Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487518 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2730 on: December 02, 2012, 08:07:14 pm »

I'd say periapsis, so you end up moving faster than it and can slow down if you overtake it instead of trying to catch up if it passes you.
Nothing important here, move along.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2731 on: December 02, 2012, 09:30:38 pm »

You should try and get the station's orbit as circular as possible anyway, so it shouldn't really matter.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: December 02, 2012, 10:16:02 pm »

MechJeb Beta is out. It's all sorts of messed up.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: December 02, 2012, 10:25:50 pm »

Touch two docking ports together. One you get them close enough, they'll stick together, though sometimes I've had to disable SAS before they can become fully docked. There is a docking port part with a cover that needs to be opened, but you don't have to do anything special for the regular ports.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2734 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:48 am »

I have no idea how people dock stuff :/ You all talk of it like it's so simple ;_; I mean, I can't even aim my rockets good enough to be roughly similar to the station's orbit.

Though, the fact that my most recent space station part I wanted to dock with the rest of the station was rather unsteerable probably didn't help.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: December 03, 2012, 03:02:43 am »

Learn on a easy situation, instead of going for the station.

Make a dockable craft, launch one at 150km circular and the other at 100

Now, the lower one will be faster, control that one.

Place a node on your orbit to bring your orbit AP at 151km

Now you should see two closest approach marker. Drag the node until the marker are aligned, then fine tune until the separation distance shown from the marker is < than 5km

Now perform that maneuver and you will be close and just a bit slower.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #2736 on: December 03, 2012, 03:04:51 am »

When you're all building these really advanced looking space stations, (like a large scale one) do you just bring up chunks at a time with a docking clamp and release it from the rocket once its docked at station? Nothing else really need be done?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: December 03, 2012, 03:05:45 am »

Then follow this:

@Everybody that sucks as much at docking as I did 30 minutes ago:

1: Set you docking target as target (duh)

2: Use planning to get a close approach, anything under 10 km will do.

3: When you use the target function, your prograde and retrograde icons(the green ones) on the navball is relative to the velocity difference of your target.

4: That means: burn towards retrograde, until you have no speed difference to the target.

5: Then burn towards the target(the purple icons on the navball) Now you are heading straight for the target.

6: burn retrograde again when you get close to the target.

7: repeat steps 5-6 until you are very close, then dock using rcs and the docking mode.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: December 03, 2012, 03:43:29 am »

Wow, I just made a Hypersonic test craft. 8 fuel tanks, 2 engines 4 radial scoops and 2 axial ones, at a 22km cruise altitude it sits on about 1400m/s. and it has enough fuel to get around the planet.

Splace plane!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:37:48 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: December 03, 2012, 04:43:25 am »

When you're all building these really advanced looking space stations, (like a large scale one) do you just bring up chunks at a time with a docking clamp and release it from the rocket once its docked at station? Nothing else really need be done?
I was bringing them up in these large chunks dotted with RCS thrusters. Now that I have my flitter fleet in orbit, I can just detach the individual chunks, and have the flitters pilot them into position to dock on the station. Everything's done manually of course, but the small flitters make it easier.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: December 03, 2012, 05:04:41 am »

My first mission was Apollo styled:
-snip-
Dude that's an huge and inneficient rocket. I've managed to land a larger module with a smaller rocket than that one.

Quite!
I just needed to go to the moon, and this thing brought me there, mission accomplished.

@LoSboccacc was just about to repost that! Once you realize the navball shows speed relative to your target, it becomes so easy.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:02:53 am by ank »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: December 03, 2012, 05:34:08 am »

The more I play this version the more I come to hate the tweaked physics. The mainsail engines are wobbly as all hell, meaning I have to use the launch stabiliser things every single time. On top of this, things seem overly ready to explode. Uncoupled some empty booster rockets, they begin to drift outwards, one of them taps my mainsail engine (not even running at this point) and the entire bottom half of my rocket explodes. Dafuq?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: December 03, 2012, 06:06:02 am »

It would be nice to have some sort of mid range engine for the large size tanks. Though perhaps i should just be using a smaller engine and some of the radial ones to get that effect.
Magma is overrated.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: December 03, 2012, 06:24:24 am »

For a midrange engine you should try a few regular ones on a tricoupler. And rocket engines are incredibly sensitive. It's just that there are no gradations of damage yet. If a detached booster rocket tapped your main engine IRL, you would have a severely damaged, and likely inoperable engine. In KSP, there is no "damaged", there are just "whole" and "exploded", so the engine does the only thing it can do in the situation, and explodes. Same thing with fuel tanks filled with fuel.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: December 03, 2012, 06:37:20 am »

i think he means a space station that can change what planet/moon/whatever it orbits.

Wouldn't weight imbalances make it spinning madly?
I should have predicted that. I guess I was to happy because I learned how to dock. Now I have a massive spinning cross floating arround mun.

For a midrange engine you should try a few regular ones on a tricoupler. And rocket engines are incredibly sensitive. It's just that there are no gradations of damage yet. If a detached booster rocket tapped your main engine IRL, you would have a severely damaged, and likely inoperable engine. In KSP, there is no "damaged", there are just "whole" and "exploded", so the engine does the only thing it can do in the situation, and explodes. Same thing with fuel tanks filled with fuel.

Tri couplers in midle stages suck. They make the whole structure weak. If atleast they worked as a decoupler too.

]Edit: Forgot to add that I've made some sort of space gas station, I'll use it to lauch ships with only the required fuel to get into orbit and get the rest of fuel there. I just need mech jeb to not expend 10 hours a day lauching cheap ass rockets with only fuel tanks as payload and docking them.

I really think the lack of midrange engines disturbing. 3 ~200 thrust ones and a 2500 thrust one. Devs where mad.(They were also mad with those ion engines, I'm aware that RL ion engines can barely lift a paper sheet here on earth but gameplay>realism.)
And what do you guys think about the addition of oxidizer and fuel ? I couldn't find a away to exploit that.
Edit ll: Screenshots still black I don't know what the hell is causing this so no pics of my cheap ass rockets.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:49:20 am by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 848