Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487398 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3180 on: December 16, 2012, 06:19:29 pm »

*gasp*
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3181 on: December 16, 2012, 06:20:15 pm »

Ye gods.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: December 16, 2012, 06:22:56 pm »

all hail the madness gods, reborn in machine!

seriously? what is that? how well does it fly?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3183 on: December 16, 2012, 06:22:56 pm »

Oy lord.

How the feck does that thing fly? It looks like ti would spin upside down and out of control within 3 seconds!
Wait, doesn't that count as flying? All of my rockets do that. I thought it was normal.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: December 16, 2012, 06:24:09 pm »

It's actually surprisingly stable. Mostly due to the thrust pointing inward by default, and the absurd amount of winglets. Activating the RCS before leaving atmosphere is suicide, however. Or deactivating SAS. on second thought, the very little sas the command module provides can be disregarded as long as you pilot it right, but still

In other news, you guys just made me proud of my rocket building skill despite the fact I've yet to create something streamlined and not involving strut overload while going into orbit. :3
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:28:22 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3185 on: December 16, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »

So close, but alas, redirecting the failed Munar Probe to Duna was a failure. I knew I should of tried and orbited Minmus.

Picture time!

Spoiler:  Slightly closer. (click to show/hide)

I really need to learn what the hell Delta V and ISP are.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: December 16, 2012, 06:47:31 pm »

delta v is change in velocity.
ISP is some rocket science thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3187 on: December 16, 2012, 06:50:12 pm »

Huh. I always though Fission Mailure was an extreme Mission Failure.

Also, I think I'll need a bit more of an explanation to Delta V.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: December 16, 2012, 06:54:06 pm »

Also, I think I'll need a bit more of an explanation to Delta V.

It's how much you're changing your velocity by. I don't really know what else to say.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3189 on: December 16, 2012, 07:00:17 pm »

Delta-V is, as I understand it, a measurement of the difference in velocity between your current velocity and direction and the target velocity and direction.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: December 16, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »

Delta-V is, as I understand it, a measurement of the difference in velocity between your current velocity and direction and the target velocity and direction.
Direction is already part of velocity.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: December 16, 2012, 07:08:18 pm »

speed is the number, velocity is the vector I think.

by the way. turns out that by actually using phase angles, I can avoid that lengthy and fuel burning 2200+ Delta-V burn. which means I could bring the test ship back to kerbin! this gives me hope. with the fuel I plan to add, it should comfortably do the trip back and forth. also, in the return trip I'll be able to use spare fuel in the lander...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

now, time to finish building. and organize the real mission!

edit: by the way, I am in a circular orbit. quite far, but well within the range in which I can feasibly refuel. therefore, success.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:22:36 pm by andrea »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: December 16, 2012, 07:24:56 pm »

Explanation of Delta-V.

"Delta", or 'Δ' in Greek alphabet where it came from, is used in mathematics and especially physics and means "change in"
"Delta-V" with "V" being velocity essentially means "The change in velocity"

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3193 on: December 16, 2012, 07:29:15 pm »

In other news, you guys just made me proud of my rocket building skill despite the fact I've yet to create something streamlined and not involving strut overload while going into orbit. :3
Everyone has struct overload.
It's just how well you hide it :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: December 16, 2012, 07:29:40 pm »

since velocity is what matters in orbital mechanics ( and, well, mass of the bodies. but you can't really control that), you often are gives values of velocity change needed for whatever you want to do.

of course different ships will take more or less time and more or less fuel to achieve that change in vellocity. but if you want that new orbit, you still need the same Delta-V

edit: and really, everyone uses tons of struts. half of the parts in my launchers are struts! which may explain why they lag.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 848