Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488369 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

It pretty much requires all the rockets to get up; it's barely get more thrust than weight.

That said, I'm currently testing a 5-body design, which appears to be very successful (and laggy). It should result in longer burn times and higher thrust : weight ratios. It may make for a very good fuel to orbit craft, as the center will be just about full in orbit.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

For something like this, you may even attempt some turbojet boosters - just strap some atmospheric engines around the outside and ditch them around 15,000m or so?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I ditch my JATO whosits at 20-30,000

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

So, looks like the 5-body version can make a perfect 200km orbit with over 5k liquid fuel + 6k oxidizer left.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I ditch my JATO whosits at 20-30,000

My recent experiments tend towards 15,000-20,000. Higher is of course better, but I'm not good at judging when I need to switch to rockets and/or throttle down to avoid flaming the hell out. :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

So the 5-body model works pretty well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Impressive!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Mmm, that is a straight-ass path.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was using all fuel, including that in the top stage. Velocity as it left the system was about 7000m/s.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While i dont know much about rocket science, i was thinking if your TWR ratio is not high enough at launch, dont you loose DeltaV due to gravity?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Yes, although I've seen particularly massive rockets that actually lift a few seconds after engine ignite - they have to burn some fuel before they're able to lift, the lowered weight allows them to achieve liftoff.  For most of these, once they do start moving, then they keep moving for a long time, and once they break atmosphere they've got a LOT less drag and a lot more raw power.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Yeah; it likely would be better if I removed a layer of fuel from the stacks.

However... Holy balls, found these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJYAyx91N5s&list=PLnfM-w9LSGDtzy3R6gdsFO4apdt-tNolf
Massive orbital carrier + shenanigans.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:33:08 am by alway »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Just as a note, it isn't the most powerfull space rocket ever flown. Just the most powerfull rocket currently in operation.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All I wanted to do is get a satellite in orbit. I built the core and associated rocket from scratch and launched it. It started pretty well and steady, but once the solid boosters detached and I began my gravity turn the whole thing began wobbling despite Because of an ASAS and winglets.

*Fixed

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Sooo awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgzHLUXIFiY&list=PLnfM-w9LSGDtzy3R6gdsFO4apdt-tNolf
Space battles with fighters + carriers with no mods.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 848