Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489765 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7245 on: November 14, 2013, 02:31:26 am »

Alright, testing a small craft at the launchpad, six intakes mounted on a bottom docking port can take the impact very well, with only the fuel tanks exploding (of course). Hit the ground at 50 m/s. Have yet to test on the actual Mun, or with much sideways velocity, but I suspect this will only work going almost straight down.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7246 on: November 14, 2013, 04:14:27 am »

There is a pretty lame way (in stock game) to save even more weight on landing legs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've used it to land a heavy return craft on Eve with 15-20m/s ground impact speed.
Um, you sure? They're like half a ton each.
In hangar or VAB yes, but their mass is 0 in flight, as is the mass of some more parts like struts, cubic struts fuel lines etc.
Thats why it's important to place landing gear last when designing a plane, as the center of mass shown in SPH with gear on will be different in flight and may cause problems.

a small example showcasing extreme infiniglide
12 small control sufraces and 8000m/s almost at sea level :P It wouldn't be possible if the had any mass.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: November 14, 2013, 04:33:23 am »

Trebuchets? So old-fashioned. We use cannons nowadays:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRcetShcw8Q

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: November 14, 2013, 05:03:13 am »

Alright, tried testing on the Mun, but got distracted by trying something absolutely insane:
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: November 14, 2013, 05:51:47 am »

Alright, tried testing on the Mun, but got distracted by trying something absolutely insane:
Trying to intake air on the Mun? Otherwise I don't see it...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: November 14, 2013, 06:01:03 am »

Trying to intake air on the Mun? Otherwise I don't see it...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: November 14, 2013, 11:22:30 am »

KerbSat network. One has already drifted over the horizon. It's all going to be replaced as I gain science and parts, so no biggie.
Ultimately I would like 6 in orbit so any one can be directed at Kerbal Command as they slide around. 3 antenna's minimum just for network and ground communication. 1-2 dishes for bouncing out.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: November 14, 2013, 11:40:11 am »

Why not set a kerbosynchronous orbit?  The wiki has details on what altitude/velocity achieves a perfectly stable orbit.  Plant that above KSP and enjoy!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: November 14, 2013, 11:51:20 am »

Why not set a kerbosynchronous orbit?  The wiki has details on what altitude/velocity achieves a perfectly stable orbit.  Plant that above KSP and enjoy!

They are kerbosynchronous. It has to be perfect or they will slip and my insertion vehicle did not have much in the way of fine tuning. The force of a decoupler can throw things off. I'm going for redundancy because it's necessary.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: November 14, 2013, 11:59:32 am »

I just sent a refuelling vessel to Ike and refueled the ship, thus returning from my first manned mission from that far away.

Also, my good Spaceplane Pilot is done for. I attempted a no-engine landing with a spaceplane, not thinking about how fast it would be going because of the thin atmosphere. I was forced to pull the emergency chutes, tearing off the entire back of the plane, which flew away and was destroyed, leaving only a cockpit and battery bank hanging there.

Luckily, the battery lasted just long enough to transmit some good sciences. I'll miss you, Chadory.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: November 14, 2013, 12:06:41 pm »

Luckily, the battery lasted just long enough to transmit some good sciences. I'll miss you, Chadory.
Any landing you can walk away from is a success.
Any flight that transmits science back is a success.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: November 14, 2013, 12:17:37 pm »

Yeah, managed my first round trip to another world! Since the Mun is obviously cursed, it was done on Minmus. The sweet, sweet science let me buy the Kethane detector, and I now have one satellite orbiting Kerbin and another around the Mun. Now, I have one question: do the satellite only detect when it's the active ship?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: November 14, 2013, 12:26:02 pm »

Now, I have one question: do the satellite only detect when it's the active ship?

Yes. Active ships are happy ships. Inactive ships are slackers. It's not just physics that turn off when you get a certain distance away from craft you are not "in".

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: November 14, 2013, 12:27:06 pm »

Oh well, I'll let them orbit for a while in the background then.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: November 14, 2013, 12:31:34 pm »

Oh well, I'll let them orbit for a while in the background then.

You can speed up time to 50x or 100x on Kerbin or the Mun. Minmus you may have to go faster as your orbit is so damn slow. Anything faster and your scanner will skip hexes. You only need to find pockets anyway as each hex is not its own reservoir, the whole patch is the reservoir.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 848