Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487823 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hope they get orbital maneuvrers planning before docking, because rendevouz are just a pita done by hand

Also, soi change orbital display badly needs fixing.

Have you tried messing around with that one setting that changes how soi change is displayed? I forget what it is called but it is in your config file. There are two settings right next to eachother with similar names, one is set to 0 and one is set to 1. The first one changes how osi change is displayed (I think 3 is the best) the other changes how many soi changes are displayed... great for setting up sling shots (that is an assumption, I have no idea how to slingshot).

Also the protractor plug in is good for setting up rendezvouses. It gives you a degree of separation between your position and the planet/moons position. I have found that when that indication is at 30 degrees an full power burn on my ship will almost always get me to Minus. Then I just have to adjust my inclination.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I hope they get orbital maneuvrers planning before docking, because rendevouz are just a pita done by hand

Also, soi change orbital display badly needs fixing.

Have you tried messing around with that one setting that changes how soi change is displayed? I forget what it is called but it is in your config file. There are two settings right next to eachother with similar names, one is set to 0 and one is set to 1. The first one changes how osi change is displayed (I think 3 is the best) the other changes how many soi changes are displayed... great for setting up sling shots (that is an assumption, I have no idea how to slingshot).

Also the protractor plug in is good for setting up rendezvouses. It gives you a degree of separation between your position and the planet/moons position. I have found that when that indication is at 30 degrees an full power burn on my ship will almost always get me to Minus. Then I just have to adjust my inclination.
Conedraw something something.
I'd suggest mode as three.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Mode 2 is the best, but the problem is that it is inaccurate and it doesn't get better just by changing drawing mode :P

Mode 2 fyi shows the path relative to the relative body; so the line is not contiguous but at least you can zoom on the planet/moon of your next soi, zoom in and have a close look.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mode 2 fyi shows the path relative to the relative body; so the line is not contiguous but at least you can zoom on the planet/moon of your next soi, zoom in and have a close look.
Could you explain what this means a bit better? I really don't get it.
All of the modes show your path relative to the body you're orbiting.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

My latest almost-spaceplane.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This one is different than my previous failures, in that it actually can get into orbit by replacing the radial engines with the aerospike one, but that involves ripping the tail off to have a place to put the engine -- which is unfortunate. Still, I'm quite pleased.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is drawn around where the body is *now* not at where it will be in the future, meaning you can center the camera around the body and the path will be there

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is drawn around where the body is *now* not at where it will be in the future, meaning you can center the camera around the body and the path will be there
Isn't that the default mode, 1?
2 shows a path like 1, except the escapes are matched up rather than the intercepts.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

turns out you're right, I'm using mode 0  ::)

here a screenshot

see? if I center the canera on moon I can zoom in and see the path nicely, without having to fight the camera controls

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

YESS! I managed to get to the mun with free demo stock parts!
Landing at 350m/s isn't very effective thought ::)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, entering Laythes atmosphere at 4600m/s on an almost vertical trajectory isn't a good idea. Luckily I quick saved a little ways (but not far enough to be really safe, unfortunately) out last night, although thrusting to slow myself down was ineffective, this time i'm just going to try enter at a shallower angle, and then maybe I can fly on it.

edit:

It actually handles about the same as it does on Kerbin, suprisingly. On balance.... bring more lift.

edit: nope, can't land it. We will have to go back in the future.. with bigger wings and stuff.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:56:10 pm by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I decided to try and make a SSTO space plane with more payload by duplicating the existing design's components, which, after a bit of tweaking, gives this.

Looks ugly, probably has a little to little lift, but it gets the job done. 3 RCS tanks of payload to a 70km orbit. Just barely lands.
I should probably teak the design up a bit. For example, would the weight reduction of getting rid of one engine during the final boosting stage make up for the fact that it would spend longer in the mid atmosphere, and so on. Questions, so many questions.
Magma is overrated.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Am I the only one who doesn't like that those flat rectangle panels that you fit wings onto aren't actually flat?

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

do i want to know what happened on the mun there?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

do i want to know what happened on the mun there?

Air is for the weak.

Also, Am I the only one who thinks the Kerbals look like little plush zombies?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gravity turning is not more efficient in KSP but it gives bonus realism points.

Considering max speed in lower atmosphere, we have found with tests to be about 200m/s.
Just because MechJeb goes to 100 m/s does not mean that is most efficient.(I consider mechjeb cheating anyways)

I'd recommend doing 2 test with the same rocket, one going at 100 m/s and one going 200 m/s in the lower atmosphere.
I disagree, "gravity turning" is actually benificial due to 1. oberth effect 2. centripetal force acting erlier thus , less energy lost from gravitational pull.

Actually let's do a challenge KSP 0.17

Small command pod (mk1)
4x FL-T400 fuel tank
LVT30 engine

How much fuel can you get into orbit (above 70km)
My first attempt, 16,8L of fuel left, can you do better with your ascent profile ?

My best result yet was with a full throttle profile, with 7L left at a 70k*150k orbit.

Going at 200m/s then throttling down to maintain speed yielded slightly less, about 3L.

Going at 100m/s as per your suggestion didn't get into orbit, only 70k*35k.

All attempts have been made with turning the craft slowly.

I think this rocket is just not powerful enough to require a throttle down. If we added boosters, we would need to throttle it though.
this is very much like a test I did earlier, where throttling down does not help on this type of craft.

Did you use Mechjeb on the 16L attempt?
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 848