Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488438 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile

I've been playing around with the demo version, but I keep getting random crashes on the map midway through munar missions.  Is this fixed in the full version?  I've also been getting some incredibly low frame rates in the ship builder, like less than 1 FPS whenever i build a three stage rocket.  Limiting lighting and shadows seems to have no effect, and my computer should have no trouble running this.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're on your own with the demo. It is so far behind the paid version.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There have been a great number of performance improvements and crash fixes since the demo, however i can't guarantee that the particular issues you have have been fixed, but its more than likely.
Magma is overrated.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I've also been getting some incredibly low frame rates in the ship builder, like less than 1 FPS whenever i build a three stage rocket.  Limiting lighting and shadows seems to have no effect, and my computer should have no trouble running this.

ship builder in the demo always did that, because of distance from camera stuff and details of components.

but!

first thing first: if you0re that confident, my guess is a proud i5 owner; if that's the case, check that ksp is running on the discrete graphics and not on the integrated one.

can't say how to do that, but I remember this kind of issues back then.

but!

not all is lost: there is a 'low poli mod' that greatly reduce the game requirement changing all standard parts with equal ones having lower resource usage.

sadly, after the forum changes, all links to that are broken.
you'll have too look around or ask in the modder forum for it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: the morituriner mk2 (click to show/hide)

the resolution should hint at the massive lag this ship causes:

Spoiler: liftoff baby! (click to show/hide)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've found that the updated version lags terribly as well.  Even rockets with barely enough reaction mass to manually fly a munar craft into orbit lag ridiculously.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile

Speaking of framerates, 0.14.4 was the best and runs okay on an old Nvidia 9400. Anything above(0.15 at least, haven't tried the latest version yet) is simply unplayable on that spec due to changes in the graphic engine.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had hoped that disabling the component-on-component collision in .16 would have allowed for ship of massive scale..

oh, well.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm still on 13.3 I thought it was the last free version ?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, but we bought the game :)

0.16 lags a lot less, because of much bigger components. you need less parts, so less lag.
Also the explosions has been reworked, and uses less resources.

also, get a better computer, i've had no troubles with lag(except maybe  bit of launch lag)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

meh, the better computer is not really a valid excuse.

I could run bad company on my previous-previous-computer and I'd say it did quite a lot more of physics AND graphics.

there is really no excuse for being laggy on the 8 core monster I have now.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Except only using a single core. Four cores is excessive. Eight cores is overkill for anything except professional 3D rendering and scientific simulations. Plus if you don't have an NVidia graphics card, you can't make use of hardware PhysX acceleration.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so when you say laggy, do you mean FPS drop? and how many FPS?
or do you mean the game becomes unplayable?

Yes way excuse for being laggy!
This is an alpha program, that's it's excuse for being laggy.
Notice the 0. infront of the version? means it's not done yet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except only using a single core. Four cores is excessive. Eight cores is overkill for anything except professional 3D rendering and scientific simulations. Plus if you don't have an NVidia graphics card, you can't make use of hardware PhysX acceleration.

it won't use nvidia it because of unity. also, being limited to one core only is precisely the problem. (but they actually use two)
thanks for the informed comment, anyway  :P

Spoiler: rant (click to show/hide)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've a pretty decent computer... KSP is pretty bad when it comes to FPS. When I get too much on screen or launch with more then just a few engines, my FPS plummets by a few dozen. Its not unplayable ever, just... not something you'd expect.

I wouldnt be bothered by it so much if there war some great visuals in the game, but its really just the simulations that are draining it so much. The game looks half a decade old. I'm hoping we start to see them spiffy it up a bit.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:35:44 am by Rex_Nex »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 848