Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485624 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #570 on: July 15, 2011, 03:09:50 pm »

Aaaaand "steampunk" rears its horribly overused and balding head again.  It has its times and places.  Hilarious recreations of Khrushchev-era spaceflight is not one of them.

The Kerbal Space Program is already basically "rocketpunk", to possibly coin a term.  The theme is plenty good as it is, be happy with it.

I mostly agree, but I still think launching a rocket from a blimp would be awesome.

Steampunk is cool, but you are right, it has no place in a space program.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 15, 2011, 03:17:51 pm »

Hmm, rockets launching from the upper atmosphere from aircraft. We're going to need a bigger plane.

My new personal best for vertical speed on vanilla KSP, 5727m/s. It was a proof of concept for an even larger version. This one took off with 13 3-tanked LFR, the larger version should have 19 3-tanked LFR's and probably 12 SRB's.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 15, 2011, 03:25:35 pm »

Even the most ridiculous deep-space adventures posted on here have only gone about 1/3 the distance required to get to our moon, so yes, it will be fun  :D

Any moon added the the game probably won't be that far out, but maybe. We'll definately need some kind of time-manipulator first.

But Kerbal's radius is 1/11th the one of the Earth. If Karbal's moon is also 1/11th of our moon, then its distance would be 1/11th of the Earth-Moon distance.
So people have already made it 3 times further than  the Kerbalian moon. If my logic isn't horrible messed up that is.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 15, 2011, 03:26:53 pm »

Hmm, rockets launching from the upper atmosphere from aircraft. We're going to need a bigger plane.

Isn't the point of stages being a rocket designed to let another rocket take off from a higher altitude?
Nothing important here, move along.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 15, 2011, 03:31:54 pm »

Am i the only one who cannot use radial decouplers?
I mean, nothing attaches to them, that is quite shit.

Also cant wait till theres planets and the sun is actually a sun so i can burn myself to death crashing into it..
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 15, 2011, 03:33:21 pm »

I mean, nothing attaches to them, that is quite shit.
Only things that would logically attach to them attach to them.
That means solid boosters.
What, you expected to be able to attach an SAS module sideways on the rocket?  Because that would work super well :V

EDIT: That's mainly because you can only radially mount stuff that's allowed to be surface-mounted, and that's only the solid boosters.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 15, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »

I leave for a week and 42 pages. wow.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 15, 2011, 04:17:44 pm »

Isn't the point of stages being a rocket designed to let another rocket take off from a higher altitude?

Well that would depend on what you're launching. If rockets become more dangerous, exploding from poor engineering and maintenance you could opt for a safer alternative in a plane-launch.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 15, 2011, 04:20:22 pm »

'Plane launch'?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 15, 2011, 04:43:41 pm »

'Plane launch'?

It works in real life.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 15, 2011, 04:47:00 pm »

Space-planes are the idea that you can fly a plane, and just keep going up, rather than staying at X altitude. They go up to space like a plane, and land like a plane. The Space shuttle is the bastard child of a Space-plane and a rocket.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 15, 2011, 05:02:08 pm »

Actually a better reason to use planes is cost. I doubt spent boosters will be recovered and reused like real ones, a plane you can use over and over and all you spend is fuel.

But really after thinking about it more, rocket carrying planes probably won't happen. You can't control a plane and a rocket you just launched at the same time.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 15, 2011, 05:10:13 pm »

Actually a better reason to use planes is cost. I doubt spent boosters will be recovered and reused like real ones, a plane you can use over and over and all you spend is fuel.

But really after thinking about it more, rocket carrying planes probably won't happen. You can't control a plane and a rocket you just launched at the same time.

Actually, HarvesteR has stated that in the future (once we're actually limited to a budget for ship construction), boosters that are parachuted back down to the surface will be able to be reused.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 15, 2011, 05:15:42 pm »

No, that's not quite true.  Making something reusable costs a lot of money in terms of maintenance and general durability.  This is why the government is forcing NASA to abandon the shuttle program.  It's potentially less costly to use single-use equipment because it's so crazy much cheaper to produce and maintain.

And we do have rocket carrying planes in the real world.  JATO and RATO aircraft use jets or rockets to take off faster (such as from a short runway).  Sure, they don't fly in space, but scramjets come darn close and I'm pretty sure SpaceX is actually working on a space plane.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 15, 2011, 05:54:11 pm »

I'd feel sorry for the poor Kerbal pilots who would lift our monstrosities into the air. Odds are they would either get consumed in the flames behind our mighty 15-SB bearing rockets, or just get consumed in the fireball as it explodes immediately upon ignition.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 848