Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484296 times)

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile

So I was thinking, are there planetary orbits hard coded? Like, if you got enough engines pointing in the right direction on Minmus, say, could you move it's orbit?

They are 'on rails' as the devs call it, so are your ships in high time compression. Unity isn't exactly designed to support this sort of thing, it's impressive they making it work as it is.
You don't know for sure until you try it!
Let's create a forum game and start bringing fuel and NERVA engines to Gilly (smallest moon). W will need only 15827 millions of tons to move it by 1m/s DeltaV. Thats only half a billion of orange fuel tanks, no problem for our dwarf industry :P.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scot Manly already tried that. He has a video explaining why it wont work(you'd need a cluster of engines and fuel tanks that are basically the size of the moon you're trying push, even if they weren't on rails and thus can't be affected at all!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Hmm any practical use for spacelanes besides s cool way of flying?
Arent rockets much better than spaceplanes for carrying cargo?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

even if they weren't on rails and thus can't be affected at all!
Huge docking base!
To test if that's even possible would be much easier by cheating Armok blessed engine.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Hmm any practical use for spacelanes besides s cool way of flying?
Arent rockets much better than spaceplanes for carrying cargo?
Carrying cargo, yes. Saving on fuel and having to replace discarded parts that don't quite make it to the ground intact, no. Rockets are great for lifting stuff in bulk. SSTO spaceplanes, and even normal spaceplanes to a degree, are better for lifting stuff for cheap.

Which means that no, currently there isn't a practical use for spaceplanes besides being darn cool. Once Career mode rolls around though...

And besides, the only limitation right now is the godawful aerodynamics model stand-in. Once it gets improved, I'm sure people will be able to build quite nice heavy-lifting spaceplanes.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:40:51 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ion engines, how do you make them work effectively? I can't get enough delta-v from one to make any kind of impact on my probe's trajectory before it flies way past the window of opportunity :(

Also, the fact that they're in utility and not propulsion bugs me immensely. I can see the reasoning behind it but it still irks me xD
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I mostly just use them for leisurely orbital adjustment and deorbit burns.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IRL ion engines are sometimes used for stationkeeping. I've been trying to find a way to make Ion RCS work (i.e. needing both power and xenon), but so far no luck.

And the reason they're under Utility is because... well, calling them "propulsion" is insulting the other engines. :P Ion engines are only good on very light probes that don't need a whole lot of acceleration to move, and the fact that most of the time you need excruciatingly long "burns" means that they're a supplementary propulsion source at best. Thus, "Utility".

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At the risk of making myself look retarded, they're not meant for interplanetary transfers of ultralight probes, then?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, they are. I said as much. But that's their niche, and they're nigh useless outside of it.

On the game-dev side, the Ion Engines are in Utility because batteries and solar panels are in Utility, clustered together with their powersource. Rover wheels are also a method of "propulsion", but likewise rather limited (to the ground). Therefore, they are all listed as "Utility", or supplementary items.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Generally Ion engines are currently used with a on and off set of thrusting as the orbit spirals out. Not as efficient use of thrust for a transfer, but due to the higher engine efficiency, its more mass efficient.
However, it requires lots of long periods of thrusting and a much longer transfer time.... something which isn't exactly easy to do with KSP
Magma is overrated.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any way to make Mechjeb and RemoteTech work with each other? If there is any of remote command modules, all of mechjeb's autopilots don't use throttle controls (ascent, nodes etc.), while rcs in docking, staging works fine.
There are a few posts about that in threads of both mods, but I haven't found a solution anywhere.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Ion engines, how do you make them work effectively? I can't get enough delta-v from one to make any kind of impact on my probe's trajectory before it flies way past the window of opportunity :(

Also, the fact that they're in utility and not propulsion bugs me immensely. I can see the reasoning behind it but it still irks me xD
The best way to use ion engines is not in single adjustment burns but successive burns which slowly alter your trajectory. Burn a bit, orbit to the same position and burn some more. Slowly your orbit will change.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any way to make Mechjeb and RemoteTech work with each other? If there is any of remote command modules, all of mechjeb's autopilots don't use throttle controls (ascent, nodes etc.), while rcs in docking, staging works fine.
There are a few posts about that in threads of both mods, but I haven't found a solution anywhere.
If you look some of the last page of remotech somone made a patch.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

The start of my new orbital station:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Small docking nodes are for eventual escape pods. Medium nodes are for vessels. The open end of the habitat module (the one with the 3 inflatable bits) is a large docking node where the station will be expanded. There's another on the other side of the power module. The blocky bit in the middle is my 'lab module'. Really just another habitat.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 848