Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485512 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #705 on: July 18, 2011, 01:14:55 pm »

The ETA for version 0.9 is "three weeks", which will supposedly include symmetrical reconnectors (i.e. 1-to-3 and 3-to-1), a totally redesigned staging system (so you can define as many stages as you want, any way you want), and some other changes.  Three weeks sure sounds like a long time, when you've only been playing for a week.

I lust for a proper 3-1 connector. That would make my second-to-last stage so much more effective.

Also, I lust for a stack decoupler that doesn't block itself when you attach two SRBs side-by-side.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 18, 2011, 01:28:25 pm »

Actually trying to do a controled landing without a parachute, awesome. Practice for the moon.

By efficient I assume you mean for landing a lander and not just a regular capsule. Well from my experience, the atmosphere is sooo thick that you slow down incredibly fast, to the point where you eventually lose all horizontal movement and fall vertically. I'd do a regular deorbit burn (what you described is called a retro-grade burn) and wait untill you're pretty close to the ground before slowing yourself with thrusters. I wouldn't even worry about lateral movement, the atmosphere will fix that for you. Would probably take a lot of testing.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 18, 2011, 02:03:34 pm »

My rocket failed because i forgot to add fuel to a liquid engine!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 18, 2011, 02:21:58 pm »

Actually trying to do a controled landing without a parachute, awesome. Practice for the moon.

By efficient I assume you mean for landing a lander and not just a regular capsule. Well from my experience, the atmosphere is sooo thick that you slow down incredibly fast, to the point where you eventually lose all horizontal movement and fall vertically. I'd do a regular deorbit burn (what you described is called a retro-grade burn) and wait untill you're pretty close to the ground before slowing yourself with thrusters. I wouldn't even worry about lateral movement, the atmosphere will fix that for you. Would probably take a lot of testing.
Ya, the atmos will typically take you down to about 100-150m/s, at which point slowing down to landing speed takes a negligible amount of fuel.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 18, 2011, 02:23:40 pm »

Wait until the athmo heat you up...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 18, 2011, 02:23:59 pm »

What is a regular de-orbit burn? Just point yourself down?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 18, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »

If you're reasonably close to the atmosphere, a burn downwards might get you to rapidly slow down and deorbit. In other cases, the best way is to reverse course and slow down to less-than-orbital speeds.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 18, 2011, 02:36:56 pm »

In other cases, the best way is to reverse course and slow down to less-than-orbital speeds.
This, you can very easily deorbit by just slowing down. It takes much less fuel to go below the speed necessary to orbit the planet than it does to redirect your force downwards.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 18, 2011, 02:45:29 pm »

Is there any reason to not go full throttle all the way across the sky?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 18, 2011, 02:47:23 pm »

Is there any reason to not go full throttle all the way across the sky?
It's less fuel efficient while still in the atmosphere than slow acceleration. There's a lot of drag in the atmosphere and your fuel is better spent above the 35km mark.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 18, 2011, 02:50:58 pm »

Also, engines overheating causes them to explode. Not the best thing to do with an engine, for certain.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 18, 2011, 03:13:42 pm »

I forgot which subforum I was on, and thought it was going to be like this:  http://www.astronauts4hire.org/  which is a real thing that exists.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 18, 2011, 03:19:59 pm »

I am designing a spacecraft composed of 4 stages, a booster stage boosting the vessel above the 35 km mark, an orbiter stage wich puts the vessel in a LEO and a deorbiting stage, then a lander module, currently i am working on the lander module, it just an space orange right now, and proably wont be anything else. I am working on an LW orbiter, wich is also going to be cool to look at when deorbiting. The deorbiter should just be a very strong engine with very little fuel capacity. The boosters are just the regular death-trap-stack-o-doom wich goes apeshit.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 18, 2011, 03:48:27 pm »

The most efficient way to deorbit is to do a retro-grade burn at apoapsis. That would be burning in the direction of the yellow circle with an X through it at the highest point in your orbit. How long you burn depends on how high your orbit is, but with how powerful these engines are a few seconds at max thrust will probably be enough.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 18, 2011, 04:36:38 pm »

Hey!  0.8.5 just came out!

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 848