Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487937 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I just came in here to say that I managed to get in a stable orbit around the sun.

In (the fourth iteration of) my first spaceship. (Then again, I was trying to get in a stable orbit around Kerbin but failed and reached escape velocity, and then I ran out of fuel.).
But still, this is awesome.

Spoiler: Pic (click to show/hide)

(I lost Jeb somewhere in Kerbin's ocean. I'll have to go pick him up sometime.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:18:41 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I may have undone it by doing End Flight :x

But I will return, this time with RCS because why the fuck not!

E: Does anybody knwo how I switch my rocket from a manned pod to a MechJeb unmanned pod?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:36:50 pm by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

something I am preparing for the community ksp station

1489 tons of juicy stuff to bring spare parts up to Duna.

it can barely reach the red planet but I don't ave enough oomph to stop once there - and floating point stuff means I can't intercept the Duna atmosphere from afar to aerobrake it on a saner orbit.

I will probably need a pusher tug doking to it to get it out of the kerbal ski; that should save me 850dv at least.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

E: Does anybody knwo how I switch my rocket from a manned pod to a MechJeb unmanned pod?
You could use Payloader to separate the launch vehicle from the payload and join the two later.  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29950

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could use Payloader to separate the launch vehicle from the payload and join the two later.  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29950
Thank you so much. I was kinda surprised when I found out you couldn't do this in-game (so I just ended up attatching my payload on top of my crew cockpit thingy i forgot the name of)

E: Oh, and what do action groups do?

E2: Fuck payloader. I accidently deleted my newest rocket model. Fuck this piece of crap. Why would you even need a delete button?

E3: Yay for accidental backups.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:20:37 am by miauw62 »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

They are just key bindings.

You can associate a part and whatever action that part does to a key, then use that key in game.

I.e. it may be use on a plane with air breathing and space engines to toggle between both.

To do so:
Add air engines to last stage, add space engines to first stage.
This will make it so that space engines are off at start.

Add all engines to an action group. Set the action on each engine to toggle.

Now when you press the associated key each engine will toggle its status

You can conbine activable parts and action groups in any way you want; basically everythin you can do on a part right clicking on it in game can be bound to an action group

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

E2: Fuck payloader. I accidently deleted my newest rocket model. Fuck this piece of crap. Why would you even need a delete button?
Not got your setup (not in front of me, anyway) but wouldn't Ctrl-Z have worked, prior to your E3 solution?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

So, I can do the following things:

• Make rocket explode
  • Make rocket orbit the sun

How do you orbit Kerbal :S?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hehe, depends on how you made it orbit the sun. I did that by overshooting my orbit attempts. So I *could* theoretically get in an orbit around Kerbin myself. But I rather use Mechjeb.

Oh, and always include parachutes. Make sure your module can safely bail out at any time. (Seriously, my first rocket design has an almost 0% lethality rate. I can usually ram spacebar and browse B12 in peace knowing that the parachutes will bring them down safely.)

E: I'm serious. My rocket just clipped the launch tower with 25 boosters on all sides except above the rocket, and ramming spacebar saved me.

E2: Err, shit. I managed to get into orbit and release my probe without too much hassle and with some delta-v left. But now I can't control my ship anymore. The little wings won't move and I can't toggle RCS or SAS. Escape still works, and I think space does too. (But I can't test that, because that would trigger the last stage and make me stuck in orbit for eternity.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:09:12 am by miauw62 »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

You ran out of electricity, miauw xD

Now, today I had, as part of my volunteer job, patrolling (=wandering around looking useful) the aerospace part of the science museum. As I was looking at the pitiful excuses for interactive booths, I thought KSP would be so perfect as a set of kiosks.

Eg, there was a 'Dock with ISS!' thing that was three shapeless plastic lumps in water, controlled with a joystick. There was also a 'launch a rocket!' thing that was nothing but a button, then autopilot. :/
I see KSP doing an awesome job (with some modifications for kiosks, like a reset ability, multiple cameras at a time to reduce learning curve for docking....) in the museum, making rocketry fun and alive, not the boring and dead panels of generic text, the bland models of lunar landers...
Actually, I saw actual RCSes on the lander today. They had chutes to prevent the propellent from damaging thhe ship. :D

TLDR: KSP FOR AEROSPACE MUSEUMS! PLEASE! D: It's even scientifically accurate!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But I have 4 of those PNUK reactor things! How can I run out of power? :c

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

That's weird. Why can't you toggle SAS or RCS, then? :/
Are you sure your electriity is at 5/5?  Though even one reactor is more than enough for a probe.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not flying the probe, I'm flying the command module of the rocket that got the probe into orbit. I couldn't remove the command module, so I just plopped a probe on top of the command module. I just couldn't in any way move my winglets. So I decided to take a risk and wait until my rocket pointed at kerbin by itself and then accelerate. It worked and I'm now going down. Strangely, my RCS and winglets work again.

E: SUCCES! I have landed!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:34:50 am by miauw62 »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In previous versions I've sometimes had the green light (that changes from red on the launchpad, once the engine has obviously decided it's ready to launch, just as the the setup 'settles', and (if I've overloaded any section) the worst-attached bits fall off) go back to red, mid-flight, giving me no control for a period of time.  Usually this is around the apex of the flight, having coasted since leaving the atmosphere, and now I really want to do another big burn.

While control often comes back on its own (when I'm now descending), I often managed to get control back when I'm barely falling (or still going up a little, if I worked out what was happening, in time), by flipping into orbital-view then back to the craft-cam one.  Although not always the first time I did this.

I don't know if this is linked to your issue, but mentioning it in passing in case it is (perhaps you can test this 'solution' if you get this happening again).  I'm generally playing on a machine that's not of brilliant spec, but works well enough normally.  But I rather imagined that it's (for some reason) deciding to re-calculate the stress'n'strains map across the whole craft, or something, and needs a bit of 'me time' for it to do that, and doesn't want anybody messing with the controls whilst it's doing so. ;)  This imagining is almost certainly wrong, of course...

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

God damnit i would love working with something like Skyrunner works with. Teaching little kids that space is fun .3
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 848