Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490782 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Okay, that's... Why. Whyyyy

That's too much over-kill. Like seriously. :I WHY SO MANY ROCKETS? The game can't handle that much, that's why it's going wrong, the physics are going "Fuck this." and things are clipping in to each other. You don't need THAT MANY ROCKETS to even get to fucking Jool, or... you know, the entire system.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Given how large it is, I won't be surprised if the physics engine is just having an aneurysm and dying, causing it to collapse.

Anyways, that really, REALLY needs more struts. It needs to look like a Faraday cage.
Can do. I was worried that the struts would affect the aerodynamic profile, but the game doesn't seem to care too much, as far as I can tell.

Okay, that's... Why. Whyyyy

That's too much over-kill. Like seriously. :I WHY SO MANY ROCKETS? The game can't handle that much, that's why it's going wrong, the physics are going "Fuck this." and things are clipping in to each other. You don't need THAT MANY ROCKETS to even get to fucking Jool, or... you know, the entire system.
There is no such thing as overkill. There is only open fire and reload. Also, I got something very similar, but much smaller, to outside the Mun's orbit and back. So, I decided to go bigger.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Okay, there's a trick to all this. SRBs are kinda junk for going large distances, especially staged like that. You want liquid fuels staged with fuel connectors flowing inward ("asparagus staging"), like so:
Code: [Select]
    O
    V
    O
    V
O>O>O<O<O
    ^
    O
    ^
    O

And that's for a particularly heavy-duty lifter, using mainsails.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Okay. So, what you're telling me is: Do it again, but be more fuel efficient. :P

Anyway, I knocked off the outermost rockets on the first stage, and it flew! Without breaking apart! The solid rockets alone got my apoapsis to about 700km.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Okay. So, what you're telling me is: Do it again, but be more fuel efficient. :P

It's also way, way, way more TWR efficient, which means way more delta V efficient.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, from personal experience, trying to land something with a center of mass that high (presuming that the landing legs are the bottom of your lander) is likely to result in your lander tipping over and exploding if you have even the slightest horizontal velocity, and your Kerbals may or may not survive to be stranded on the Mun for all eternity.

That said, I'm going to see if I can finally get a Mun landing in storymode and bring the poor kerbalnaut back this time. Then, I plan to establish an autonomous mothership... thing that'll drop a retrieval probe from orbit so the other poor bastard down there can come home.

Then, Minmus. Oh boy.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Also, from personal experience, trying to land something with a center of mass that high (presuming that the landing legs are the bottom of your lander) is likely to result in your lander tipping over and exploding if you have even the slightest horizontal velocity, and your Kerbals may or may not survive to be stranded on the Mun for all eternity.

That said, I'm going to see if I can finally get a Mun landing in storymode and bring the poor kerbalnaut back this time. Then, I plan to establish an autonomous mothership... thing that'll drop a retrieval probe from orbit so the other poor bastard down there can come home.

Then, Minmus. Oh boy.
Minmus is actually far easier to land onto and come back from.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: I regret nothing. (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Launched my Kerbal Konstruction Station. Uses Extra-Planetary Launchpads (with Kethane), can't wait to start using it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

fuel connectors flowing inward ("asparagus staging"), like so:

asparagus is with fuel connector spiraling inward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQTKIWMWhAo&feature=youtu.be

(there's a plugin for that! cool!)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Oh that is handy.... Asparagus staging takes so much time to do by hand, matching the decouplers with the right stage, and I often use decoupling SRBs that need to be split up as well...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I found sometimes with insanely overdone rocket stacks that the weight just causes some stacks to unglue and fall off, the solution is of course more struts, also more launch clamps can help.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Oh that is handy.... Asparagus staging takes so much time to do by hand, matching the decouplers with the right stage, and I often use decoupling SRBs that need to be split up as well...
I agreement with this sentiment. Adjusting seperatrons is annoying.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

I can also recommend KW rocketry mod, they have medium and heavy struts that are heavier but can hold more weight. Some say cheat, I say less work.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why did i fragging read there's an app for that too! ....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 848