Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488233 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

There is no "update". You just download the new version whole from the store.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Took me a few dozen tries getting the site to work though. Just keep refreshing that page baby ;)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

so it IS from the store... wow. i have been messing it up a bit then...

so, what do you people think of the B9 Aerospace pack?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

The site seems to be working pretty consistently now.
I can navigate through everything without having to refresh at all.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got new version, been messing around with rover parts:

Pictured is the freedom 1 Rover. I've decided to go with a Skycrane approach to getting this on the surface of the Mun. First attempt wasn't really successful: launch vehicle reached Mun pretty handily, but I ran out of fuel for the skycrane. Second attempt is gonna correct it by lowering orbit to 100,000 before deorbiting, + doubling the fuel(as pictured) for the skycrane

Edit: Goddamnit, the altimeter is off if you're not on Kerbal. Is there any good way to figure out distance to the ground so I know when to burn?(second attempt impacted at 20 m/s due to mis-estimating when to do final burn)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:37:27 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

get a maned ship. they have radar thingies for determining height. in IVA.
anyone else notice the new launch pad? i just dont want to make sure that im crazy.
i cant spell today.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

Yes, there is a new launch pad, and they finally removed the damn tower.

And the pad looks awesome, to boot.

Also, how the hell do you get a rover off the lander vehicle without blowing it up? Experiments on Kerbin have yielded no successful results.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tryrar, you might want to use the orange tanks between the grey ones.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tryrar, you might want to use the orange tanks between the grey ones.

Eh, I scrapped that skycrane design completely for a much more compact one:

Behold the Freedom 2 Rover! I used a regular Octo probe core instead of the new compact one, so I could attach solar panels and antenna to it. The new, more compact Skycrane on top is also much more powerful(though it burns through fuel much quicker!), so last minute "OH SHIT" burns are possible. If I need more fuel, I'll just stack another ring or two of those orange fuel tanks!
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

can you get some photos of it in action?
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

....I would if this design actually worked. I mean, it can launch the freaking rover into the air on Kerbal, but can't slow down the rover at all trying to kill velocity approaching Mun surface. Dafuq?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Using a new skycrane that combined features of the previous two, I set off! An uneventful journey to the Mun commences, and we achieve Mun orbit:

After a de=orbit burn, I start my descent:

I kill velocity right before touchdown, cut the skycrane, and Sucess! My rover is on the Mun!(As you can see in the image, I accidentally broke one of the wheels by coming down a little sideways, but I still  have 5 more :P)

Now, driving on the Mun is a little touchy in the low gravity(especially with one wheel busted!), you absolutely CANNOT make sudden turns or accelerate too fast. I broke this rule and almost completely obliterated my rover when it flipped and tumbled forever :P

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, you need to mount the wheels midway, or even at the top, of the rover body to get a lower center of gravity, i think.
Magma is overrated.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a heads-up:
Servers seem to be stable now

EDIT: Found this while checking the Sub Rosa blog:
http://crypticsea.blogspot.dk/2013/03/dark-side-jam-rocket-builder.html

A very basic rocketbuilder, on a much smaller level than KSP.
It models liquids and gas as particles, it's basically an illustration of how rockets work in principal.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:30:00 am by ank »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fresh off my success with the freedom rovers, I decided to try building a larger one with the standard sized wheels. Meet the Independence 1:

I'm rather unsure if the new, larger skycrane's overkill or not, but hey, that's what testing is for :P
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 848