Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485437 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #780 on: July 20, 2011, 07:50:15 pm »

Well, game physics are based on real physics.... Normally...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 20, 2011, 07:54:08 pm »

Well, look at that conversation I stirred up!

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 20, 2011, 08:49:55 pm »

Quoting myself for emphasis:

"Escape velocity" is a bit of a misnomer. You'll never fully escape the gravitational influence of the planet, but it's certainly possible to have enough velocity that you'll never return to it, regardless of what other massive objects there are in the system.

The work done by the planet on the spacecraft is the path integral of the force. The force field is constant with respect to the planet. Thus, the total energy loss due to gravity can be calculated for any given path. Assume an arbitrary path moving away from the planet, starting at the surface and ending at mathematical infinity. If the kinetic energy of the craft is greater than the energy lost following this path, then the craft will maintain positive kinetic energy, and thus positive velocity. It will never return to the planet. The point: No other massive bodies are required to "escape" (in the spatial sense) from a planet.

This is the two-body problem. It's all Newtonian physics. There's ~300 years of science backing it up. If KSP is using a non-Newtonian model, then that's another matter.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 20, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »

But Leytic, that quote is wrong. You need to have acceleration to counter the acceleration of gravity, hands down. As long as you aren't burning fuel, you will get brought back. End of story.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 20, 2011, 09:47:34 pm »

Escape velocity isn't about actually escaping the gravitational field of a planet- it is about going so fast that the rate at which gravity's strength is decreasing exceeds the rate at which gravity is pulling you towards a given body. For example, at one tick your speed will be reduced by .1, then by .01, then by .001, on into infinity. If you are already going 2001 m/s when this is happening, then effectively your speed will never fall below 2000.

Courtesy of the Kerbal Wiki.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 20, 2011, 10:41:23 pm »

Something I did while trying to get into Orbit seems to have removed the planet's atmosphere. I'm now landed and looking straight into space from 0 meters above sea level.

This is Awesome
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 20, 2011, 11:03:32 pm »

Something I did while trying to get into Orbit seems to have removed the planet's atmosphere. I'm now landed and looking straight into space from 0 meters above sea level.

This is Awesome
Awesome?!? You just exterminated an entire early space-faring level civilization. Awesome doesn't even begin to describe it. :P

As for escape velocity, it is best merely to leave the descriptions to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity
Though monk's description is pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:08:24 pm by alway »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 21, 2011, 03:14:12 pm »

Is this any sort of acheivement? Just got this game, so I dont know if this is common to get this high.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update: Started losing altitude at 1,200 km up. I'm actually quite disappointed; faulty physics at work there. The gravitational pull on something 1,200 km from the planet would be way too weak to pull me down this quick.
I think I am getting better at flinging myself from Kearth!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you think I let the parachute go a bit too early?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 21, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »

Thats pretty much the only downside with this game so far - ok so I can establish some impressive orbits, and land in a variety of fun methods, but theres not really anything else to do up there yet.
This is a blank sig.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 21, 2011, 03:29:14 pm »

The next logical step in development (now that most of the kinks in regular rocket science have been worked out) would be adding a/the Moon(s). Maybe some dust/asteroid rings to go with it/them. This would give players something to do other than finding increasingly intricate ways of going around in circles.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:35 pm »

The next logical step in development (now that most of the kinks in regular rocket science have been worked out) would be adding a/the Moon(s). Maybe some dust/asteroid rings to go with it/them. This would give players something to do other than finding increasingly intricate ways of going around in circles.

That's why I stopped playing till they add moons/a point. I orbited for 17 hours, and unless you want freaky orbits, game over at that point.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 21, 2011, 09:30:25 pm »

I've got no idea what their physics model is like, however going from a single mass to two or more is a very large step in complexity. It might take a while though. (however... when i can fly to a moon space station... and back... well christ that'd be epic wouldn't it)
Magma is overrated.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 21, 2011, 10:08:28 pm »

HarvesteR has said he's pretty set on giving planet Kerbal (he doesn't like the name "Kearth", pity) at least two moons, probably moonlet asteroids, and maybe even moonlets orbiting in the moon(s).  Just not clear when, since apparently there's a lot of engine work to do.  He's been pretty mum on whether the 0.9 update in August will include a moon to shoot for.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 23, 2011, 03:40:10 pm »

So are there any payload mods out there? I wanna put something in orbit and return, so i can look at it from the surface :P
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 23, 2011, 03:45:21 pm »

Well, you COULD try just dropping large fuel tanks, but I still doubt you'll see them.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 848