Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487569 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2550 on: November 21, 2012, 02:49:34 am »

KSP version 0.18 will not be compatible with earlier saved games, for obvious reasons.

Also, that's how the the abovementioned action groups are set up in the dev. build:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2551 on: November 21, 2012, 03:00:34 am »

Will we be able to alter control schemes in orbit?
I'm thinking that you'd want to change the controls if you dock multiple parts that have to work together.
Otherwise you'd have to plan really carefully.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: November 21, 2012, 07:49:37 am »

Will we be able to alter control schemes in orbit?
I'm thinking that you'd want to change the controls if you dock multiple parts that have to work together.
Otherwise you'd have to plan really carefully.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/294-Yet-Another-Docking-Update-Docking-Controls

looks like they changed/updated how you control the ship, if thats what you meant.

Resources (fuel, electrical energy, modded resources) can be transferred between ships through docking ports, or shut off for whatever reason.

whoo a new energy resource.
i always thought about spacestations and "moon-ground-stations" like a mix of the games "SS13" and "Space Colony".

there would be a "building designer" building where you can design blueprints of spacestations or parts of spacestations that you dock to other parts and even buildings that you can build on other planets.

the building would be with a bunch of 1x2x1 tubes (connecting rooms) and 1x1x1x blocks (bunch of them make rooms) a bit like the "SS13" station is build up or the "buildingdomes" in Space Colony.
and each block/room could be have equipment build at the inside walls (consoles/chairs/lamps/storages) or outside walls (ladders/mechanical arms/solar panels) or both (i.e. airlocks).

building them could be with construction modules, when used with a kerbin you could select a saved blueprint that "howers" in space near the construction module (some console/construction arm).
in space the start of a station could always be a airlock/docking part that would act as "anchor/root/start" for the other parts.
on the ground the construction module could create a foundation where you then start build the building "blocks" on.

the blueprint is a new "ship" that needs to be build yourself then.
either with shipping complete parts near the construction module (arm grabs it and moves it to the required place and welds it together, maybe there are "rails" outside of the "airlock root" similar to ladders where the construction arm could move along to further away areas of the blueprint.)
or inside crates, that you load into new storage parts (might open on the sides? with little arms that move the crates out?) and that then is used with the construction module. maybe kerbals could move them around too... but i wonder how it would look like when they carry a crate... well maybe they drag or push it around... probably less a issue in space where they could float it through airlocks... well probably easyest to just be used with the construction module.... like:

the more you add on a blueprint the more full parts or crates you need to move to space to make the whole blueprint.
a little station might be something like:
30 room blocks, 1 bed, 1 table, 1 chair, 3 consoles, 4 solar panels, 10 lights, 24 ladders, 1 airlock, 12 storagecrates (food, batteries, airtanks etc containers to storage resources basically.).

and each small storage part that you can load with crates to move them to space (imagine a empty fueltank) might hold 10 crates and a big storage part 30.

and with the resources and added storage room equipment and consoles and all each building/station could produce/need several different resources like:
energy (consoles use it, solarpanels/generators produce it),water (made from mined ice?),air (plants produce air),food (made by hydroponics equipment),minerals (mined on planets, used for construction/research).
and everything a station/ship produces/needs would be simple +- numbers (i.e. each console -1 energy, each solarpanel +1 energy, each kerbin -1food and -1air) or a maintenance info button in the tracking station that shoes these numbers and avaiable storage and how many days/weeks/months it lasts.
and you could move the resources around with the storage crates. i.e. transport more food from a moon base to a spacestation.

----------------------------------
but the KSP devs are pretty awesome in what they do... the solar panels/dockign and energy recource are a great start to stations.
so i guess they will come up with a fun stuff/mechanics for stations, probably with the "inside kerbal movement" (IVA?) might add a bunch of stuff to do for kerbals inside parts/stations.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: November 21, 2012, 10:39:43 am »

iva. now, if they had a way so that we can go and start a colony several light-years away...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2554 on: November 21, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »

iva. now, if they had a way so that we can go and start a colony several light-years away...
Light years away? Can we get the ability to start a colony in our own solar system first?

Also perhaps put some things on Kerbin itself?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: November 21, 2012, 01:47:49 pm »

why?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: November 21, 2012, 02:22:18 pm »

exactly.
Highly Opinionated Fool

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: November 21, 2012, 02:31:38 pm »

no, im just saying why not allow colonies in other solarsystems before adding cities to our own world.
Highly Opinionated Fool

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2560 on: November 21, 2012, 02:40:47 pm »

no, im just saying why not allow colonies in other solarsystems before adding cities to our own world.
Because it doesn't make logical sense to colonize a distant solar system when you can't even colonize a world in the local system? Or even the planet you live on.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: November 21, 2012, 03:04:07 pm »

Even if they did add in the capability to go interstellar and make colonies, there isn't any reason you wouldn't be able to use the same tech to make colonies on the existing planets of the Kerbin solar system.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2562 on: November 21, 2012, 03:08:12 pm »

Even if they did add in the capability to go interstellar and make colonies, there isn't any reason you wouldn't be able to use the same tech to make colonies on the existing planets of the Kerbin solar system.
I know that, I'm just poking fun. Stop spoiling it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: November 21, 2012, 04:24:21 pm »

but its so much fun!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: November 21, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »

and with the resources and added storage room equipment and consoles and all each building/station could produce/need several different resources like:
energy (consoles use it, solarpanels/generators produce it),water (made from mined ice?),air (plants produce air),food (made by hydroponics equipment),minerals (mined on planets, used for construction/research).
and everything a station/ship produces/needs would be simple +- numbers (i.e. each console -1 energy, each solarpanel +1 energy, each kerbin -1food and -1air) or a maintenance info button in the tracking station that shoes these numbers and available storage and how many days/weeks/months it lasts.
and you could move the resources around with the storage crates. i.e. transport more food from a moon base to a spacestation.
If you look at KSP .18 you will find that there are resources stored within tanks (oxidizer, liquid fuel, electrical energy, xenon gas, etc.). In conjuction with the planned feature "Saving Parts: The ability to save parts and reuse them in a different ship, like a lander" there could be a potentially more elegant solution. You pack a ship full of construction resources which will later be used up as the base is constructed. You would then go to the Mun, or wherever you wish to have your base located with your rocket, and actually design the building right on-site sort of like the old roller coaster tycoon games where you created your roller coasters to suit the surroundings. Because of the future ability to save parts in the VAB you should be able to simply load a pre-designed base if you wish.

Then your kerbonauts would begin construction, using robotic arms built on the ship (or even a construction rover you designed, once those are in) to help place the structures. It would be neat if you had to manually move the arm, so you needed to actually build the base yourself. Or screw around and toss your kerbonauts with the arm =3

Exploring Kerbin itself would be cool, and while the artists aren't busy they could be working on that.

My keyboard is dying so I'm off.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 848