Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1491488 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I didn't really mind the hype-building, but someone posted something which makes some sense- by limiting who may film prerelease videos, Squad hurts lesser-known youtubers because by the time they can access the patch, there's little need to see the clip, so regardless of their skill, they won't have an audience. It's certainly not the crime of the century, but it is a little unfair.

In a perfect world, of course, this wouldn't be a problem because every game project would be open source and all game developers would get bottomless government pensions. Restricted by reality, I wouldn't mind if squad kept releases under wraps a little longer and maybe focused on having a strict timeline of giving out prereleases no more than a week before the update hits. Internal teasers are fine, of course.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Restricted by reality, I wouldn't mind if squad kept releases under wraps a little longer and maybe focused on having a strict timeline of giving out prereleases no more than a week before the update hits. Internal teasers are fine, of course.

It's normally like that, but the fact that this is a partnership with NASA means that it is taking more time than normal.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Doing Cupcake style of SSTO's horribly but successfully: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsCHxKLxB_Q
I'm not sure what he's doing.

In other news, my latest attempt to hack a plot-related spacecraft to Minmus caused me to crash into the Mun whilst watching me blow past the encounter on the Map screen. Whoops. Also, wow.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doing Cupcake style of SSTO's horribly but successfully: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsCHxKLxB_Q
I'm not sure what he's doing.

Lots of part clipping. The early parts are all experiments to get something that works. What he ends up with is a Kerbin > Minmus > Kerbin craft with one stage.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Screwing around with rovers for the first time, much fun.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I decided to build a starship. I think it turned out pretty well. Now I need to figure out how to bleed off 12 km/s in a reasonable amount of time in order to get into orbit around Jool.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I decided to build a starship. I think it turned out pretty well. Now I need to figure out how to bleed off 12 km/s in a reasonable amount of time in order to get into orbit around Jool.

Use multiple warps. By jumping from a high orbit to a low one, you reduce your orbital velocity.

Also, try to get into the same orbital velocity as Jool before going there. That makes it much easier. :P

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Use multiple warps. By jumping from a high orbit to a low one, you reduce your orbital velocity.

Also, try to get into the same orbital velocity as Jool before going there. That makes it much easier. :P

You could also aerobrake.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here you go:

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was the first thing I tried, and it only succeeded in increasing my velocity when I went back to a high orbit. And what's the point of having a warp drive if I have to wait to use it? May as well just take the long way at that point.

You could also aerobrake.
Not an option. I'm using deadly reentry, and at those speeds I can barely skim the atmosphere before things start burning up. There are some lazor missiles on board which are the first to go, taking the rest of the ship with them.

Here you go:
Interesting, I'm not sure I completely understand what's going on, but I'll try it on a future mission.

Fortunately, the ship has a quantum vacuum plasma thruster, which I think means it can keep producing thrust as long as there's power. Unfortunately, even at maximum power the thrust is barely enough to move the ship, so it may take several hours to accomplish anything.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

And what's the point of having a warp drive if I have to wait to use it? May as well just take the long way at that point.
There's a reason Scott Manley called it non-OP.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here you go:
Interesting, I'm not sure I completely understand what's going on, but I'll try it on a future mission.

Fortunately, the ship has a quantum vacuum plasma thruster, which I think means it can keep producing thrust as long as there's power. Unfortunately, even at maximum power the thrust is barely enough to move the ship, so it may take several hours to accomplish anything.

Basically you need to match the direction and speed of your target before entering its SOI. Given time within Kerbol's influence you can match the speed of your target. If you warped in just right you should also be going in the same relative direction as your target body, so you can just zip over there. If you're going for the inner planets you'll be diving into the sun because you were traveling at Kerbin's speed which is too slow when you're closer to the sun. If you go to the outer planets you'll be going too fast so you'll be on a trajectory leaving the sun's SOI. That's just how the Alcubierre works. It preserves your velocity and trajectory in space. When you're out of warp then bodies can act on you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I think you mean leaving the planet's SOI. I don't think you can escape the sun's SOI.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as the trajectory lines go you are leaving the sun's SOI. You've pretty much hit the limit of the known universe.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

I think you mean leaving the planet's SOI. I don't think you can escape the sun's SOI.
Technically you'd still be in the sun's modeled SOI, but your orbit would be an escape orbit.
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 848