Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484880 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

and there are definite problems with fine steering on this thing, which led to the whole machine tipping over and flying away as I tried to regain control.

If you're using a keyboard, hit caps lock to change the way the controls work.
It's more of a "not enough response, too much momentum" problem. Needs more rotation force. Lately, there's also the problem that its mere existence seems to go against the laws of physics. Anytime I try to spawn it, there's a 50% chance of its legs breaking and the whole thing blowing up (at 1 FPS), and 45% chance of it simply blowing up for no discernible reason (again, at 1 FPS). When it does spawn normally, there's a 75% chance of ridiculous slowdowns, to about 2 FPS. At other times, it operates normally, and smooth as can be, so it's not a mere "overcomplexity" problem. It doesn't have all that many parts, either, I think my Spaceboom 5 lunar rocket has more, and it never has these problems.

Here's the craft file, test it out and see if you have the same issues.

Here's one for Spaceboom 5 too, I think it's a great rocket in general.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The last ship I made exploded when I detached the SRB's. They hit the main engine and exploded it. Cry.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

The last ship I made exploded when I detached the SRB's. They hit the main engine and exploded it. CryLaugh.
FTFY.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile

This whole game reminds me of the hilarious catastrophe's when playing GMod's Spacebuild mode.

(Some broken links here, but most of it is still good).

http://stc-gmod.110mb.com/chronicles.php

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Any parts addons that are recomended and up to date with the latest version?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

mechjeb!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

Now that there's persistence, I'm going to create as large of a debris field as I can in a particular orbit... 25km above the Mun sounds good to me.
Then I'll go the other direction in a ship and see how quickly it gets destroyed.

Someone made a ship for this purpose, but I don't know if it can reach the Mun.

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I built a space station out of parts from various mods and had a go and placing it in orbit around Kerbal. After some !FUN! involving boosters and a lack of support struts SpaceStation1 (good name right? :P) is a success.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After strapping a few more rockets on (and countless explosive lift-offs) MoonBase1 is a go!
Loving this game already and there is so much more fun on the horizon. When they add support for real space stations this will be an instant buy from me. Judging by the recent plug-ins being developed the modding community for this game is going to come up with some really impressive additions while we are waiting for official updates.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Report on that giant flying mecha thing. I've finally solved its spontaneous explodification problem, and now I've resolved to try and land it. For now, parachute-assisted, because it's ridiculously hard to kill drift without electronic assistance.

Spoiler: Deploying parachutes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beginning deceleration (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ...one! (click to show/hide)
:D

I may have slightly cheated, in that the first attempt kinda fell over (I didn't cut thrust quickly enough... and I forgot the X key...), so I did another mission after revising some staging, but on the overall, SUCCESS!! :D Now I just need a booster pack to get it to the Mun.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:12:11 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

After Moslyp rockets (boosters only, also exploded a lot) and then Mosilus rockets (liquid rockets with boosters at the very start, very heavy), I call success in reaching 1 million kilometers with Marius-type rocket. History of projects time:

Marius-1 had tri-stack of liquid fuel rockets, 2 tanks high, and only two side boosters at the top of main rocket.
First rocket to get above 'dark-blue' atmosphere.

* Haspen discovers 'stability rules', auto-SAS button and reinforcing with metal rods.

Marius-2 was like above, just reinforced and with another 'level' of liquid fuel tanks.
Height reached: around 420.000 meters.

* Haspen discovers TOGGLE KEYS.

With above discovery, I managed to do a four-stack rocket, using normal decouplers on SAS module, instead of tricoupler with decoupler on top. That was Marius-3, and with careful toggle'ing of main rocket, it managed to get somehwere 710.000 meters.

I've noticed that there was empty space right below the SAS module-decoupler mechanism, so I stuffed booster under it. Lo and behold, so is Marius-4 created. And then, I've 'mastered' stage buttons, so the sequence was like this:
1.Main liquid quadruple-rocket stack.
2.Main rocket's side boosters.
3.Bottom booster.
4.Main rocket, with lot's of toggling (higher altitude = less fuel burn).

I was so happy when I reached 1.000.000+ meters with it <3!

Next stop: leaving the orbit. I'm going to either longify the quadruple stacks, or convert them into sextuple-stacks. For symmetry (oh gods I love symmetry), I would add another side booster at main rocket.

PS: I'm playing this game for ~6 hours or so, and I already love it! If only I could get the newest version...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:47:30 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

So now there's a heightmap of the Mun being worked on by at least 7 players. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=10324
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:50:30 am by Peewee »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Nice! Is there a monolith map too?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So.... how close is the Mun?

I've crashed into the Mun several times due to looking at my height meter and crashing into a mountain!
And i find it very difficult to actually see how close the surface is.

any tips on accurately determining how high above the moon surface you are?

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

Depends on where you land. I showed off a map in my last post, though it didn't actually have a guide to the colors. Hmm. The white 'hotspots' are up to around 3300m, while the darkest blue spots are closer to 100m or so.

As for tips: look at the horizon instead of straight down, using the navball to zero your horizontal velocity.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I managed to land on the Mun for my first time yesterday, very proud of myself. There is the slight issue of hitting the ground with too much horizontal momentum, causing the rocket to fall over and collapse, rendering the brave Kerbonauts stranded, but they seem happy enough about it. I do have a few questions, though.

• Is there any way to find out how much your craft weighs other than adding up the mass values for every individual part, manually?
  • Roughly how hard can you land on lander legs before they break and your ship explodes?
  • How do you get debris out of orbit, when there is no command capsule to take control of and end the flight?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 848