Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1491431 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

On the other hand, having your mods segregated like that makes it easier to update (or disable) them when a new version comes around, and some work and some don't.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't pick and choose your KSP version, which is where mod versions fall apart making a manager necessary. You have to make separate installs of KSP, so you might as well have the mod loadout you want in each install. New KSP version = mods don't work. You need a new KSP install anyway to cut down on possible vanilla file conflicts.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Eighteen orange tanks? Wow, that's alot of Kerbosene, The most efficient heavy Lifter I've ever devised needed 9 Orange tanks and 2 Oranges worth of 1/4 tanks in order to launch a full orange into a 200km orbit.
Required over a dozen resesigns and 6 launches before I learned to throttle down before the first stage hit 200 km/s.
In later news Jebediahs Space program has started, After an audacious first launch which was unexpectedly manned at the last minute, Kerlington Model Rocket and Paper Products have partnered with Jebediah, Bill, and Bob in order to science the skies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Mission controller seems OK, but a lot of parts have pretty unbalanced prices, if a single seat command pod costs 8k, mech jeb should cost a whole lot more than 4k, also, 400 for an orange tank? Fuel's really cheap, I'm going to need to rebalance the prices of each part as they become available.
It seems I'm misunderstanding how Mission controller calculates costs, fuel is seperate? I'm going to see what I can do to change costs. Hmm, 50k bucks for an orange tank worth of fuel seems excessive, what kind of funding do mission controller missions provide? I might reduce fuel costs a little.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:09:11 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I have been struck with an idea, but it requires some save file editing. Hence, I have two questions:

1. If you, hypothetically, landed a spacecraft on something in one save, then wanted to put it on the same body in another save, how would you do this?
1b. Could you use this same method for spacecraft in orbit around something?
2. If I wanted to remove a probe body from it to keep it from being controlable, how would I do that?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

It's surprisingly easy on both counts actually. The save file format is really simple - all you need to do is find the ship in the first save file, copy-paste it into the other one, and then edit the probe out.

As for how to DO that - first you'll wanna name the ship something easy to search for, because otherwise it'll likely be a pain to find. Then, you go to the persistent.sfs file in your saves/<savefilename> directory and copy everything from the start of the "VESSEL" tag, to the end of it. Which can be a bit annoying to locate, but simple enough. Similarly, each part in the ship is a PART {} tag, which you can just delete. Just have to find the probe body, select that full tag, and get rid of it.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks! Now I just need to remember where I had put MechJeb so I can do all that...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I added mods last night to improve my game (I hoped). When I loaded up the sandbox, none of the things I had would load because of missing parts. I head to the VAB and discover that no parts are available to build things with. As far as I can tell, the problem is that the game doesn't think I have those parts unlocked. Of course, that doesn't explain the lack of flags. I start a new Sandbox game, and determine that the parts are missing from that, too.

Well then. Glad I made a backup. Time to try again, I guess...

EDIT: A more careful re-install worked. Although now I've discovered that I suck at cheating.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:31:38 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Did you by chance delete/overwrite the Squad folder?

That's about the only thing I can think of it being.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dunno.

Um. New problem. After copying the spaceship from one file to the other, I've discovered that neither save wants to load. I click Continue and nothing happens. Any idea why? Could it have something to do with the deleted probe body being the central part?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:05:37 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was the probe connecting two branches in the same ship? Then you done fudged it all up. You made two crafts in one craft sort of section.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was the core part. I took off all but one of the "branches".
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you have to have a core of some sort.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh.

And I just remembered that I planned to try putting a stack separator between the probe and the bit I wanted to keep. That would have probably helped.

Now to...do something.
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I design lots of my ships with parts that will decouple, usually mod related so when things break or I drop a mod I don't lose an entire craft.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I always explained to myself that a spaceraft responding to my input going in the opposite direction (yawing left made the craft going right) was due to random flaws in the model triggered by having rotated a surface on a weird angle.

turns out it is the expected behaviour at high speed if you have a large enough control surface

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 848