Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488316 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

But its STEAM. they are even worse than EA! (99.9999999% of the time anyways...)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

What's so bad about Steam? I've seen countless of anti-Steam threads in the Paradox forums and nobody ever seemed to have any good points. Sure, disabling patching and playing offline doesn't always work very well, but that is only an issue with games that have Steam DRM. Games without that, like KSP I assume, can just be copied to  another folder to avoid autopatching and they can be played without Steam.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DRM, the fact that it is SLOW, the fact that even if the game is on the computer AND HAS ON ONLINE MODE YOU MUST BE LOGGED ON AND ON THE INTERNET, the fact that IT ALMOST NEVER LETS YOU ON...
shall I go on?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, but if you DONT have a insanely stable high speed internet...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

In all my short time using Steam (versus time having it installed, heh), the only inconveniences it's made me endure is the periodic updating, and the occasional failure to enter offline mode. Which is annoying, and I think I'll kill TF2 (I don't play the thing anyway) to limit the download amounts, but... nothing outrageously wrong happened so far. The few games that weren't made available for my country just gave me more of an excuse to seek alternate distributors. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Im sorry if I rant too mutch, I really have had a bad time dealing with them.
I shall miss you Civ V...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Aseaheru, you only have to be logged in (or have Steam installed on your computer for that matter) if the game uses Steam DRM. Not all games use it,  most if not all Paradox games don't, and I doubt KSP will use it either.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

It will, obviously, not use the Steam overlay that way. But this might actually be preferable in a game like KSP. It's slow enough as it is.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Also, when's the last time you used it. They patched the offline mode about half a year/ a year ago, and it should now work most of the times. Not always, but often.

Oh, and I highly suspect this'll be something similair to what egosoft did with X3, ie completely optional. Backlash would be to big otherwise.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Add to the derail!

I spent three months in Afghanistan with literally the shittiest, least reliable internet known to man. Zero problem playing my Steam games. Most of the time Steam was left in offline mode, of course, but I literally had no problems.

On the rare occasion where I did want to download a game from Steam while out there, the service was more reliable than most other internet sites/downloads/what ever. Steam didn't care that I got disconnected every three minutes.

If nothing else, I am excited to see how many hours I have played in KSP when it gets on Steam.

Anyways, back to the REAL topic here. Did the new patch increase the frame rate at all? KSP simply isn't playable for me and I have a pretty decent computer. With the sound popping every 7 seconds, 7 minutes of takeoff taking 30 minutes to render, and exploding on the 6th minute, I can't bring myself to try building anything interesting.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

DRM, the fact that it is SLOW, the fact that even if the game is on the computer AND HAS ON ONLINE MODE YOU MUST BE LOGGED ON AND ON THE INTERNET, the fact that IT ALMOST NEVER LETS YOU ON...
shall I go on?

1. That's a user issue.

2. That's not even remotely true. My brother played 25 hours of Borderlands 2 on steam with no internet connection on offline mode.

3. It always lets me on fine. Seems like a user error.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Who knows? If it's on Steam, it might be easier to update :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK.
I DONOT think everyone has the issues I do.
The fact that it got patched is USELESS as my account got killed by them FOR NOTHING (really. i cant get anything and the only things i had done on there was installing (and briefly playing) a NEW copy of Civ V)
Also, thank you dutchling for that info. I wish i knew that a year ago but... oh well.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

my account got killed by them FOR NOTHING (really. i cant get anything and the only things i had done on there was installing (and briefly playing) a NEW copy of Civ V)

Did you ask them? Because they are very responsive to issues like that.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 848