Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490670 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wow! congrats!

did you do it by hopping trough biomes or using a rover? (or both =P)
I'm trying to find out the right way to use the Science Lab. I built a single rocket that broke down in four parts: One orbiter/return capsule with a Kethane detector (I know, Kethane is cheating), one rover/lifter (no wheels but gets around by flying), a lab/livingspace/fuel base, and a mining/fuel/refinery tower. After having landed all except the orbiter I connected the mining tower to the lab (using KAS), put two kerbals in there, and then had the third one use the rover/lifter loaded with science to hop around to the various biomes (Flats, Lesser Flats, Great Flats, Greater Flats, Lowlands, Midlands, Poles, Slopes, I only missed the highland one), and refuel at the main base after each hop. I only used the Science Lab to reset the goo and materials modules, and returned with about 60 experiments (went up with the rover with 3 kerbals on it, met up with the orbiter, and used that to get home).

Hard parts: the lifter. It's really hard flying around on an unbalanced vehicle. Low thrust and careful use of RCS and reaction wheels for maneuvering, after some practice I got better at it. Using it to lift the heavy Science Lab module (which also had fuel tanks and that big station-module) to the surface and landing it close to the mining tower was even harder. Getting the entire unbalanced contraption into orbit without it falling apart took quite a few tries as well. During the whole mission I felt myself getting better at doing stuff manually, where I used MechJeb before. Rendezvous, docking, landing, maneuvers, I all do them manually now. I do still use the orbital calculator to find planet-to-planet transfer windows, though.

I'm really liking these transformers-type builds with multiple craft in one launch. Yesterday I flew by Duna with a Science Lab orbiter, a lander for Ike, and a small landing probe for Duna. Does anyone know of a mod that has robotic arms or other moving parts? I like trying to build tiny aerodynamic packages for launch and then expand those into big spacethings.
Infernal Robotics is what you want for movable arms and hinges
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Infernal Robotics is what you want for movable arms and hinges
Oh wow, that looks awesome! Thanks!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

How is Kethane cheating? o-o
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I think it gives too much fuel for there brains to handle.
Else you are required to ship fuel everywhere...

Christ, I wish the game had resources stock allready...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

anybody running a server?

Ruskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe....one of my friends was planning on hosting a KMP server before the holidays....got a bit busy with xmas and stuff so we decided to wait a bit

I'll ask him if he wants to host it now that everything's back to normal

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

So KMP is actually working reasonably well now, huh?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

If KMP is working well and not crashing every 12.3 minutes I'll look into running a server again.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Alrite srsly gize.

What shape does a rover need to be so that it doesn't flip over when I'm turning (or sometimes just going straight) at more than 10 m/s?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Trapeozoidal, with enough weight at the bottom to ballast

Look into lesser grippy tires as you would want the rover to skid, not to tumble

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, I forget if it's still a problem with the most recent version, but the last few versions had the default keys for wheel control and rotation control be the same keys, which ended up with the rover wanting to tilt in the direction you were going/turning. A rover without a lot of weight or a wide wheel base or with too much torque due to reaction wheels could easily flip because of this.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Solution: switch to docking mode when rovering.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Yep. And hope the tires arent on backwards.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Mission to Duna (bad planning, but we made it)

And my first attempt at "folding engines" using Infernal Robotics:

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 848