Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485518 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #735 on: July 19, 2011, 11:15:47 am »

18 minutes into an attempted orbit- 2000m/s and falling at 600k meters and rising. I sure hope this rocket comes back.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #736 on: July 19, 2011, 11:34:36 am »

I think you may have gone a bit too much up and not quite enough sideways.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 19, 2011, 11:40:48 am »

How the heck did you get to orbit? Mine just drop like rocks.

Getting into orbit and flinging yourself into space are two different things, but achieved in similar ways. You go straight up for a while, then you go up at an angle for a while longer. Once you break about 40km, you've made it.

You'll need to keep your green circle (actually direction of travel) out of the red area.

My favorite design so far is a three stage system. The top stage (the one connected to my command module) is just 3 fuel tanks and a liquid fuel engine. Below that is a tri-coupler with 2 fuel tanks each and a liquid engine. Below that is 3 more SRBs. 3 more SRBs are attached to the liquid fuel cans.

All 6 SRBs are in the first stage, and their burn gets me up high enough to lean over. When it comes time to run your liquid fuel motors, run them at 75% or 80%. You should have no problem flinging yourself into space.

18 minutes into an attempted orbit- 2000m/s and falling at 600k meters and rising. I sure hope this rocket comes back.

I try to hit 50km up going about 2300.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 19, 2011, 12:01:16 pm »

Latest attempt has a good chance- current altitude is 80km (and, unfortunately, rising) and speed is 2300 and not budging an inch. Better news, I've still got half a tank for maneuvers and eventual de-orbit.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 19, 2011, 12:23:16 pm »

HTML Kerbal orbital calculator.  Pretty handy - if you want a circular orbit, just type in equal distances.

Experimental build of 0.8.5 X2 is out, seems pretty stable so far, and HarvesteR thinks he fixed a performance bug for rockets with large numbers of fuel tanks.

Thanks, this is really useful. According to that, I AM in a stable orbit, but its rather ugly- Periapsis is only 48km up, while Apoapsis is ~100km. On the plus side, I've spent my first "night" in KSP.

Spoiler: Sunrise! Large image (click to show/hide)

I don't have much fuel left for more maneuvering, so we'll see how this goes.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 19, 2011, 12:36:54 pm »

Getting into orbit and flinging yourself into space are two different things, but achieved in similar ways. You go straight up for a while, then you go up at an angle for a while longer. Once you break about 40km, you've made it.

You'll need to keep your green circle (actually direction of travel) out of the red area.
All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss. :)  Yeah, getting that sideways velocity is the key, if you just go straight up, you'll just come back down again (or not if you're moving faster than the escape velocity), you need to get enough velocity along the ground so that you're moving fast enough that when you fall, you're going fast enough to the side that you miss hitting the planet. If you want a nice circular orbit, I just cut my engines and drifted up until my vertical velocity was about zero, and then aimed horizontal and blasted my way up to orbital speeds.

This is also really helpful: https://gist.github.com/1073201  It's a table of the velocity you need for a circular orbit, or escape velocity, at a certain distance above the planet. :)

Edit: Ah, nice, there's a calculator. :)
My favorite design so far is a three stage system. The top stage (the one connected to my command module) is just 3 fuel tanks and a liquid fuel engine. Below that is a tri-coupler with 2 fuel tanks each and a liquid engine. Below that is 3 more SRBs. 3 more SRBs are attached to the liquid fuel cans.

All 6 SRBs are in the first stage, and their burn gets me up high enough to lean over. When it comes time to run your liquid fuel motors, run them at 75% or 80%. You should have no problem flinging yourself into space.
Yeah, I used something similar in my orbital rocket, although I had one less fuel tank on the top, and I had 9 SRBs attached around the bottom 3 liquid engines.  And I had the stages set up, so all the SRBs and the bottom liquid rockets were all firing on takeoff, and then I could just jettison the SRBs when they ran out of fuel. :)  I got into a nice orbit between 275-325km.  And I even had 2/3 of a tank a fuel left over, which was enough to de-orbit and land back on the surface.  (where I inexplicably exploded on contact with my parachute open, while trying to land in the middle of an ocean. :))

Check the chart linked in this post, at 600km, escape velocity is 2425m/s  So you should end up coming back eventually. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:46:01 pm by Soralin »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 19, 2011, 12:52:08 pm »

After making 2 full revolutions, I am attempting to land. Unfortunately, I accidentally deployed my parachute while still at 60km up. Fortunately, for a piece of canvas found on the side of the road this chute is surprisingly durable.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 19, 2011, 12:55:06 pm »

How the heck did you get to orbit? Mine just drop like rocks.
My Guide to getting into orbit
1. Get to 30km up with decent speed, cut engines
2. Wait until the vertical thrust meter gets to a horizontal 0.
3. Speed up until 2330 m/s while staying above 35km.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 19, 2011, 02:06:32 pm »

Yeah, I used something similar in my orbital rocket, although I had one less fuel tank on the top, and I had 9 SRBs attached around the bottom 3 liquid engines.  And I had the stages set up, so all the SRBs and the bottom liquid rockets were all firing on takeoff, and then I could just jettison the SRBs when they ran out of fuel. :)  I got into a nice orbit between 275-325km.  And I even had 2/3 of a tank a fuel left over, which was enough to de-orbit and land back on the surface.  (where I inexplicably exploded on contact with my parachute open, while trying to land in the middle of an ocean. :))

How do you manage to drop your SRBs whith the liquid fuel still going? I have tried it, SRB and liquid fuel on the same stage, then the next stage is release of the SRB but something always goes wrong.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 19, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »

What always goes wrong? I've done that before just fine. If you think the fact that liquid fuel engines are still going is the problem, you could throttle them off before dropping the SRBs and then back on again afterwards.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 19, 2011, 02:52:25 pm »

Yeah, I used something similar in my orbital rocket, although I had one less fuel tank on the top, and I had 9 SRBs attached around the bottom 3 liquid engines.  And I had the stages set up, so all the SRBs and the bottom liquid rockets were all firing on takeoff, and then I could just jettison the SRBs when they ran out of fuel. :)  I got into a nice orbit between 275-325km.  And I even had 2/3 of a tank a fuel left over, which was enough to de-orbit and land back on the surface.  (where I inexplicably exploded on contact with my parachute open, while trying to land in the middle of an ocean.

How do you manage to drop your SRBs whith the liquid fuel still going? I have tried it, SRB and liquid fuel on the same stage, then the next stage is release of the SRB but something always goes wrong.
Are you attaching the SRB's with radial decouplers? If not, then that's your problem. You need to make a stage for the SRBs then drag the liquid fuel engines to that stage in the stage management window.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 19, 2011, 03:02:52 pm »

I was able to achieve 450km with vanilla parts before crashing down near where I launched in an almost complete orbit.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 19, 2011, 03:04:37 pm »

Yeah, I used something similar in my orbital rocket, although I had one less fuel tank on the top, and I had 9 SRBs attached around the bottom 3 liquid engines.  And I had the stages set up, so all the SRBs and the bottom liquid rockets were all firing on takeoff, and then I could just jettison the SRBs when they ran out of fuel. :)  I got into a nice orbit between 275-325km.  And I even had 2/3 of a tank a fuel left over, which was enough to de-orbit and land back on the surface.  (where I inexplicably exploded on contact with my parachute open, while trying to land in the middle of an ocean.

Are you attaching the SRB's with radial decouplers? If not, then that's your problem. You need to make a stage for the SRBs then drag the liquid fuel engines to that stage in the stage management window.

I always use side coupler things, they never seem to work but I can't remember the exact problem. I think it was that the liquid engines would stop running once their stage was no longer active.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 19, 2011, 03:16:49 pm »

I can say for sure that they don't.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 19, 2011, 04:36:47 pm »

There's probably something wrong with your stages or how you placed the decouplers and things. I regularly llift off with SRB's and LFR's going and detatching the SRB's when they run out, continuing to burn the LFR's.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 848