Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487448 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2670 on: December 01, 2012, 04:43:08 pm »

me too. took me hours to get 2 crafts close enough ( although that was partially because rocket kept exploding).
and then I discovered I didn't have docking clamps!

but still...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2671 on: December 01, 2012, 07:36:24 pm »

also, I am now semi confident that the cross shaped thing doesn't actually have clamps included.

I believe you are correct.  I had to manually add docking ports onto the one I shipped up there.

However, I did finally manage to (a) ship the multi-way hub up into a more-or-less circular orbit, then (b) rendezvous and dock with it with another, subsequent rocket!  :D

Need to rework my lifter design, though - burned through my fuel so quickly on (b) that I ended up having to do all my orbital adjustments with RCS.  Not close-up manoeuvring - orbital adjustments.  Of dozens of kilometres of difference.  It was not fun, and I ended up having to try and match the damn spin of the station hub at the same time as equalising the orbits.  Luckily, after bumping into it at very low speeds a few times, the automatic docking kicked in and locked me in.   :P

Then I ended the flight, and now it just registers in the tracking office as 'debris'.  Should I not have ended it that way?  :-\
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: December 01, 2012, 08:21:39 pm »

Got my first probe into stable orbit around Kerbin, using the ion drive to correct the orbit path once it was up there. Awesome! What exactly do the communication satellite things do? Also I'm disliking how wobbly the mainsail engines are on the landing pad now. I hope that get fixed soon.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: December 01, 2012, 11:15:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure antennas can remotely control other spacecraft if you are close.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2675 on: December 01, 2012, 11:29:02 pm »

Welp, I suck at controlling rockets.

I'm certain that in the past when I played this some of the rockets I made were likely easily capable of reaching Mun, yet I couldn't reach it.

Now I'm likely going to be making Jool worthy rockets, but intended for Mun, and failing to reach the the target.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: December 01, 2012, 11:46:00 pm »

also, I am now semi confident that the cross shaped thing doesn't actually have clamps included.
They don't. You can find two kinds of docking clamps in the utilities tab, one big and one small. not sure if small ones can fit into big ones yet. You can rotate pieces with WSADQE and fine rotate while holding shift. Attaching docking clamps together will create a ship that is pre-docked.

So far I've made a space station and actually made a proper landing on the Mun. I left the lander there and returned the Kerbal home safely. Unfortunately the Mun is tidal locked so you wouldn't be able to see the lander from Kerbol =<

Next I might try docking with the station I made because why not?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: December 02, 2012, 02:46:59 am »

I'm setting up a station of my own. So far just the essentials hub, and the habitat.

Next addition is the service module, equipped with a fleet of flitters to act as local tugs and rescue craft. Adding it would be easier if I remembered to set an action group to disable the flitters' RCS thrusters, because the whole thing is now impossible to finely control while the flitters are attached.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:13 am »

HELP!

all my craft looks like shit crap

I wish I was able to make something as cool as:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31741-0-18-MunShot-X1-%28Apollo-style-craft%29

But I have zero artistic sense.

Suggestion accepted  ::)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: December 02, 2012, 05:54:28 am »

The docking of the service module to the station was a success.

Meet the flitter:

I'm quite happy with this design. Fast, agile, sustainable, docking ports of both sizes, lights, ASAS.. quite a loadout.

Station as of now:

Flitters at work: deorbiting the pusher stage.

Yes, the service module is a little off, but that's a docking bug. I tried undocking and redocking, and it is still offset. At least it doesn't seem to affect the connection strength.

Next up, putting some fuel tanks up there! :D
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:36 am »

wow, you docked so much stuff... I don't know if I would have the patience to do that. mainly since I have to design new rockets for each module, if I need to introduce variations in size or weight... and new rockets tend to explode :/
I almost made my first docking yesterday, but I clicked end flight instead of space center...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2681 on: December 02, 2012, 06:14:43 am »

How you people manage all that mad maneuvering and design is so ...

I mean, I can't even match the orbital paths so I can meet the core I sent up ;_; I thought there was a flight planner thingy, but I can't seem to activate it.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: December 02, 2012, 06:21:34 am »

click on your orbit path, and then click "add manouver" ( or something like that). a circle withh appear, showing possible thrust direction ( forward, backward, left, right, up, down). by pulling the symbols of those directions, you plan a change in your orbit, that will appear as a dotted line.

also, you can select a target. click on your target, and then on select as target.
this will highlight targets orbit, and also will show the points in which orbits are closer ( called intercepts). you will also have an arrow pointing at where target will be during intercepts. your goal is to make the intercept arrow and "target at  intercept" arrow become as close as possible. then, you can get close by aiming at target, without messing more with orbits.

you can also drag manouver points around your orbit, to see the effects of the position in which you make the Delta-V change.

near the nav ball, you will be shown time to node, and delta v required.
on the nav ball, a blue cross will show the direction in which you must thrust.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: December 02, 2012, 06:25:56 am »

My first mission was Apollo styled:

First i tried to make a rocket as close to Saturn 5 as I could:
But it was simply too wobly, and not powerful enough

So I built another better launch vehicle:
Launch craft:

Return module, Lander + Unlander and moonshot stage on the way to the moon:

Orbit Art:

Separation, God Speed!

On the way down:

One small step for kerb, one giant leap for kerbalkind!

Returning to orbit, lander left behind:

Docking successful!

Midnight splashdown:

And it wouldn't be KSP if the mission didn't end with a fatal splashdown...
More chutes next time!

Also, apart from the first crew that flew into the moon, and this crew that splashed down fatally, no Kerbals have been lost, due to the implementation of an escape tower.
With the new control group feature, I can always save the kerbals, even if the rocket explodes on the launchpad.
I've had about 30 rockets explode, but no deaths.(Besides from the deaths incurred while testing the escape tower... gotta break some eggs I guess)

@Everybody that sucks as much at docking as I did 30 minutes ago:

1: Set you docking target as target (duh)

2: Use planning to get a close approach, anything under 10 km will do.

3: When you use the target function, your prograde and retrograde icons(the green ones) on the navball is relative to the velocity difference of your target.

4: That means: burn towards retrograde, until you have no speed difference to the target.

5: Then burn towards the target(the purple icons on the navball) Now you are heading straight for the target.

6: burn retrograde again when you get close to the target.

7: repeat steps 5-6 until you are very close, then dock using rcs and the docking mode.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: December 02, 2012, 06:34:16 am »

Is there any benefit to putting parachutes on staging parts to save your empty fuel tanks yet?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 848