Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488362 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1860 on: September 11, 2012, 07:37:26 pm »

So, how the hell do you make a spaceplane?
1: Obtain parts
2: Put them together in ways that look about right
3: Lots of trial and error and deaths
4: Success.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1861 on: September 11, 2012, 07:39:47 pm »

So, how the hell do you make a spaceplane?

Depends on your definition of space plane?

Most people seem to just call a normal atmospheric plane a "Space plane,"  I usually reserve the definition for a horizontal launched plane that can boost itself into orbit.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:09:28 am by LoSboccacc »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1863 on: September 12, 2012, 02:47:05 am »

I always thought Soviet N1 rocket was way better looking than anything NASA ever came up with and it's also most badass rocket ever build.

This game looks like fun. I'll try it, thanks.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: September 12, 2012, 03:04:59 am »

Yeah... all true... except the N1 never worked. :P

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: September 12, 2012, 04:30:54 am »

It would have worked though :P

I'm betting on release next week. 3? new planets, 8? new moons? going to be epic.
Magma is overrated.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: September 12, 2012, 05:01:25 am »

4 failed launches including one that destroyed the launch pad and caused the largest non-nuclear explosion ever?

Their attempt to dismantle the remaining rockets and hide the parts as buildings to cover-up the fact that the program ever existed?

Yeah, it would have worked... eventually... with enough redesigns...

I will admit the US had quite a bit of luck on their side up through the Apollo program, not counting 1 and 13, although 13 still got very lucky. The N1 just had too many problems to work as it was, even with all the luck in the world.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: September 12, 2012, 05:18:47 am »

IMO the Soyuz rockets looks way better than the N1,
They look like a bottle rockets with firecrackers on the sides: awesome :)

that said, back to the game:
I think they should do some work(in the far future) on making long slender rockets better, since right now, that's kind of the worst design possible. This might be due to the lack of proper air resistance calculations.
I'd love to not have my rockets look like a thick cylinder.

But oh man, so pumped for the next update, whenever it arrives. The last update was kinda gimmicky(But added very important assets for later).
We should have Race to see who gets to the new planets first, and the grand price to the one who visits all the planets first.
And Uber Mega price to that one guy that somehow manages to land on all the planets and moons with a single rocket.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1868 on: September 12, 2012, 05:21:53 am »

Oh, I never said N1 was the most badass working rocket.

On the contrary. Exploding all over the place makes it even more awesome.

Jokes aside, I just really like the N1 design.
Hope I can make a 30-trusters-powered-first-stage-and-then-some rocket in this game too. I'm downloading demo now.

edit: oh yes, soyuz are classic to. But still like the N1 more because it just feels even more different.

Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: September 12, 2012, 06:14:49 am »

The thirty thruster thingy was what prevented it from working. Getting 30 different thrusters to work in Unison is rather hard.

Also, the N1 explosion pretty much killed of the Sovjet spaceprogram. Quite a few important scientists died in the explosion.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:08 am »

I do think that was less of a problem than A: the testing and reliability of some of the hardware. (A lot of it had to do with faulty pumps which were going to be fixed on later rockets if it'd continued. and B: The inability of the rocket to compensate for loss of various engines. Which was a harder problem, but probably could have been fixed with drastic redesigns of either the engines or the steering systems. (They were working hard on a redesign of the steering systems, but again, the program was cut short.)

Pogo-ing(Jerky acceleration causing fuel slosh and pressure change which could self-perpetuate and if meeting the right frequency cause catastrophic failure.) change was also a problem, but tended to be a problem for Saturn rockets as well. I believe we've pretty much got that sorted out these days though, so I don't think that would have been anything that couldn't have been fixed.

Like I said, enough time and enough drastic redesign could have done it, but yes, scientists were killed, and most of this research was being done after Apollo 11, which meant that they were wasting time, lives and money on a race they already lost. Might have even continued if that explosion hadn't shown they had more to lose than a few rockets which were mostly already built.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: September 12, 2012, 02:38:35 pm »

Why are you using the large decouplers?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: September 12, 2012, 02:47:19 pm »

And why is everything boosters?
Boosters are basically the worst thing. And it's not really needed to have it so high up either. And the boosters could well blow each other up the way one is directly over the other.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: September 12, 2012, 02:52:17 pm »

Why are you using the large decouplers?
Because I didn't knew there were small ones. Derp.

Quote from: Graknorke
And why is everything boosters?
Boosters are basically the worst thing. And it's not really needed to have it so high up either. And the boosters could well blow each other up the way one is directly over the other.
There are two liquid engines, and these boosters actually go off seperate. When the first six pack is spent, they go off and the second one starts.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 848