Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487487 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2715 on: December 02, 2012, 05:50:46 pm »

finally! what can (hardly) be seen here is that I docked my first 2 crafts!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the bad part? the thing you see in the background is the third piece.
it should have been the station hub. but due to a mistake, the only port it has is a small port, and it has no engines, little RCS and no ASAS. SAS power is also pityful, since it only has a tiny probe.
Which means, I'll have to use the station to dock to it.
the whole, heavily unbalanced station. on a small docking port.

wish me luck  :(

I would abandon it, but there are bill bob and jeb on it.

edit: congratulations on the mun station!
Simple! Just send your kerblanauts to EVA and guide them safetly to the station! I have done the same thing during the contruction of my lunar orbital station wich I mentioned in the above post.(Wee seem to have accomplished docking roughly at the same time  ;) ) I have also started building Kerbus, the first orbital station arround kerbin, it will house 8 kerbaunauts and hopefully have interplanetary capabilities.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2716 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:48 pm »

Simple! Just send your kerblanauts to EVA and guide them safetly to the station! I have done the same thing during the contruction of my lunar orbital station wich I mentioned in the above post.

problem is, crew module is what I am failing to dock :P I could still leave them hanging from ladders, I guess... but that is still far from ideal.

honestly, most of my problems come from trying too hard to recover a VERY failed mission.
hm. I could send a new and improved crew module, rescue kerbonauts, and then dock that to the station. may require a bit of launch power, but fairly doable....

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 02, 2012, 06:13:34 pm »

i think he means a space station that can change what planet/moon/whatever it orbits.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 02, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »

yes, about that... post screenshots when you are done!

I can't imagine building a large enough station to do such a thing.... would take a long time, and I am not sure I can dock well enough to keep everything nice and symmetrical.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: December 02, 2012, 06:18:45 pm »

besides, it might just be better to call it a SPKV. or a Space Produced Kerbal Vessel.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 02, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »

i think he means a space station that can change what planet/moon/whatever it orbits.

Wouldn't weight imbalances make it spinning madly?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: December 02, 2012, 06:25:10 pm »

RCS, man. tons of it. and low thrust. ( tried that. an highly asymmetrical station, with the engine on the side, could accelerate a bit... I imagine a better equipped station could do more)

either that, or build it symmetrical enough to solve most such problems.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: December 02, 2012, 06:25:16 pm »

You could make it close to symmetric though, couldn't you?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: December 02, 2012, 06:28:32 pm »

Technically, if you didn't mind having redundant sections, you could make it perfectly symmetrical with a linear central column and the redundant systems placed on the opposite side of one another.
Nothing important here, move along.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 02, 2012, 06:41:26 pm »

You could make it close to symmetric though, couldn't you?

No, I have this rare, non lethal illness, for which I can't plan in video games.  ::)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: December 02, 2012, 06:44:43 pm »

then, tons of SAS and RCS, and of course an ASAS. may not be fast, but it will fly.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: December 02, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »

this node interface is really powerful; trying different configurations to the planet encounter allowed me to find one with about 700m/s of dV less to be used (still out of reach of the current stage, so the eta burn is off)

Is there a simple (read as: "Idiot's") guide to the node interface anywhere at all?  I've managed a couple of docking manoeuvres by dint of trial, error and sheer blind luck, and used the targeting system to find decent intersect points, but I'd really like to work out how to use the system itself efficiently.  The KSP wiki obviously hasn't been updated since the patch.  ;)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: December 02, 2012, 06:50:38 pm »

Landed on the Mun with .18 stock parts. I'd done it in previous versions, but this was the first time I'd done the landing from the IVA view. The Lander Can works pretty well in that capacity. I hope docking with the command module for the return trip doesn't prove to be too troublesome.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: December 02, 2012, 07:16:31 pm »

normal and radial; normal can be upward or downward, radial can be inward and outward

Excellent, thank you!
Also, is anyone else having trouble posting on the KSP forums? I've had an account since 2011 but never actually tried to post until now, and it wont let me.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: December 02, 2012, 08:01:48 pm »

Damnit, trying to rendezvous with this space station is proving more difficult than I thought it would be. Is there some kind of trick to it? It seems when I do it I'm always moving too slow for it. Is there a point where it would be ideal to meet with a staion? I figured it would be at the apoapsis, but I dunno.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 848