Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485046 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I assumed that since it's an acronym for Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile, the definition of an ICBM would be "it can hit and murder things on continents other than the one from which it was fired." Escaping the atmosphere is always a nice touch, but not entirely necessary to complete that objective. It could cruise along at just above ground level, instead.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Then it wouldn't be Ballistic. :P
/missingthepoint

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Then it wouldn't be Ballistic. :P
/missingthepoint
This is also why they don't reach orbital velocity. Details from your external-brain.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

* LordSlowpoke looks around
requesting: mobile launch device with 3+ >4 TWR missiles capable of reaching at least 120000m in a straight line up, for intercepting of craft in multiplayer
Interceptor missile. TWR for atmosphere is overstated by mechjeb, it's actually 5.3 at sea level, 10.8 at 20km, and 7.2 at 30KM. Above 30KM it flames out on a straight vertical launch. I didn't design it with any ground mobility though.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Right, ballistics. Damnit, ballistics!

Leonon: Looks like that design could intercept Eve. If you're really good at interplanetary flights. The warhead looks a little fragile, though. Would it be able to deal any significant damage to an armored target, or would it just get crushed?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

The definition of an ICBM is one that can reach orbit.
The missiles look to be capable of doing that as much as real ones can...

* LordSlowpoke looks around
requesting: mobile launch device with 3+ >4 TWR missiles capable of reaching at least 120000m in a straight line up, for intercepting of craft in multiplayer
Interceptor missile. TWR for atmosphere is overstated by mechjeb, it's actually 5.3 at sea level, 10.8 at 20km, and 7.2 at 30KM. Above 30KM it flames out on a straight vertical launch. I didn't design it with any ground mobility though.

That's pretty neat.

The warhead looks a little fragile, though. Would it be able to deal any significant damage to an armored target, or would it just get crushed?
Armored target?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minmus has gotten its first base in my game. It's on one of the tiniest lake beds, so small you can't really see it from orbit. I was aiming for some hills on a hex with both ore and kethane.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The beginning of an all in one Kethane/Ore/Science base. The launchpad will get here eventually. It could rain missiles down on Kerbin or anywhere in the solar system if you're into that sort of thing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

The warhead looks a little fragile, though. Would it be able to deal any significant damage to an armored target, or would it just get crushed?
Armored target?

A target covered in or composed of high-durability parts. Like metal plates and girders.
I make Spellcrafts!

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Finally I have an actual question about Interstellar.

In one of EnterElysium's videos, he made a plane which used thermal turbojets, which were supposedly getting their thermal energy from antimatter reactors. However, AFAIK it is impossible to start with antimatter already in your tanks.

... So how did he do it? Who was phone?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He either cheated it in through the gamedata, through the persistence file, or had it dropped from orbit.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

He made it possible for the antimatter to start filled.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Leonon: Looks like that design could intercept Eve. If you're really good at interplanetary flights. The warhead looks a little fragile, though. Would it be able to deal any significant damage to an armored target, or would it just get crushed?
It seems to clip through plating. I set up a test with up to 3 plates separated by cubic octagonal struts protecting a hitchhiker storage and it seems to sometimes be able to clip through 2 of the plates effectively. The engine is the part that does the damage though, so the whole thing is strange. I tried putting cubic octagonal struts on the front of the warhead and it just sort of bounces off the plates without doing any damage to either of them, even at >300m/s. All of the tests were in atmosphere from the launchpad up then down to the target.

So far all I've really been able to determine is that KSP armor is weird and hitting targets is hard.

EDIT: Sometimes it passes through the whole target and collides with the surface. This is too buggy and random for me to be able to design a good warhead. If there's a really good and/or easy way to hit a target in orbit I'd still like to hear it though.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:27:08 pm by Leonon »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Armored target?

A target covered in or composed of high-durability parts. Like metal plates and girders.

Yeah, armored. Like Swastikage.

7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Uuhg... Actually that's rather cool ignoring the Swasti part.
Anyway I recall discussions on the KSP forums where extended communitrons were used for armour piercing. The antenna has to hit between the plates for it to work though.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Your swasticage is missing four dots.

Without them it's just an old german political party symbol.
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 848