Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488058 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3645 on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:33 pm »

Floating, as in floating in the water of the Ocean.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3646 on: February 16, 2013, 08:59:22 pm »

You realise you can't leave ships around in atmosphere?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3647 on: February 16, 2013, 09:05:47 pm »

If they're in water they're considered 'splashed down' and can be left there.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: February 16, 2013, 09:17:09 pm »

Pretty sure you can, unless that changed recently. I left a plane on the ground of Kerbin and it's still just sitting there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3649 on: February 16, 2013, 09:19:48 pm »

I am attempting to build a floating city in the Ocean with docking ports! Since I am horribly incompetent at docking in space.

AND IT IS DIFFICULT.

No success so far. Managed to get something in the water without exploding, but it flipped over. Attempting to use its engines severely angered the lag gods. You have been warned.
Have you tried using boat parts?

http://kerbalspaceport.com/boat-parts-0-18-2/

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: February 16, 2013, 09:25:41 pm »

Pretty sure you can, unless that changed recently. I left a plane on the ground of Kerbin and it's still just sitting there.

The trick here is you can leave whatever you want for the most part. So long as it's not currently in air. If it's in the air and has to be simulated interacting with the atmosphere it will automatically end that flight after you're about 2km away from it
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3651 on: February 16, 2013, 10:23:05 pm »

Spoiler: Bep boop beep (click to show/hide)

Floating City/ Sea Colony/ Ocean Colony/ Core has been deployed

I am afraid to see what happens if I press 'g'.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: February 17, 2013, 02:48:41 am »

oh and it doesn't have enough engines but still i suggest struts

But the editor and the game already run insanely slow (~1fps)...
Besides, if I put anymore struts on it, it will implode under its own gravity and start undergoing nuclear fusion :P

I tried to make a rocket with those tiny liquid fuel engines alone.

This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: February 17, 2013, 11:26:23 am »

I have a small question, maybe someone will happen to know the answer. Is there a way using stock parts to build a submarine, that would dive without the use of downward thrust ? (and stay in water on its own)
I tried many different parts but they all float. I remember i read somewhere that somebody did stock submarine some time ago, can't find it anywhere thou.

Also a tip about making a floating city, during a regatta challenge I've found that the best ratio of volume to mass (and thus drag if speed is needed) have ram intakes, managed to get 300m/s with basic jets on water with them.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: February 17, 2013, 12:07:38 pm »

Unfortunately, I think not.

Because at this point, there isn't even a real sea, it's only puddle deep.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: February 17, 2013, 12:16:38 pm »

I've seen a video with a "submarine". It took a lot of downward thrust to keep it below water, but it actually went pretty deep. You might be able to make something neutrally buoyant by modding the parts to be extremely heavy but I'm not sure.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: February 17, 2013, 12:25:44 pm »

I've seen a video with a "submarine". It took a lot of downward thrust to keep it below water, but it actually went pretty deep. You might be able to make something neutrally buoyant by modding the parts to be extremely heavy but I'm not sure.
Depending on how they implemented it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3657 on: February 17, 2013, 12:58:10 pm »

Depending on how they implemented it.
I bet you could do something like this with a part like the airship parts but flipping it to negative buoyancy. It works very well for those.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3658 on: February 17, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »

The Colony now has a Power Wing.

As you can probably tell, it's using the same ship as the core for the Power Wing, just modified. I was going to dock this completely differently, but I needed a different pod to do  so. So I build a similar ship and sent it to the core, but the port was too high up to dock with the core. So it seems any attachments I make will have to be modified cores.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3659 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:07 pm »

You could always used Damned Robotics or the Kerbal Attachment System (or both) to make adjustable docking ports.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 848