Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487605 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2775 on: December 04, 2012, 01:19:32 am »

After about half a dozen attempts, I finally docked my massive fuel module to my station. It has 5 orange fuel tanks. That was a pain and a half to get into orbit. My station now has 5 modules; 2 generic ones, 1 RCS and Ion fuel module, a power module, and the massive fuel module.

How many orange fuel tanks did it take to get those 5 into orbit?
My carrier rocket uses an equivalent of three and a half orange tanks to get three quarters of an orange tank's mass into a 150/150 orbit for docking at the station.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2776 on: December 04, 2012, 01:46:33 am »

After about half a dozen attempts, I finally docked my massive fuel module to my station. It has 5 orange fuel tanks. That was a pain and a half to get into orbit. My station now has 5 modules; 2 generic ones, 1 RCS and Ion fuel module, a power module, and the massive fuel module.

My carrier rocket uses an equivalent of three and a half orange tanks to get three quarters of an orange tank's mass into a 150/150 orbit for docking at the station.
Can you show us pictures of your rockets so I can shamelessly copy the design?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: December 04, 2012, 02:11:31 am »

Is anyone else getting massive lag spikes in the new version? Even when I'm in the main menu screen my cursor will just stutter and freeze for no apparent reason. Dropping the graphics settings seems to reduce it but doesn't eliminate it entirely.

This is on a fairly new machine which had no problems with the previous version.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: December 04, 2012, 02:21:59 am »

So, a few pages back people were discussing making a moving space station, and it caught my interest.

So what kind of modules should it be made of?
Obviously it should have some engine modules, maybe some fuel modules, som habitat pods, and power nodes.

Then it should have a probe array, maybe fly a mission to check out the pressure at Jool.

And it should have 1 or 2 crewed landing craft.

Also escape pods.... maybe 5 lander capsules on top of each other.

anything else?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: December 04, 2012, 02:48:26 am »

Make a control node between the engine node and the core node, so that the control node has a docking port on the top and another on the side; put the dockin on an engine node side.

This should allow to attach the engine with a great deal of freedom about its orientation, allowing to position it in a way that the thrust vector is almost aligned to the station center of mass.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: December 04, 2012, 02:54:32 am »

wait, did you just invent rotational engines?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:12 am »

Naa its a pretty old invention dating at least to archimede.

I'm just goong to work now will post pictures in 10 hours or so if nobody slow-ninja me.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: December 04, 2012, 04:51:12 am »

Can you show us pictures of your rockets so I can shamelessly copy the design?
It's nothing spectacular.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: looking at it now and running some mental math, I think my previous statement was very wrong. Eight long standards make one orange tank, so that's five orange tanks to haul ~3/4 of one orange tank's worth of fuel up.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:58:20 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: December 04, 2012, 05:54:49 am »

Looks like the ISS. those large panels make the difference. And yes, my first generation tugs were horrible, so i just made something closer along the lines to the fitter idea presented in this thread. in hindsight they could have done with only half the rcs thrusters.

I know one thing for sure, I better get everything else i want to add to this right the first time. After disassembling and reassembling parts of it tonight with the 18.1 patch, I know I sure as hell don't want to do that again. So much wobblyness.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:56:28 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:57 am »

In the new version (18.1 as opposed to 18.0), most of the things that come off the ship are now called "unknown". For example instead of "<ship name> debres" it is now "<ship name> unknown". The names stack so i have some stuff called "<ship name> unknown unknown unknown unknown unknown unknown". This was with a save copied from 18.0. This also affects probes, and any object that you no longer control (for example, going from spacecraft to tracking station) rendering them useless.

Anyway my current, possibly oversized rocket (and some miscellaneous old test-vehicles laying about the place):

Which (apart from some unidentified explosions after the physics engine kicks in) works fine. Plus, any spiders dont have to worry about setting up a web, its already done for them. All those struts were necessary to stop it from turning into a gigantic spring, and it runs at about 1/2 fps a second during takeoff because of it.

Is there a mod for a larger platform...

To Duna:

Spoiler: takeoff (click to show/hide)

Testing out my new all-terrain vehicles, a go-cart for exploration of a planet:
Spoiler: Takeoff (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ...oh... (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ...fuck (click to show/hide)

In short, Low gravity = go slowly. Good thing I brought two...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: December 04, 2012, 07:44:01 am »

For those interested, someone on the forums showed that you can use the smallest strut part placed on the bottom of the large fuel tanks as mounting points for mid sized engines. EG, you can have 4 in a grid of 5 in a cross etc. Basically a replacement for a mid range engine of that size, its really, really handy.
thread is here
Magma is overrated.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2786 on: December 04, 2012, 07:57:53 am »

Neat! I should try this as my Earth to Space Transport mark 2. xD Less power, but maybe getting a probe in orbit 'round the Mun.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:44 am »

Another bonus of that arrangement is that a ring of engines is always inherently more stable than a single, central one.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: December 04, 2012, 08:16:59 am »

6 engines at 200 thurst =1200 thrust, comparable to the mainsail engine(1500), and better impulse at ground level.

Bonus: Looks super fucking awesome!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: December 04, 2012, 10:04:18 am »

they lag as hell though
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 848