Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487544 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2940 on: December 09, 2012, 06:15:21 am »

Yeah, I found that out the hard way when I tried to get my station into orbit, and maneuvered from the map mode.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2941 on: December 09, 2012, 07:03:54 am »

Struts? Mainsails generally require some throttle control as well, to prevent overheating.

Strangely enough, only if attached to the big red fuel tank
As far as I know, it's a bug.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: December 09, 2012, 07:11:44 am »

So, i've been trying a new aproach to the wobbleness issues:

CLAMPS!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No, wait, I mean: Clamps!

Sadly, it clips through the space station when docked.
But clamps on well when not docked:

Mission failed :(

But look at this baller station intercept!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2943 on: December 09, 2012, 08:04:06 am »

Lesson learned: don't use really really light probes that react very delicately to your every RCS thrust when trying to learn docking. SO FRUSTRATING Dx

That tiny probe is way too reactive towards RCS, and the retrograde swings around everywhere. Dx I can't seem to be able to dock...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: December 09, 2012, 08:23:48 am »

The gravestones keep piling up in my pursuit to create the Populator SSTO.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: December 09, 2012, 08:32:30 am »

hard learned lesson: the maneuver node shows how your nose should be aligned, assuming that the trust vector is aligned with your nose  ::)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: December 09, 2012, 01:01:51 pm »

Well the beginning of the KSP communications net is almost fully set up.
3 Com sats and a orbiting command center over Kerbin (though it's omni antennae broke off) and the Mun.  Just need to put another 3-6 up and I should be able to run any remote controled ship I want, to where ever I want.
I did launch the first part of the Kerbal International Science Station, but I may relaunch it since it ended up in a kind of a bad orbit.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: December 09, 2012, 01:17:43 pm »

Are those the default com antennas. Doesn't appear like it to me.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: December 09, 2012, 01:30:23 pm »

Struts? Mainsails generally require some throttle control as well, to prevent overheating.

Strangely enough, only if attached to the big red fuel tank
As far as I know, it's a bug.

It is, the red/orange tanks don't disapate heat for some reason. Swap out the orange tank with two white ones (same mass and fuel) and you will see a marked difference in overheating.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: December 09, 2012, 01:32:05 pm »

There's two antenaes. one is the typical telescopic one that points straight out, the orange one looks like a long, orange oval when folded up, but unfolded it's like a satellite dish.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: December 09, 2012, 01:43:57 pm »

I was of the impressions that the antennae were useless. They didn't appear do anything in 0.18

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: December 09, 2012, 01:46:55 pm »

http://kerbalspaceport.com/remotetech-3/
They aren't.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: December 09, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »

For fun, you can always make a 9 part probe capable of travelling anywhere in kerbal. Get a box, put two standard canards on it, two of the small radial RCS containers on each wing, a solar panel on both sides and two linear RCS thrusters on the bottom.

Because it flips out in atmosphere, shove it on top of a small rocket to get it out of atmos and fly whereever!
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: December 09, 2012, 03:06:26 pm »

while trying to make a single stage to orbit plane, I got to 1500m/s

what is the airspeed record on atmos engines?

(it has triple of every wing that the testing craft had, so it should also work on duna)
I think that's my current record. Some guys here got to over 2500m/s by putting intakes on intakes on intakes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: December 09, 2012, 03:37:22 pm »

So, despite being a very early KSP adopter, I've never been what you might call "good" at this game.  And certainly not dedicated.  For instance, never successfully landed on the Mun.  Oh I've landings the pilot could walk away from, but none they could get home with.  Had a really promissing one with v18, but I spaced on time compression and didn't feel like doing it again.

Last night, I made my first and so far only docking attempt.  Took nearly two hours of trial and error to get the craft within docking distance of each other instead of the controlled one flying past a million miles an hour.  Then another two hours into the wee morning fucking with it over and over again to no avail.  It seemed like every time I'd get close enough to do anything, my docking craft would over-correct out of control or the target would start rolling on its own or the flight commands would just up and shift 90 degrees on me.  Eventually I got so pissed off that I just shut it down and went to sleep.

First thing in the morning, tried again and got it within fifteen minutes.  I had basically given up too, just went back to square one, eyeballed the lineup, and said fuck it I'll make new and better craft if it crashes.  And hey presto it worked.

Spoiler: KSS Fuck This Station (click to show/hide)

The chunk with the umbrellas was the incoming portion, the one on the left the target.  The addition doesn't have a pilot, and Astronaut Ronrim there deserves zero credit after all he did was slowly spin away from me while I did all the work.

You can see the repeated engine section, which was exactly the problem.  The way the RCS nozzles are placed made them almost impossible to adjust.  Translations would pendulum the nose off-axis, and steering corrects would laterally throw the back end.  I had to shut off all the nozzles except the centerline, and even they weren't very cooperative.  Let that be a lesson to check your RCS placement versus your center of mass.  I think an ASAS unit might be a good addition too, to keep the station pointed at one heading while stuff docks with it.

It sure would be helpful if you could switch between craft without having to go to the Orbit map or the Tracking Station.

For an encore, I decided to tackle another Mun attempt.  I'd already made it once with a good design, I just didn't pay attention.  By luck, I got Bill back to do it with again.  Thanks to the maneuver plotter, I had a really cool rendezvous with a yoyo around the Mun to land on the "forward" side with a low angle sun to help my landing bearings.

Problem was that I used half the lander's fuel and most of the RCS getting there, but once again thanks to the plotter for a really cool deep-space escape plot that got me back to Kerbin with a little fuel.  That I then wasted trying to plan a landing zone, and wound up having to orbit twice to shed enough velocity in the atmosphere to splash down.

Also, an experiment with the lander capsule.  If you have the pilot leave the cabin, then go to first person on the passenger, then hit 'V', you can get this:

Spoiler: Neato. (click to show/hide)

I don't know if it works with other capsules.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 848