Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484907 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #990 on: September 17, 2011, 09:27:37 am »

look at this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't personally like this one, but shows off how you need to add more engine the more weight and stages you add.

Personally i actually think that's a pretty bad rocket. Too many engines. You have to remember that an engine and decoupler adds as much as a a full fuel tank. take for example the bottom two stages, boosters attached to engines with 2 tanks, then another set of engines with 2 tanks. just one set of engines and 5 tanks would weigh the same. Now, you need to lift those extra 3 empty tanks with you, however, it turns out that they weigh about an 1/8th of that. Since you get an entire extra tank out of it for no initial weight gain, and a small (0.9) weight penalty once your burning your last two sets of fuel tanks, its probably better to do that.

That rocket also has a crazy amout of SAS modules, though i suppose that it may have been made before the braces were added in, meaning it oscillated around a lot. Still, at 0.8 weight a unit... they can really, really add up.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:29:47 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 19, 2011, 01:52:19 am »

You're right and that monster is plain crazy. It just showed nicely the kind of increase in thrust you need as you add stages to lift the full stack of dead weights (the later stages)

I'm personally going with three stages right now. One to get out atmos, one for orbit injection and one for getting back home. (I'm preparing for the Mun :) )

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 25, 2011, 03:34:32 am »

Sorry to dig this up from the depths of the thread, but I just couldn't help myself.

The difference between Orbiter and this is basically the difference between making to-scale miniatures for architectural design and playing with LEGOs. Only the LEGOs have rocket fuel.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=2740.0;topicseen

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 03, 2011, 09:28:40 am »

orbital dynamics update (0.11) coming in a little while  :o

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 04, 2011, 01:24:35 pm »

Do want!

Hopefully you can pre plan your orbit and it will tell you what altitude and speed you need to hit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 04, 2011, 01:29:45 pm »

It's out, and you can simply see the orbit as it changes when you thrust.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 04, 2011, 01:33:53 pm »

Do want!

Hopefully you can pre plan your orbit and it will tell you what altitude and speed you need to hit.

there is a calculator app for that!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 04, 2011, 01:35:52 pm »

It's out, and you can simply see the orbit as it changes when you thrust.

Oh well, it is an awesome start.

Do want!

I'd like to see them built it. It will be fun when there is a "mission planning" stage.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 04, 2011, 01:42:57 pm »

The idea is that you won't have to switch back and forth to your browser while playing, and can see a real-time visual of your flightpath.  Besides, physics doesn't work exactly the same way in Kerbalverse, and the planet is a lot different.

Also, goddamn what is taking HarvesteR so long?  He said he was about to add (actually, return) the in-game orbit calculator like three months ago.  KSP is falling victim to that terrible foe of indie games - inexplicable development slowdowns.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 04, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »

it doesn't seem that slow comparing features added per release. it's probably a bit over hyped, however.

also, it looks like as if it's getting more toward an arcade game model than a simulator. not that I complain, I'm in for the fun, but I think lots of people will jump ship after the final game takes form.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: October 04, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »

it doesn't seem that slow comparing features added per release. it's probably a bit over hyped, however.

also, it looks like as if it's getting more toward an arcade game model than a simulator. not that I complain, I'm in for the fun, but I think lots of people will jump ship after the final game takes form.

I don't think they ever intended it to be a simulator. I think when there is more management to do on your space program and more reasons to build economically the game will get much more popular.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 04, 2011, 02:00:34 pm »

I don't think they ever intended it to be a simulator. I think when there is more management to do on your space program and more reasons to build economically the game will get much more popular.

sure, as the campaign mode develops, it will sure rise in popularity, but I was thinking about the early adopters coming from the orbiter community.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 04, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »

Well Orbiter is exactly what KSP is not. LEGOs with rocket fuel, people...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 04, 2011, 04:09:24 pm »

BrickMod looks great. Haven't played in a while but will try it out tonight.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 04, 2011, 04:30:46 pm »

BrickMod looks great. Haven't played in a while but will try it out tonight.

I concur! it's awesome! and it perfectly fits with the game theme. it still lacks some parts to be complete, also there will be some new component types added shortly for which none knows anything, but that is one of the funniest total conversion I've seen.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 848