large spaceship parts than small planets in that respect.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

All objects with orbits are on rails until they're give a new trajectory. Asteroids would be more like very large spaceship parts than small planets in that respect.
By 'on rails' I mean the way the planets/moons are currently. They are not physics enabled. The asteroids don't need to be physics enabled either until you attempt to move one, which means no physics calculations for the hundreds of other rocks. Its really the only way to include a large number of objects with substantial mass and gravity. If they ARE physics enabled they'd be pulling each other around, bumping into each other, etc.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Being on-rails with physics disabled until sufficient force is applied seems like a good way to do it. I'd also make a part that can drill into the asteroid to apply force to it, or somehow 'dock' with an asteroid.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 848