Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488190 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I decided to mess around with spaceplanes; but no matter what I do, how many different control surfaces and winglets I add, as soon as I pull up even a little after getting to speed, I loop around and impact the ground at fatal velocity-if I'm not doing cartwheels on the tarmac instead. Help!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I decided to mess around with spaceplanes; but no matter what I do, how many different control surfaces and winglets I add, as soon as I pull up even a little after getting to speed, I loop around and impact the ground at fatal velocity-if I'm not doing cartwheels on the tarmac instead. Help!
Is your center of lift too far away from your center of mass?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nope, I made sure to match my center of lift and mass
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I get best results putting my center of mass forward of my center of lift actually. Not FAR forwards.

can we get a screenshot of your spaceplane?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Center of thrsut AND lift has to be well placed, if your center of thrust is *under* your center of mass you will flip up
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Also be sure you have enough speed.  Trying to take off too soon can result in a flip, you generally need 150-200 speed before you can safely lift from the ground - usually at that speed, the plane starts to lift itself.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I tried to make a VTOL with rotating motors.

It ended badly.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/43666-Kerbal-Alarm-Clock

a mod that gets you out of warp before soi changes or nodes. changed my life  :P

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also be sure you have enough speed.  Trying to take off too soon can result in a flip, you generally need 150-200 speed before you can safely lift from the ground - usually at that speed, the plane starts to lift itself.
Wow ok i think im a good aero engineer then... i made a plane that take off at 50m/s, is stable empty or full and weight about 45 ton i think when full? the TWR is about 2ish ( when full with kethane).
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Yay, just had my first successful interplanetary flight. I decided to build a design to be very simple, rather than overcomplicating it, and I managed to get to Duna after some Maneuvers of Dubious Efficiency.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Having a little trouble orbiting my Munar lnder to the return vehicle.
Guess two poor Kerbals have to remain in Munar orbit until the space agency is done with it's Minmusmission :P

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Goddammit I was all set to match orbits with my station core for try 1267 at docking, when suddenly one of the engines cuts out. I inspect it and notice the fuel line for that engine that goes from the main tank to the smaller secondary secondary tanks the engines are attached to, isn't actually attached to the engine, but to a radial mono-propellent above it. FML

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

You can transfer it manually.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BEST MOD EVER!!
http://kerbalspaceport.com/v-f-m-fuel-panel/

With that no more fuel line between tank, choose what tank is use first even if it doesnt respect stagings etc. Fuel management? Thist does the job.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A tail with tail fins really help a lot with stability: It's very much like feathers on an arrow.

Also, pictures! even failed designs are fun to look at!
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 848