Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487515 times)

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3285 on: December 22, 2012, 11:32:02 pm »

My recreation of the Mir space station: http://imgur.com/a/HVK7e
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3286 on: December 23, 2012, 02:29:11 am »

Grr. Having a huge amount of trouble trying to actually dock with my space station. I'm just not very good at getting the orbits to line up, and even when I did I couldn't manage to get my ship to properly get to the station. I got within 200 meters, but nothing I did would get me close to it without seriously messing up my relative speed.

Anyone know any really good tutorials or tips for this? I tried watching a set of tutorial videos, but they didn't help much. A lot of what he said was stuff I knew needed to be done, but he didn't really say how to do most of it. Just useless comments like 'line up the orbits' and 'adjust your speed so that you match that of the station'.

Yeah, I know all that. I can't seem to DO it, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: December 23, 2012, 03:23:48 am »

My recreation of the Mir space station: http://imgur.com/a/HVK7e
You've pretty painstakingly recreated that, even to the orbit. I like it. Good work, sir.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3288 on: December 23, 2012, 03:28:39 am »

Anyone know any really good tutorials or tips for this? I tried watching a set of tutorial videos, but they didn't help much. A lot of what he said was stuff I knew needed to be done, but he didn't really say how to do most of it. Just useless comments like 'line up the orbits' and 'adjust your speed so that you match that of the station'.

Scott Manley's tutorial did wonders for me. It's the one that made me able to dock.

Accelerate towards the station; depending on your ship's size, 1~5 m/s is safe. Faster then that has a high risk of you bumping into your station, or overflinging it. Obsessing over relative speed isn't healthy xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: December 23, 2012, 07:15:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now there's fuel up there, I can start using it for... fun purposes. I wonder how far my space plane would get me with a full tank.

A slightly related question.

Intake air, and airflow. Intakes have both properties.. Which one is the property that determines if engines flame out?

edit: That was most ridiculously unfun. The design was made with .18.1, playing .18.2, with the RCS changes I ran out of the stuff too quickly, somehow. aswell as that, the craft itself seemed to want to pull left while in the upper atmosphere under rocket flight, causing more RCS to be burnt.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:57:42 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: December 23, 2012, 09:19:49 am »

It probably pulled to the left because you repositioned the radial intakes after setting an action group to toggle them off, resulting in one of them not toggling off, and pulling your craft sideways. Or something of the kind.

Airflow is the amount of air passing through the intake. IntakeAir is the resource generated by the intake, which the engine uses. Naturally, the resource is what determines when the engine flames out.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:52 am »

what is the optimal amount of intakes per scram jet?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: December 23, 2012, 11:15:49 am »

Depends on the design. For my designs, I've found max 4 per jet engine block to work best for max altitude. I could get more, but the returns diminish due to the design. Plus it's extra weight once your in space.

Other designs have other optima.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:18:29 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: December 23, 2012, 09:45:59 pm »

This is probably ancient news, but has anyone here found the Old Airbase? I took a simple plane for a test flight and spotted it from the air. Dirt runway, traffic control tower, couple of hangers made from corrugated steel. Lots of stuff was non-collideable, allowing me to park the plane in one of the hangers.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: December 23, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »

It probably pulled to the left because you repositioned the radial intakes after setting an action group to toggle them off, resulting in one of them not toggling off, and pulling your craft sideways. Or something of the kind.

Wasn't that, checked each air intake once I was on orbit, the toggle key was toggling all of them.
Will rebuild it with 18.2 parts and see if it still does it.

Airflow is the amount of air passing through the intake. IntakeAir is the resource generated by the intake, which the engine uses. Naturally, the resource is what determines when the engine flames out.

I've had the resource read as zero while the airflow reads as a number, but I guess that's just a result of one type of intake being less efficient or some such.
Either way, ram air intakes are much better than radial intakes.
Magma is overrated.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: December 24, 2012, 03:56:52 am »

I've had the resource read as zero while the airflow reads as a number, but I guess that's just a result of one type of intake being less efficient or some such.
Either way, ram air intakes are much better than radial intakes.
Resource intake is a function of the airflow speed and the air pressure. Air may be rushing into your intakes at many times the speed of sound, but if you're already skirting the upper edge of the stratosphere, there's just not enough of it for engines to work.

And yes, that they are.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: December 24, 2012, 06:58:34 am »

I'd just like to mention that KSP is 25% off at the store.
So anybody fooling around with version 0.14 go buy it!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3297 on: December 24, 2012, 07:24:37 am »

Oh look, gift code feature! I can now give away KSP without having to jump thru hoops.
If they had it on 50%, I would give away two. But sadly nope Dx

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: December 24, 2012, 08:41:22 am »

Also they got rid of the ridiculous patcher. After I got it to work.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: December 24, 2012, 02:24:16 pm »

Finally landed on Duna!
and I think I should have enough RCS fuel to go back home, even if tanks are 2/7 of what they should be.
Still, steering this thing is immensely slow and tring, so I think I'll just leave it parked in an high orbit around kerbin, or one of the moons, and build a new one.
which will have better placed SAS, less parts, more thrust and all kinds of improvements..
That is assuming I can bring everything back. lander has its tanks full, because I landed almost entirely with parachutes ,although I made a final push with Nuclear rocket, to avoid bending of the legs. it is odd: during tests on kerbin I landed at much higher speeds, and nothing broke, but on my first attempts nuclear rocket got separated from fuel tank.

I forgot to bring any science instrument, so I discovered almost nothing. I also forgot to bring ladders, but that led to the discovery that jetpacks can lift people on Duna. quite slowly too, which gives better control. great for utility work, such as repacking parachutes. not so great for traveling, unlike on the mun.

Spoiler: mission log (click to show/hide)

Using Ike to slow down is very easy. I didn't even mean to do that, but it just gets in the way sooo often.

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 848