Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484581 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Heh. Keggle.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Anyone got some hints on how to leave the atmosphere?
I aways seem to crash the rocket because it starts tilting too much.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Anyone got some hints on how to leave the atmosphere?
I aways seem to crash the rocket because it starts tilting too much.

SAS is your friend.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

So stabilization, basically.
There are more or less three ways:
SAS is a gyroscope. It slows down tilting, pure and simple. Best when put near center of gravity. Also, you can turn it on or off.

Fins provide directional stability in atmosphere, which is fairly self-explanatory. Some of them can be used to maneuver as well.

ASAS uses the same buttons as SAS but is actually an autopilot: they use controllable fins, vectoring thrust engines (I think) and RCS (if RCS is on) to keep the rocket from turning. Don't have multiples, because they over-correct and do strange things. Things that will cause crashing. That said, having one is immensely helpful.

You can also theoretically provide stability by spinning, something I have very little experience in. :P
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:58:04 pm by Twi »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Spinning works on the same principle as a bicycle. As long as you're spinning on one axis, you stay stable on the other ones.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, keep your speed down in the lower atmosphere. anything over 100-ish m/s (depending upon rocket design) below about 4000 meters will make it hard to control.

You're pushing from the bottom of the rocket, generally. You have drag at the top, if the drag pressure exceeds what you're able to correct with via SAS, RCS, fins, or manual input, then the top of the rocket will want to end up behind the engines, which will put you into a difficult to control tumble. Keep your speed low when the atmosphere is thick, this will keep your drag low, and the rocket controllable. Extra parts can increase your control, but they're ultimately extra weight.

There is probably a balance between parts and speed you can figure out on your own, I wouldn't know the best combination. I just know I keep my speed between 60-80 m/s for the first minute or two of the launch and I stay in control with few or no extra parts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

The general idea is to have the rocket be wider at the bottom. This'll prevent it from tipping over due to drag. Look at my latest rig, for instance:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's perfectly stable, even after the booster stages accidentally rip the stabilizing fins off when decoupling. Speaking of which, I really should do something about that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It also appears you've got a dozen and a half or so of those thrust vectoring engines, and an ASAS, which also help a lot.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A dozen and a half is correct, but they are all boosters, first to go (they're mainly to keep as much control as possible on egress). The central column is standard thrusters, so there is only minimal steering, aided by the RCS ring up top. ASAS is a must for any rocket of a decent size anyway (not to mention lander modules), so all in all it's the shape itself that lets the rocket keep its balance the most. If it were much top-heavier, it'd topple in atmosphere, ASAS or no.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I never fly without an ASAS. Perhaps I'm just a noob, but it's very difficult for me to correct my path if things start to go wrong (in atmo, at least), so it's best to prevent things from going wrong in the first place.

I have made it to the Mun, but a proper orbit eludes me. The best I managed to do is crash and die on the munar surface. The worst is my previously-mentioned solar orbit.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, ASAS is crucial, whether you are a noob or not. The best place to put it is either on the lander stage, or directly under it, so that you have it for as long as possible. It helps immensely on lander stages, because you'll want very precise control for maneuvering, and ASAS will allow you that.

And speaking of going to the Mun:
Thankfully, despite taking 12 days longer than necessary, the crew returned to Kerbin safely. But the Lander didn't survive. Again.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:15:40 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's all about luck and/or timing.

Here's a very simple way to time your transmunar insertion: Get yourself into a parking orbit around Kerbin, orbiting eastward. Ideally it should be circular and just above 70k. Point your rocket in the direction of travel and watch the horizon. As soon as you see the Mun start to rise over the horizon, punch it. Cut thrust when your apoapsis is within 1k meters of Mun's orbit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's all about luck and/or timing.

Here's a very simple way to time your transmunar insertion: Get yourself into a parking orbit around Kerbin, orbiting eastward. Ideally it should be circular and just above 70k. Point your rocket in the direction of travel and watch the horizon. As soon as you see the Mun start to rise over the horizon, punch it. Cut thrust when your apoapsis is within 1k meters of Mun's orbit.
I'll try that when I next go to the Mun. In the meantime, I've set myself up a different pastime. The pastime is assembling a Space Station in orbit, or at least a mockup of one. Or at the very least get two vessels joined together. Naturally, this is impossible to do properly without docking, but what about sheer dwarven Kerbal ingenuity? Behold, the Flying Claw:
I have NO idea how I'll manage to catch the other ship (it's in a 65-85k orbit, going two point something km/sec on average), not to mention how, and whether or no the claw thing will even work, but I intend to find out. ;D

So far the biggest trouble has been keeping the fuel load balanced. I might forgo using the other side tank as a fuel source entirely, and just fit another claw to it, but I want to try something as nonconventional as possible.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Is it possible to land this without decoupling?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

My first instinct would be: No. You need more landing legs.

But I've never gotten to the moon myself, I always miss. :P
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 848