Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487388 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3015 on: December 12, 2012, 06:38:22 am »

To Dres!!!!!!!!

Picking the most least efficient route possible
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Picking the safest least-lit and most sloped place to land

Smooth decent to ground level Oh crap, can't rotate ship correctly, too confusing argh...

Welcome to the Dres Permanent Reserch Facility, researching how long 150 charge of electricity can power 1 lightbulb. That stuff in the background, just ignore it. It was, er, there when we got here.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3016 on: December 12, 2012, 10:58:40 am »

Kerbal Space Program reports read like NASA press releases from the '90s.

"Oh, er, that space probe? Hey, that wasn't our fault! How were we supposed to know that Europeans have this totally different system of measurements?"
"Yeah Bob, when I found out I was like 'Kila-grams? Mega-meters? What do they even call a quarter pounder over there?'"
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: December 12, 2012, 11:13:06 am »

A Royale?

("with cheese" optional, although almost always that's 'American Cheese', but then this is one of the times when it's actually a more suitable addition then a nice bit of Camembert, Gouda, Stilton, Feta or Emmental, any of which would usually be my preference.  Or Sage Derby.  Perhaps some Petite Chevre.  And who doesn't like to see a nice display of Danish Blue?)

HTH, HAND.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3018 on: December 12, 2012, 12:43:58 pm »

I'm trying to do a wider rocket, but the stupid launch tower keeps getting in the way :( Any tips/ideas?

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: December 12, 2012, 12:48:14 pm »

I remember there's a mod that removes the launch tower. Check the official forum for that.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: December 12, 2012, 01:02:33 pm »

There are a couple other tricks:
You can move the rocket sideways in the VAB to place it further from the tower, and you can put the craft file in the SPH folder to launch it from the runway.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: December 12, 2012, 02:49:24 pm »

You can put it on launch clamps and just move it away. Or move it up so that it's over the tower. Or if there's a specific piece hitting the tower deck up top, you can just rotate the ship a little.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: December 12, 2012, 03:10:09 pm »

Oh my goodness. This helped TONS. I can now have a much more efficient rocket because moar rocketstuffs on the horizontal plane and then... NUCLEAR ENGINES. I can't believe how efficient they are in space. It makes no sense.

Now I get why people can get places and do things. Eesh! I've put a man on the moon, though my design where a manned probe would be dropped off the rocket's tail didn't work. Or rather, the probe keeps getting dropped mid-flight.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3024 on: December 12, 2012, 03:11:47 pm »

Why does the NERVA use oxidizer? It's a thermal engine that has its own uranium fuel and a great deal of water or some other reaction mass. I could see it burning water tanks.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: December 12, 2012, 03:26:43 pm »

magics.

Presumably that's (and probably the engine itself) are placeholders for now.
Magma is overrated.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: December 12, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »

Ok, nuclear engines aren't that good. They prove next to no thrust. I am trying to reverse thrust my way into the Mun's orbit... it's not happening :\

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: December 12, 2012, 03:53:23 pm »

are you sure they are actually powered, and you have an appropriate number of them?
the thrust they provide isn't that bad. but it is a bit more than 1/4 of a standard 1m rocket engine. ( if I remember numbers correctly).
low, yes, but not quite low enough that I would say they provide no thrust.

it is ion engines that are useless for anything more than slow orbit correction on probes.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: December 12, 2012, 04:14:29 pm »

It took me like 2m straight maximum power to get an orbit around Mun... but.......

Here's the Corollary Mk 1 (my ship that gets into orbit is the Theorem Mk 1).

And we made it to the Mun...

And mandatory epic pics!

And now to fail miserably at getting back to Kerbin.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: December 12, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »

you are using just one nuclear rocket.
to achieve similar thrust to a standard lander rocket, I suggest having 2 engines, on the sides.
also, for long burns, physical warp is your friend (ALT + whatever your keyboard key for time warp is. goes up to 4x)
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 848