Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1491655 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

I'd like to see that happen, but it's hard enough to hit a stationary target. I can hardly imagine how difficult it would be to hit a reasonably maneuverable craft that's actively evading you. Anything larger than a fighter would be basically nonviable.

The answer, of course, is to download Interstellar and put warp drive on your torpedoes :P

NOTE: Hilariously, if you use interstellar and crash into a planet while at warp, your capsule (I was using Mk2) tends to survive, and despite the warp drive itself no longer being attached, CONTINUES to fly at warp speed.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

You know it won't do anything, right?
I've been told that already. I just think it would be Fun.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Oh I understand that, I just want to see what It takes to actually move a rock using real rockets :P
I'm sure Randall Munroe would be willing to answer that question and take it to extremes.
But what if we used more power?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Oh I understand that, I just want to see what It takes to actually move a rock using real rockets :P
I'm sure Randall Munroe would be willing to answer that question and take it to extremes.
But what if we used more power?
Some interesting physical effects would destroy it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I decided to try out the extraplanetary launchpad mod. The first thing I did was send a very basic space dock (just the orbital construction dock and a couple spaceship part canisters) into orbit and try to make a tiny probe. The construction bar didn't go up even after some time in time acceleration, but after some fiddling around I found out that the construction would only take place if a kerbal went on EVA. Here's the weird part: it had to be that specific kerbal that left the station. It's not like he was out building the probe because if no one was in the station, or if one kerbal was outside but not that specific one, construction wouldn't continue. Anyone know what's going on? The mod doesn't seem very well documented.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Extraplanetary Launchpad needs Kerbals inside the verhicle. Lots of them. Lots of smart ones. If you don't have that setup you're boned. Even with a big smart crew it is still slow.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's not the problem I was having, I had to take a kerbal out to get any progress done at all. Then again, looking back at his profile reveals he had max stupidity. Are you saying he was so dumb that he was able to completely cancel out the work from the other two kerbals? Is that a feature?
                        - Random human lord

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have never put a max stupidity Kerbal in EL before, so could be. I know there some mechanic for middle-ish stupidity combined with courage. I would say don't put stupid Kerbals in charge of ship construction.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

*looks at his kerbals*
When I eventually add Extraplanetary Launchpads after I restart with ARM so I can have an asteroid base I'll need to remember to keep BOB away from the Construction Vehicle .
Bill however is a great candidate for the job.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh god, what am I doing? *Nogoodnames has claimed a spacecraft hangar*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope I can figure out how to remove those glitchy engines. It would suck to go this far and be denied completion due to a bug.

Edit: Okay, going into the craft file and deleting everything to do with the engines just caused some very bad things to happen, and I don't think it was my fault because the same things happened when I tried deleting the parts manually. I'm starting to get worried.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:58:31 am by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I'm trying to figure out why the red dwarf theme popped into my head.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Phew, figured it out. It was the links between the glitchy parts which weren't deleting properly, so I had to manually delete them. Luckily the engines were mostly on their own so I only had to find the fuel tank they were attached to and remove its links. I wish I knew what caused it. Of course when you start pushing the system to its limits things are bound to break, but I'm worried it may have been one of my mods. Kerbal attachment system seems like the only plausible culprit.
                        - Random human lord

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

I'd like to see that happen, but it's hard enough to hit a stationary target. I can hardly imagine how difficult it would be to hit a reasonably maneuverable craft that's actively evading you. Anything larger than a fighter would be basically nonviable.
You could always try homing missiles (e.g, add probe bodies and some kind of maneuvering system).
Or use lasers.
[/quote]

Thought we were in the Aurora topic for a second with this..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Is that based on something, or an original creation?
It looks good anyway, also now that you mention red dwarf, I wonder if I coukd make a working starbug? Is there an easy way to recolour stock parts? I'm hoping that I coukd merely open the model file for structural panels and so forth and merely change some hex to get a nice red or green.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

I find the mechanical claw from the ARM update very useful for removing space debris from low Kerbin orbit.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 848