Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485529 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #450 on: July 13, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »

I always start my constructions with one as the first item after the radial decoupler I start with on my rocket. It has never failed to keep my crew safe unless the rest of the rocket is inherently unstable. Even then, though, it's kept my command module the half-inch away from the exploding rocket to increase survival odds by at least 10%. Unlike most people, I try to keep my boys alive. Sometimes.
Nothing important here, move along.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 13, 2011, 09:44:00 pm »

That feel when you have an orbit with a periapsis of 36km and no fuel.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 13, 2011, 09:57:48 pm »

That's nothing compared to having no orbit, no fuel, and realizing you forgot to add a parachute. : ( Happened my first real attempt at orbiting.
Nothing important here, move along.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #453 on: July 13, 2011, 11:00:52 pm »

Aww durn. Bay 12 is always ahead of the curve. I was so excited to be bringing this new, fun game to you guys.

Jeez are you ever better at it than I am.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 13, 2011, 11:28:17 pm »

Aww durn. Bay 12 is always ahead of the curve. I was so excited to be bringing this new, fun game to you guys.

Jeez are you ever better at it than I am.

When I saw this on bay12, I nearly died. Rockets :D

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 13, 2011, 11:29:13 pm »

0.8.4 has been released, it's just bugfixes though (as was 0.8.3 in case you missed it.). Their site seems down for me so I'm posting the mediafire link
http://www.mediafire.com/?9dz3sdjwd288w23

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 13, 2011, 11:33:17 pm »

I think there is a bug in 0.8.3 where once you get past 10000km you don't slow down. That might have been intended. Someone might want to check but there might be a problem with balance too. Right now I'm at nearly 20000 km traveling at 18341.6 m/s. I was at 36000 something km before but I changed to one screen to watch a movie and it froze.  :'(
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 14, 2011, 01:19:04 am »

Testing with escape rockets shows kerbals can survive forces in excess of 100g. They may yet be capable of interstellar space travel.  :P

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 14, 2011, 01:52:26 am »

I think there is a bug in 0.8.3 where once you get past 10000km you don't slow down. That might have been intended. Someone might want to check but there might be a problem with balance too. Right now I'm at nearly 20000 km traveling at 18341.6 m/s. I was at 36000 something km before but I changed to one screen to watch a movie and it froze.  :'(
That sounds intentional to me. There has to be some point at which you escape the kearth's gravity.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 14, 2011, 01:55:10 am »

I dunno. Considering that there's need to orbit above that altitude...

But anyway, are you sure you weren't just being confused by being out of air resistance? Last I checked, while gravity has little effect at that altitude, it's still there.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 14, 2011, 03:19:24 am »

I figured out artificial gravity, pretty useful on thoose very high orbits/escapes. Put your ship in a vertical(relative to the ship) roation as in - / | \ - / | no as in - - - -, use SAS's to drecrease the G force to something comfortable within the green marking.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 14, 2011, 03:24:07 am »

That sounds intentional to me. There has to be some point at which you escape the kearth's gravity.

There's no such thing as escaping gravity (at least not in a system with only one bodily object). Gravity's pretty much the only force with no upper limit on it's distance.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 14, 2011, 03:36:39 am »

There's no such thing as escaping gravity (at least not in a system with only one bodily object). Gravity's pretty much the only force with no upper limit on it's distance.
Yeah, but that's only because there's only one celestial body currently coded into the game. Seems like an abstraction to me.
I figured out artificial gravity, pretty useful on thoose very high orbits/escapes. Put your ship in a vertical(relative to the ship) roation as in - / | \ - / | no as in - - - -, use SAS's to drecrease the G force to something comfortable within the green marking.
Personally I find that the way to create the most gforce is to stabilize the rocket, and then spin horizontally with SAS off. Managed to get some 70 g's before it became apparent that kerbals are immune to gforce.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 14, 2011, 03:45:28 am »

You're forgetting magnetism, RF. Gravity is pretty much the weakest force in existence.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 14, 2011, 04:04:32 am »

You're forgetting magnetism, RF. Gravity is pretty much the weakest force in existence.

Weakest, sure, but doesn't magnetism have a limitting distance on how far it can act? Gravity does not.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 848