Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485432 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #390 on: July 13, 2011, 02:01:44 pm »

This game went from insanely hard to almost easy when I discovered that at least half of your ship should be SAS "{

max height: 403 000 meters. Now I'm gonna try some of the extra parts from the first page

SAS is great for controlling the SRBs. When you add SRBs you need to add SAS. Therefore, the best place for SAS is on top of the SRB. When the SRB has burnt out the SAS is no longer required and both are jettisioned.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 13, 2011, 02:13:38 pm »

I love this game. So much. I just tried to make a ship that would spin the fastest. It was glorious.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #392 on: July 13, 2011, 02:20:07 pm »

I love to make spinning ships, and they work surprisingly well...

The basic design is a central column, then add a layer of 3 or 4 boosters around the central column, maybe do this again so that you have a cross, and then ... well, I guess, kind of add more boosters to make a swastika shape. Worst way to describe it, but there you go.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 13, 2011, 03:07:06 pm »

I just got a max G of 63 during an attempted orbit. 0.o How does one even manage that?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 13, 2011, 03:08:00 pm »

Orbit? You mean there is more you can do besides go up, go down and explode?

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 13, 2011, 03:17:56 pm »

A full vanilla design that works!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have made that exact same design.

Some pages ago I posted the same design but with the boosters on the bottom stage

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 13, 2011, 03:18:26 pm »

WOoo i managed my first orbit !

it was an ellipse orbit, not a circular one, but i'm still proud of my achievement ^^

my design was this :

the farthest i got from the planet was 1 357 km, with a speed of 968.3 m/s (slowest), and then I started accelerating towards the planet, which i grazed as low as 87 550 m, at a speed of 2757.3 m/s (fastest). It was a stable orbit, because i waited long enough to record the same highest altitude/slowest speed a second time.

edit : i also noticed that i could achieve almost 100G by simply spinning my rocket in space with one of the ADSW controls. I wonder if a longer rocket could achieve more Gs
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:21:31 pm by Sirian »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 13, 2011, 03:20:52 pm »

I just got a max G of 63 during an attempted orbit. 0.o How does one even manage that?
I don't know how you did that, but 63 G is probably lethal. At the very least your kerbalites should have been knocked out and turned blind.

I love this game. So much. I just tried to make a ship that would spin the fastest. It was glorious.
With the things we subject our pilots to, it surprises me nobody has made a gyroscopic stabilizer part yet. Who needs SAS if you can just spin your ship to stability?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:23:42 pm by Virex »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 13, 2011, 03:35:08 pm »

With the things we subject our pilots to, it surprises me nobody has made a gyroscopic stabilizer part yet. Who needs SAS if you can just spin your ship to stability?

Can't you just press Q or E for a while ? That's what i do sometimes, but it makes using the other controls almost impossible.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 13, 2011, 03:46:22 pm »

This design has its own natural spin that keeps it pointing up. It's the quick a dirty way of avoiding overly complex subsystems. Of course a bit of wind could wreck everything but that's half the fun.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:50:56 pm by BigD145 »

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 13, 2011, 03:49:41 pm »

Has anyone considered using the zero weight bug to get platforms into space? As in, build a 9 block below a spaceplatform (build it out of whatever you like, really, a couple've command thingies connected via detonators or something) and then getting THAT into orbit?

I think it might be possible.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 13, 2011, 03:57:18 pm »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 13, 2011, 04:11:34 pm »

Do those long SFR things blow up at like 6500m?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 13, 2011, 04:23:59 pm »

So, it seems pretty easy to mod, except for the meshes which are in .DAE text format. Anyone know how to convert a .blend or .3ds to a .DAE? You will be rewarded with a SRB that uses plump helmet wine.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 13, 2011, 04:53:07 pm »

oop nvm

May aswell do something with this post. I think I might be on to a vanilla design that will ensure Jebediah, Bill and Bob will never see Kerbal again in their lifetime. Needs some tuning...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:55:51 pm by BloodBeard »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 848