Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484770 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any hints for deisning proper SSTO spaceplanes? I get alot of tumbling because of changes in the center of mass wich is quite annoying.

I found out the best way to have a stable SSTO is to put the center of lift BEHIND the center of mass. This way it will ease up when fuel move around or get depleted. Also the VFM mod might help you since it allow you to move fuel around really easy and even set wich tank are depleted first. Also all fuel transfer follow the burn ration too. As long you tell it to move fuel AND oxidizer...

Having the center of lift behind the center of mass might give you trouble during take off, what you could do is snap on some landing gear in the front of your ship that you will jettison as soon you lift off so your nose is higher than your tail. Ugly but functional. Its all about finding the sweet spot for your design. What can help you is put those flipping flap on the nose of your ssto to help give if lift when needed but dont actually lift much while resting ( not maneuvring ).
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Am I the only person who straps their spaceplanes to a big rocket booster for initial launch? :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Well yeah, but it's not exactly SSTO if it has multiple stages, now is it? :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Well yeah, but it's not exactly SSTO if it has multiple stages, now is it? :P
I never said it was an SSTO. :P

It IS a reusable launcher though that drops away and parachutes safely to the ground.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

My only succesful spaceplane so far was a glider that is dropped from a rocket at high altitudes.  I say glider because I accidently put a jet fuel fuselage in instead of a liquid fuel, and was too lazy to replace it.  Once it got to within 10,000 meters it dropped like a rock thou.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Am I the only person who straps their spaceplanes to a big rocket booster for initial launch? :P
Well i do like to hae either fuel droptank or a rocket booster to get the initial velocity required for take-off before end of runway, just for the small Mphhff it gives, or well fuel tank if i want to aquire much more m/s while in athmosphere and dump them just before going balistic orbital.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Well i do like to hae either fuel droptank or a rocket booster to get the initial velocity required for take-off before end of runway, just for the small Mphhff it gives, or well fuel tank if i want to aquire much more m/s while in athmosphere and dump them just before going balistic orbital.
No... I meant that I build my spaceplane and then strap it to a big damn rocket which launches vertically. Once it is at the target altitude I separate and the launch vehicle parachutes to safety while the plane flies on.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

No... I meant that I build my spaceplane and then strap it to a big damn rocket which launches vertically. Once it is at the target altitude I separate and the launch vehicle parachutes to safety while the plane flies on.
That doesn't make it very much of a 'plane' then does it?  At least in the sense of calling the space shuttle a plane, then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

That doesn't make it very much of a 'plane' then does it?  At least in the sense of calling the space shuttle a plane, then.
It's a space plane. It flies about with wings and lift and all the things that planes use. It just happens to take off via rocket first. :)

I tried again to make a proper VTOL using rotating engines via damned robotics mod. Its really really hard to balance it all out.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

The Shuttle is a spaceplane. It is space-capable (i.e. it maneuvers and deorbits on its own), and does more than just drop to the ground on parachutes, even if it flies rather like a brick. Therefore, space-plane. Buran was more of a space-glider, but a glider is still a kind of plane, so. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I suppose if you want to mince semantics.  Still, when people really talk 'spaceplanes' they talk 'it's a plane that can get to super-high altitudes and then stabilize an orbit' and if your 'plane' launches on booster rockets straight up, then it's really just a rocket with a funny looking payload.

The real distinction, I suppose, it how it gains altitude.  The space shuttle is most definitely a rocket.  What it does once it's got altitude doesn't matter quite as much, though it would be nice if it could stop being a spaceship and become an airplane again.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Is it a spaceplane?" Flowchart:

Does it look like a plane?
                                           |                                 |
                                         Yes                               No
                                           |                                 |
                          Does it go to space today?           Not a spaceplane
                             |                          |
                           Yes                        No
                             |                          |
                 It is a spaceplane!         Not a spaceplane

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

What you're thinking of is an SSTO Spaceplane. Not simply an SSTO (since a rocket that goes up and orbits in one piece is one too) and not just a Spaceplane (since any aerodynamically-controlled craft that lands on a runway is one as well), but an SSTO Spaceplane. The Space Shuttle is a spaceplane with oversized dual RATOs and a huge drop tank. Not an SSTO because of the rocket-assist and the drop tank, but a spaceplane nonetheless.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everyone forgetting that one the US air force has now too which gets chucked up there on a Atlas.

Space planes are basically planes that can operate in a vacuum
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:26:04 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everyone forgetting that one the US air force has now too which gets chucked up there on a Atlas.

Space planes are basically planes that can operate in a vacuum

Not at all. A space plane is a vehicle that can both manoever in space and perform a runway landing. Planes don't work like planes in space.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 848