Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484391 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

A expanded sig?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Notice that I'm not starting anything. I'm just responding. Easy way to get me to stop, if y'all don't want this to continue.

You were just embarrassing yourself.

By the by, resources are still on the table for vanilla KSP. Building things away from Kerbin is probably still a thing. It's been proven to work and will likely become stock. It's certainly less buggy than multiplayer and that's going stock.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:37:11 pm by BigD145 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

What would you call it, then?

A post fulla quotes or something. Ain't your sig if it isn't in your sig. My mod ain't my sig.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

My point was against the orbital launchpads, not orbital construction.
Spacecraft built entirely in orbit and only intended to work in a vacuum are a staple of science fiction. I don't understand why you're so against the idea.
You could apply that same argument to things like reactionless drives and FTL travel.
And the thing is...you can build things in orbit. You just don't want to. And even something like quantum struts is a way less silly way of doing things than a launch pad in orbit.
There is a difference between "dock things to things in space and pretend it was meant to be that way", and emulating an actual orbital shipyard. Even with KAS, there are still many things you plainly can't do with per-module assembly. Extraplanetary Launchpads is just filling in for the abilities you would have IRL, but can't have right now in KSP.
"Pretend it was meant to be this way"? If you're half-competent, you'll have planned it that way and won't need to pretend.
And notice how there is no such thing as an "actual orbital shipyard" in reality, nor plans for one? Notice how KSP is more representative of modern space mission technology than sci-fi (ignoring of course the lack of life support requirements)?
For one, we have canadarms, tethers, personal parachutes, interstage fairings, and laws of aerodynamics in real life, and yet we don't have them in KSP - so KSP not having something does not mean it should not have that something. Secondly... why yes, there is no real orbital shipyard in reality. But then we spend more money on military development per year than on the whole of the space exploration effort across all of its existence, if I recall correctly. In KSP you have much more lift capacity, and much more freedom to do whatever you wish, than all the space agencies of the real world combined twice over. If we wanted to, if we felt we had a need to? We'd have an orbital shipyard a decade ago. An Industrial Space Facility project failed to obtain funding back in the 80s, and it could sure have come in handy for servicing space shuttles.

Thing is, it is, as you said, far easier to hit the same target hanging on a geosync orbit with multiple consecutive launches, than it is launching various different parts to have them combine like Voltron and hopefully not break. Therefore, some form of space assembly platform is very much desirable, assuming there are actually things it has to build - which there currently are none. Anything we want to build is currently either small enough to lift in one go, or is meant to lift itself up - until that hypothetical manned Mars mission we aren't even going to be sending ships of any mentionable size anywhere in the Solar System. So we, in the real world, plainly do not need a space dock - not yet.

In KSP, however, it is a very different story, and if you would project our reality onto the realities of KSP, you would see that an orbital shipyard is an entirely reasonable thing to have.

Also, do make an effort not to insult my design and planning abilities. I am quite capable of assembling interplanetary motherships in orbit, and I do not use the EL mod because I consider its visual aspects downright atrocious, but even I get tired of maneuvering bits of spacecraft into position. When a ship has to be 30% docking ports by mass fraction in order to look like its designer intended it to look, I think it's time to wave vanilla KSP goodbye.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

You know? Screw y'all and your orbital shipyards. (Pretty much just the shipyards, actually.) It's not worth the irritation to argue with y'all.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

So I've just started doing major missions with the latest version, and I've noticed that the mission timer and orbit planner consider five or six hours to be one day.  This is a bug, right?

Spoiler: Meanwhile, on Minmus. (click to show/hide)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Not a bug at all. You can even turn it off in the options.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Note: Kerbal time is different than earth time.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've just started doing major missions with the latest version, and I've noticed that the mission timer and orbit planner consider five or six hours to be one day.  This is a bug, right?

Spoiler: Meanwhile, on Minmus. (click to show/hide)
Nope. Time is now done in Kerbal days. Yay for folks like me who like RP, boo for folks like you who prefer universal Earth time.
And why is Δv for Mun landing lower than Minmus? It should be the opposite.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

And why is Δv for Mun landing lower than Minmus? It should be the opposite.

Typo.

I really wish vanilla KSP had a provision for automatically repeating launches with the same craft.  Since there's no chance of mechanical failure, it's just a chore I'm tired of doing when I want to get landers all over the Mun.  I know there are utilities that can do that, but eh...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really wish vanilla KSP had a provision for automatically repeating launches with the same craft.  Since there's no chance of mechanical failure, it's just a chore I'm tired of doing when I want to get landers all over the Mun.  I know there are utilities that can do that, but eh...
Eh indeed.
Well, if you had something that let you dump fuel, you could hack your way to wherever with as much expended fuel as it took.
Sig

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Thanks for the help, guys.

There was indeed an extra mechjeb part in the parts folder, outside gamedata.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First asteroid grab but having some trouble with stabilizing and centering on its mass. I ended up hitting the roid over .5m/s and it tumbled so things got wobbly.

Finally. That was horrible. First asteroid is captured in Kerbin's SOI. Barely okay to miss Minmus. I go inside and outside its orbit. I definitely need to start color coding front/side/etc of my craft so I know how to torque the klaw and get the center of mass.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Is it possible to have Kethane on asteroids?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Asteroids aren't planets but moveable objects, so I don't think so.
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 848