Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487679 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

I'm still puzzled by spaceplanes though. This monstrosity carries 7050 liters of jet fuel, but just two aerospike engines devour it all in less than five minutes! Is there something fundamentally wrong with it?
(Toroidal) Aerospike engines are rocket engines IIRC.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

the jet fuel container contain 150 liters, the liquid fuel containers holds 400 liters.

the jet engines are really lean, but aerospikes and liquid fuel engines in general eat fuel like there is no tomorrow!

also, for better aerospacing, try this mod:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/20451-0-17-Ferram-Aerospace-Research-v0-5-Aerodynamics-Fixes-For-Planes-Rockets
(0.5 doesn't add parts and it is my favorite, 0.5.1 adds some engines)

if you want it modless, consider this:
you need your center of lift slightly behind your center of mass.
you may want to have forward mounting canard, because it makes the plane easier to take off.
angled wings and control surface are really wonky, try not to rotate them

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Well, I missed the Mun, but I got into orbit around the Sun somehow. xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That Uber space plane is amazing, I didn't think it was possible.

Notice that it only uses the rocket fuel tanks:

When comparing the numbers of the different types of fuel tanks, they all have less fuel/mass than the rocket tanks.
(Rocket tanks have 177 fuel/ton, while all other tanks have 150 fuel/ton, or less. Also all tanks have 0.2 drag, no matter the size)

I'll have to try and make my own plane, with the same capabilities. Even though I made the huge ass plane, and it did have a bigger payload, doing it in one stage is just amazing!
Refuelling stations with kethane anyone?

EDIT: first attempt ended with failing to reach orbit, and the plane being unstable once the fuel was gone, also failed to land.
A sad day for all kerbals.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:15:33 am by ank »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

its sad. i can build things that can escape the solarsystem, but i cant get into orbit...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

its sad. i can build things that can escape the solarsystem, but i cant get into orbit...

2 words:
Lateral Speed....
Try it sometime.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

The fail-safe way, and most fuel expensive way, is to match the orbit of target planet in both eccentricity and inclination as well as traveling in the opposite direction.
The most fuel-efficient way is to use planetary phase angles and delta-v math to calculate a more precise intercept course. I did this once by hand to get to Eve and manage to succeed after a few tries.

Later, however, being the lazy bastard I am, I started launching myself out of Kerbin's SOI and establishing a circular orbit around Kerbol somewhere between Kerbin and either Duna or Eve. Then I use Mech-Jeb to establish a Hohmann transfer to target planet. It may take more time to succeed than using the more precise approach, but it saves me the pain from making costly mistakes.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Check out the tutorial.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to be clear: are we talking about Kerbin orbit, or another planet like Eve?

I thought you meant Kerbin.

And while we might think it's ridiculous to not be able to get into Kerbin orbit, just remember what the game was like before it "clicked".

KSP has taught me how orbits and space-flight works, I had not idea about lateral speeds and such before.

How many here thought, before playing KSP, that getting to the moon was just a matter of pointing at it and burning?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

all the russians, at least, and half nasa until very late in the program  :P

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its stuff I already knew, but i'm in my final year of an engineering degree at uni. The game would certainly teach most people more about orbital mechanics than most classes would, that's for sure.
Magma is overrated.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah... I've been a spaceflight fan for decades now. I started my gaming with Microsoft Space Simulator. I spent years just travelling around the solar system and galaxy. Most of the time on autopilot, but it was fun just to look at things, and on occasion fly a lander down to a surface somewhere. Then came the Elite sequels, Frontier, and Frontier: First Encounters. Autopilot kept me somewhat seperated from the actual physics part of it, so i never had to learn much and the comfortable fuel limit and thrust capacities of most ships allowed plenty of just "point and burn" when I did need to do manual control.

Then I got into Orbiter Sim. But even that(excepting the space shuttle), had somewhat fantastical thrust to fuel ratios, and the relatively tiny SSTO delta glider making it to low orbit with 20-40% fuel left and capable of making it all the way to lunar orbit from the ground with very careful planning. This is what truely started teaching me about orbital mechanics. I had to plan my own rendezvous. I had to know how to adjust orbits. I had to learn a ton of new terminology, because the instruments didn't dumb it down for me at all. But there were still instruments... and a basic, but functional autopilot. And it was somewhat forgiving of mistakes.

I can honestly say, Kerbal Space Program in it's early form... and even to an extent, today(although the map view and things like mech jeb have made a lot of the older problems a lot easier) is the toughest space sim to get a handle on, I've ever come across. It's also the one, because of that difficulty, and despite the slight simplicity and gameyness, that has ended up teaching me the most about space flight, orbital mechanics, even basic math. I'd been taught trigonometry in school, but I'd never had a reason to learn it until KSP. (And I still don't know it, like, off the top of my head, but I can claim to have actually used it now). It requires a careful touch to just hold the rocket together sometimes. It requires careful planning to get where you want to go, even it that's just into orbit. And probably toughest of all, it requires careful design, so your rocket DOESN'T fall apart and you still have enough fuel and thrust to get where you're going.

Also a set of working parachutes for the end never hurts.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile

I love it, i'm still at school but i'm looking to into an Aerospace engineering degree when i've finished here, so I guess in a way KSP is 'getting me started' :p
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

The new version of KSP, 0.17.01, has been released!

Also, version 0.18 is on the horizon, new features: docking, rivers on Kerbin, dwarf planets. The atmosphere on Moho will be removed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:12:27 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

i wonder if there will be true space stations...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 848