Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488470 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I accidentally sent one of my guys floating towards the endless nothingness of outer space.. oops.  :-[
But hey, at least I finally got out of Kerbin's magnetic pull.

Related: I made some cheat fuel tanks and flew out of the solar system to see what happens. The answer: nothing interesting, just as in reality. I tried flying into the sun, as well, and succeeded, finding that, unlike reality, it doesn't do anything interesting.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mhh? Last I heard if you get to close to the sun your rocket/whatever explodes?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I was 800,000 at the closest, which, considering how close it apparently was, is pretty much inside. I'm on the free version, though, so that may not be implemented.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I was 800,000 at the closest, which, considering how close it apparently was, is pretty much inside. I'm on the free version, though, so that may not be implemented.
Oh yeah. In the free version, the sun is just a giant light source (which according to legend can slingshot you somehow).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Empirical evidence has shown me the opposite: going around the sun, using it as a gravity source, slowed me down. I was at my fastest at the periapsis.

Which doesn't make much sense, but oh well.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

After getting tired of gargantuan single-stage spaceplanes, I decided to dabble in the microscopic constructions of a quite different nature.

Behold, the Personal Escape&Reentry Device.

This small (0.81t) and almost reliable device can allow a single Kerbal to safely plummet to the surface of a planet with an atmosphere, and survive the landing.

Construction is easy, as the device is comprised of just seven parts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is the log of the latest, most complex test performed:

Be advised, there is a bug in 0.16 that will cause any Kerbal passing the 100km altitude mark while attached to a ladder to be violently kicked away from it. Don't send multiple Kerbals out on these devices if you're still above that altitude. It's quite possible to still catch up to and enter the pod up to a ~30km altitude.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile

After getting tired of gargantuan single-stage spaceplanes, I decided to dabble in the microscopic constructions of a quite different nature.

Behold, the Personal Escape&Reentry Device.
*snip*
Yeah, I saw this on the KSP forums; very clever. Just the sort of thing the Kerbal Science department would come up with.
On a less impressive note, I've finally had my first successful Mun mission! The first try was not so successful, with the crew being flung out of Mun orbit to constantly be damned to orbit the sun. Forever. Or, at least until we managed to cobble together a rescue team.
On a brighter note, here is the log from that mission:
Spoiler: BIG IMAGES (click to show/hide)
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

So.

I picked up the beta version about an hour ago.

My Kerbals are now in a semi-stable orbit around the sun.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I saw this on the KSP forums; very clever. Just the sort of thing the Kerbal Science department would come up with.

IMO the real project is just as kerbal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOOSE
As the article puts it, "falling from orbit protected by nothing more than a spacesuit and a bag of foam was unlikely to ever become a particularly safe—or enticing—maneuver".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Empirical evidence has shown me the opposite: going around the sun, using it as a gravity source, slowed me down. I was at my fastest at the periapsis.

Which doesn't make much sense, but oh well.
First of all, you always go faster at the periapsis; that's how orbits work.

Secondly, you can use the sun to magic-slingshot yourself to extremely high velocities in the old versions. However, this requires stopping nearly all non-vertical velocity, in order for the craft to fall directly into the sun's center. As you approach, your speed rapidly increases, and due to the way Euler Integration* works, the extraordinary velocity combined with the extraordinary acceleration means you exit with a much larger velocity then you entered with; enough to throw you from the system in seconds in some cases. (see also these posts, where I first utilized this effect: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88632.msg2907369#msg2907369)

*that being the technical term for how position and velocity are updated in video games: p += v * dt and v += a * dt
When the change is very large per dt, inaccuracies become much worse. Due to moving faster on the outward path than inward (accelerated via gravity) there are less time steps in the path out from the sun than the path in, making the escape from the sun much more inaccurately calculated than the entrance, resulting in less speed being remove than was added on the way in, thus accelerating the craft massively.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:20:14 am by alway »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

wrong constant, m8.

Yeah I know, I were looking for the right words but they kept eluding me.
And it was late in the night whe I wrote that.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

I need to buy this version.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So...
(posted by a dev on the KSP forums)
Magma is overrated.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

Why is the sky red?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 848