Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487440 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3210 on: December 17, 2012, 05:27:36 pm »

keep always in mind that too many parts cause lag, and lag make it quite hard to actually use your ship.
your stationship seems heavy on structural parts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3211 on: December 17, 2012, 05:40:34 pm »

now too many parts cause merely slow down (finally) so you can be safe (but bored :P, when one minute launch plays in ten)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: December 17, 2012, 06:15:06 pm »

well, in fact it can be somewhat easier to steer, since you can do more precise RCS burns.(sometimes I wish we had slower speeds as well as faster ones...).
But you will be quite annoyed at how long everything takes, most likely.
Like playing a fortress in DF at 3 FPS. sure, everything still works. sure, you have more time to react to stuff that happens. but brain still implodes.

anyway, I brought command module up. then I discovered that either different symmetry ( 3 instead of 6) or different beams caused it to be unable to dock properly. it would only link one docking port, leaving the other 2 free. which, since command module is the main SAS source, leads to FUN.
back to drawing board... I'll just send it unmanned using the same launcher as all other modules. that should avoid all problems.
it poses a problem for lander however, since I am not sure it will link properly. but that one could simply be done with a tricoupler, if I must.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: December 17, 2012, 06:37:48 pm »

D: That shim is bigger than mine Dx

* Skyrunner feels puny now xD

Rule #7 of KSP: No matter what you've done or how proud of it you are, someone on the internet has done it better.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: December 17, 2012, 07:16:25 pm »

D: That shim is bigger than mine Dx

* Skyrunner feels puny now xD

Rule #1 of Life: No matter what you've done or how proud of it you are, someone on the internet has done it better.
FTFY.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: December 17, 2012, 10:28:46 pm »

Finally I caved in and bought this.

Ladies and gents, Jebediah Kerman is the first Kerbal in space, aboard Ikarus I.

Next mission: Deploying satellites!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: December 17, 2012, 11:32:01 pm »

or press r
*cough*

I was on about using it for vertical and horizontal translation.

IJKL are horizontal and vertical translation, H and N are forward and back translation.
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: December 18, 2012, 02:41:49 am »

@Skyrunner
I bet this will turn into an arms race when you reveal your next behemoth :)

@Andrea
The station isn't lagging yet, even though it has more parts than some of the laggy space stations I have built.
I think that struts help a lot to reduce lag.

Also, I found an option called "Delta-physics per frame"(or something close to that). it's set to 0.10 sec/frame as default, but can be turned down to 0.03. This is essentially reverse time-warp, allowing you to slow down time instead of getting 1 FPS or the physics going haywire.
If I launch the Circularium at 0.10 sec/frame it pretty much just explodes.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3218 on: December 18, 2012, 02:59:50 am »

Can you get structs to attach on both ends? I think I read somewhere that you can only ever have one parent node for each piece that you put on the craft, which is annoying.

Also, why is it that my translations/rotations/forward/backwards RCS controls always seem completely off? It would help if you could rotate your view along the axis you're looking at.

And congrats BuriBuriZaemon! I am surprised you got something off to space this soon! It took me tons of time back in the day! :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:04:00 am by Anvilfolk »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3219 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:13 am »

@Skyrunner
I bet this will turn into an arms race when you reveal your next behemoth :)

Well, I think my own ship is heavier, at least ;3

Also prettier. /totally not biased

I mean, when fully loaded it weighs a good two thousand tons. xD That doesn't mean I got 2000 tons into orbit in one piece, since a lot of it is loaded afterwards. I'm doing the loading part bit by bit. Only 600 more tons to go :/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: December 18, 2012, 03:56:25 am »

@Skyrunner
Yeah, I agree.
The station is made out of:
1 big command pod+RCS+ASAS
1 big fuel tank
8 times 3 long 1m fuel tanks, NERVA, 3 long structurals, 7 short structurals, 3 bicouplers, 4 docking ports.

Mine is still half full of fuel :)

@Anvilfolk
No, the structs only attach at one end.
I made the circle by attaching the other end with a strut.

Use V to get chase mode, that will align the camera to the craft.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: December 18, 2012, 08:40:45 am »

Here's the result of my attempt to land my boosted SSTO on Duna.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: December 18, 2012, 09:01:25 am »

You might have more success on Laithe, it has oxygen for the engines.
But nice job getting a SSTO to Duna, did you refuel it in orbit?

News from the circularium:

Lander module added(orbit module included):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:05:56 am by ank »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: December 18, 2012, 09:24:55 am »

I didn't refuel it so much as I just kinda pushed it there. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3224 on: December 18, 2012, 09:30:42 am »

I think I like that idea. It's like the jumpring in Star Wars! xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 848