Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488399 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

All I wanted to do is get a satellite in orbit. I built the core and associated rocket from scratch and launched it. It started pretty well and steady, but once the solid boosters detached and I began my gravity turn the whole thing began wobbling despite Because of an ASAS and winglets.

*Fixed
Wait, since when do those things cause wobbliness? I remember that they also seemed to help get my ships in orbit.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Depends on the setup. If your ship is a little too bendy (or just unlucky), ASAS will wobble it all over the place. It'll try to hold the course, but...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sooo awesome.

This guy's channel is pretty cool.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, since when do those things cause wobbliness? I remember that they also seemed to help get my ships in orbit.

Generally winglets/control surfaces and ASAS are not good friends.
Here is the internal monologue I imagine the ASAS module must be thinking:

*Heading one arc second too high*
"WING TO FULL DOWN!!!!"
*heading now off by 5 arc seconds too low*
"WING TO FULL UP!!!!!!!"

This repeats forever, 10 times a second.

If you are making a balanced rocket there will be no need for winglets anyways, the gimbals are more than enough to steer.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

it gets more marked the more the ship bend

the asas takes the ship angle to correct from the nose, and if the ships bends because of its weight then the asas will overcorrect

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Time to take 0.19.1 for a spin.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

add this on top http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/40116-0-19-Chatterer-v-0-3-1

random babbling from kerbalnauts  :o
Please say that they start screaming or panicking when things go horribly wrong :o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

add this on top http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/40116-0-19-Chatterer-v-0-3-1

Please say that they start screaming or panicking when things go horribly wrong :o

"In space, no one can hear you scream."

Ground Control: "Yes we can! It was HORRIBLE."
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

"In space, no one can hear you scream."

Ground Control: "Yes we can! It was HORRIBLE."
I want this as a quote but I dont have space...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To quote that SpaceX Falcon Heavy

3) CENTER CORE
For payloads heavier than 100,000 pounds, Falcon Heavy uses a cross-feed system to run fuel from the side cores to the center core, leaving the center core almost fully fueled after the side boosters separate. What’s left is the equivalent of a complete Falcon 9 rocket already high in space.

This is the most important concept for putting heavier payloads into orbit. Design a rocket that works well and then feed it from side cores. When the side cores burn out you have a good rocket already high up in space.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile

3) CENTER CORE
For payloads heavier than 100,000 pounds, Falcon Heavy uses a cross-feed system to run fuel from the side cores to the center core, leaving the center core almost fully fueled after the side boosters separate. What’s left is the equivalent of a complete Falcon 9 rocket already high in space.

This is the most important concept for putting heavier payloads into orbit. Design a rocket that works well and then feed it from side cores. When the side cores burn out you have a good rocket already high up in space.

The Asparagus Stalk?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Guess what? Today, I'm not going to give you a reentry montage!

Instead, I'm going to give you the best use of rovers: BULLDOZERS! A fun way to get rid of that nasty, lag-causing debris around Kerbal Space Center.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now with more glitches!

And now with excessive hugenormous-ness! That first pic is a shot of it pushing a slightly earlier iteration of itself, by the way. The front end of the bucket-dozer-plow-thing sadly fell off after that. Suffice to say, the Pyth got too large for its own good, all the way from its humble beginnings as a simple target to ram projectiles into at high speeds. Hell, it lags this beefy gaming laptop when it loads in!

Note: The structural fuselages are there because those structure plates tend to get all tangled up in each other. So if I didn't have those and I tried to push a big gray metal box, there's a decent chance it would get stuck to the vehicle. Not good!
A more reasonable (and manned) pushy-thing, the Matador.

It still has the capacity to go horribly wrong, luckily.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:09:54 pm by Twi »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

3) CENTER CORE

Or, in KSP fan-terms, Asparagus Staging. Or in layman's terms, rocket-propelled drop tanks.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

rocket-propelled drop tanks.

Do you have any idea how awesome that sounds?!?

That sounds MUCH better than asparagus!
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 848