Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488340 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

the medium ones. never had the others break except when they break off.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

You supposedly can fix wheels in EVA.
Except that this is a completely unmanned probe-rover.

I suppose the name Buddy-Rover is misleading.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

use 6 when you use the tiny one. 8 if you can.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I seem to get pretty bad lag after a certain altitude.
Anyone else getting that problem?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone else unable to see those images?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

use 6 when you use the tiny one. 8 if you can.
I am using 6 wheels, I suppose I should mention I posted about the rover on page 278.

It was just that it was going too fast, but after some quick-saving an what not, I have figured out a way to break so that it doesn't cause it to flip, so all is well.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:07:41 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ah. my bad...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I'm pretty terrible at this game, so I felt really proud with what I did today :P

All I wanted to do is get a satellite in orbit. I built the core and associated rocket from scratch and launched it. It started pretty well and steady, but once the solid boosters detached and I began my gravity turn the whole thing began wobbling despite an ASAS and winglets. Nevertheless, I managed to get the whole thing into a slightly lopsided orbit and began using the final stage to fine-tune it.

As I basked in the (meager) glory, I watched the Mun go over the horizon, and my brain began scheming. A quick check revealed that I was approaching the point where I could begin a Munar burn if I wanted. I decided "why the hell not?" and did so. I totally lucked out timed it to a thing of beauty, coming in neatly on the far side of the Mun at a nice 200,000km periapsis. I had more than enough fuel to slow down and equalize my orbit. In fact, there's still enough fuel left for me to crash back on Kerbin if I wanted, though orbit is probably out of the question.

But that is not what I want. I have a satellite in orbit around the Mun, a tested design that can easily reach Minmus if I desired, and the makings of a solid interplanetary probe. Not bad for an hour of fooling around by the seat of my pants! :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Hah, nice.

I just got a little base on Mun. Got a lot of Monopropelant for future rovers, and space for four Kerbals. It's unmanned for now though. On the same rocket was also a probe which now orbits Mun.

Getting to Mun never gave me any problems, just use Nuclear Engines (you'll always have enough fuel) and muck around a little with maneuvers until it tells you there'll be an intersect. Easy as hell.

The harder bit is landing in Mun :/. Especially if I fail to kill horizontal velocity and end up doing a belly landing which generally leads to explosions and a lot more fun stuff.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Behold, a much more practical rover than my previous one! I just finished a 20 km drive with it, it's reasonably functional.

Spoiler: Overview (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: To the Mun! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: And arrival... (click to show/hide)

Now to build a six wheeled one with a habitat module, for longer trips.
Edit:
Spoiler: Perhaps this? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:35:22 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I just realized that with the new rover wheels I don't even need a Monopropelant fueling station on Mun ;_;

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I just realized that with the new rover wheels I don't even need a Monopropelant fueling station on Mun ;_;
Could still be useful to top off any landers. And maybe rovers can still use RCS to get over steep hills or something.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

So I came across this article:
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-03/most-powerful-space-rocket
Then I read the first comment.
03/14/13 at 2:44 pm
better question....can i use this design in kerbal space program....
Challenge accepted.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

27 engines, aligned in 3 identical bodies of 9 each, with crossfeed from the outer 2 bodies to the inner body. It just barely gets off the ground, managing to make it to orbit very easily (though slowly), and being surprisingly stable for a 27-engine design.
Burn time is approximately 7:20, completing at a height of 400km at 3720 m/s if launched entirely vertical. Enough for inter-planetary journeys without use of the top stage.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:42:08 pm by alway »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

So I came across this article:
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-03/most-powerful-space-rocket
Then I read the first comment.
03/14/13 at 2:44 pm
better question....can i use this design in kerbal space program....
Challenge accepted.
The big question, though: How much fuel does it have once it's in orbit, and how much of a load can it carry?

In either case, I suggest re-trying and modifying.  Instead of 3 engines, do 4.  Remove the center and add 2 more outer, and then in the now-empty center column, add a payload to be lifted.  Lift a while train car!
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 848